C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

Mine is a '65, not Collapsible here........... It's a solid spear right at chest level.:gurney:

With kit you buy for this conversion they have one shorten the column. That will be the way I go.....
Frank.

Are these drawling released yet?

I have a jeep box

PS: If there is enough interest I'm sure that a guy I know will make the 1/2" adapters for us. CNC plasma cut and he can drill the holes too. I'm getting some 4x4 stuff cut out by him right now.

PS2: Where do the tube spacers go?

Last edited:
I have the plates at the laser cutters right now. They should be done by the end of the week. With any luck, I can get this mounted this weekend.

The tube spacers go between the back side of the gear mounting lugs and the 1/2" plates.

I have the plates at the laser cutters right now. They should be done by the end of the week. With any luck, I can get this mounted this weekend.

The tube spacers go between the back side of the gear mounting lugs and the 1/2" plates.

How much was it to get them laser cut?

And I just asked because there was 4 of those spacers, you only need 3 right?

I don't know how much it is to get them cut. That's the reason for the delay, I put them in with some other parts that I was having laser cut.

There are 4 spacers for the 4 lugs on the Jeep gear.

All the dimensions look right. The drop is different, but only about 1/4 inch (also depends on how they are measuring it). Looks like a bolt on to me, nice find.

Using Kid Vettes CAD model of the Jeep gear, I was able to make an exploded view that shows how these parts go together. The red areas of the steering gear are where the machine work has been done to the gear. The cutoff tube section is the frame rail.

4489350f1f22bb.jpg

4489350f309c37.jpg

4489350f40ea6d.jpg

4489350f5864bc.jpg

All the dimensions look right. The drop is different, but only about 1/4 inch (also depends on how they are measuring it). Looks like a bolt on to me, nice find.

Theres also this arm but it's .5" shorter

Also as far as the drag link goes I'm going to try and find a tie rod end instead of using the crappy stock manual set up

I need to find a steering one that doesn't swivel though

Just thought I would post a pic of my box

101_2084.jpg

And a chevelle pitman arm

101_2085.jpg

Last edited:
Yellow73, It looks like your on your way to the install. I missed the part about the shovel. Where's it go? :)

Finally got the plates and bolted the Jeep gear this weekend. Everything lined up so the drawings are verified. I will post a drawing and parts list in the downloads section on Monday.

I used 7/16 bolts for the frame attachment (stock is 3/8). This requires drilling out the frame rail holes and the rear hole is very difficult to get to with the body on. So I will modify all the drawings and information for 3/8 bolts.

4489df9904577f.jpg

Here is the pitman arm needed (GM p/n 7814221 )

449bd087a0330b.jpg