C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

Cool, let me know. I'm not in a rush either. Gotta get the frame out for welding, blasting, and Powdercoating before I need them.

i have a few questions:

what is the reason for putting the spacers between the box and the adapter plates?

when using the 73-up a-body pitman arm does it matter if it is a power or nonpower steering pitman arm if there is a difference?

There are webbed support gussets that are cast in to the back side of the Jeep mounting ears. That is the reason for the spacers and the reason the backside of the lugs are spotfaced.

The Chevelle pitman must be a PS arm. The manual won't fit.

448559ee36d9d9.jpg

I think I'll be doing this pretty soon. What length 7/16 bolts did you use? Also what drill bit do I use before I tap 7/16"

I looked it up and saw 25/64 for fine and 23/64 for course. I think I'll go with fine

I used 7/16-20 bolts, 5 1/2 inches long. I used them with heavy washers under the heads. The Jeep gear will transmit more twisting force into the frame because the servo is on the gear (rather than the drag link). That's the reason for the larger bolts.

Is it to late?

I wish I would have found this site earlier. Is it to late to get in on the plate set ordering?

The drawings are available in the DL section, it yould be MUCH cheaper if you guys got together and had a whole bunch of them laser or plasma cut out of a thick slab of aluminum.

I wouldn't use aluminum for the plates, best to stick with steel for them.

I think Yellow73SB had a source to get them made.

I wouldn't use aluminum for the plates, best to stick with steel for them.

I think Yellow73SB had a source to get them made.

Oh yeah, forgot you actually thread into them, they're not just spacers. My bad :)

I haven't even taken the pitman arm of the box yet

It will be awhile until I do it, it doesn't seem like a hard swap though. I need to get my truck running and driving first. Plus my uncles car is on the lift right now. So probably in 1-2 months I'll do it.

I'm getting started tomorrow

The car lift should be open after the next auto-x so I can do the install

I'm going to spot face the box and tap the adapters tomorrow at the machine shop

I think I'll order the steering arm from speedway

Also how thick should I make the adapters?

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a good Jeep box I have one. I was going to do this swap and got a box off a 6000 mile 02 or 04. I got a good deal on a Steeroids system so I went that way. I can post a picture if needed.

Better hang onto it until you have the steeroids installed so you can always go back to the jeep box. The roids is junk.

Better hang onto it until you have the steeroids installed so you can always go back to the jeep box. The roids is junk.

YEH, but all needs do is change a couple things and it's fine...no biggie...assuming the input linkage smooths out with the adjustment there, and don't bind...

:rain:

if you ask me, they should have called it hemorrhoids because that's what it is, a bloody paint in the ass

if you ask me, they should have called it hemorrhoids because that's what it is, a bloody paint in the ass

:p thing that is so funny is my system works fine, and so they try telling me it won't fit on a bolt on basis, on account of two joints being used instead of 3, and that is bullshit right off the bat....I can see header problems, and pan problems but that's the ONLY concession I would put to my install fitting any other shark....easy bolt in otherwise....

and stock tie rod ends which I think are far superior to that other crap...:shocking: