C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

Excellent

I'll send them out

I'll get them laser cut so I don't have to drill any holes myself

I just sent the file out for a price

What did you Clearance the box for the bolts with?

I think I want to use the bigger bolts also

I just sent the file out for a price

What did you Clearance the box for the bolts with?

I think I want to use the bigger bolts also

The faced off surface of the 4 12mm holes on the Jeep gear were done with a 3/4" end mill and the 3 "toenail" cuts for the 3 7/16 frame bolts were done with a 1/2" end mill. Give the shop this drawing for the positions of these:

44859255fdc8a3.jpg

It looks like I can probably do them with a die grinder, may take awhile though

I'll see what I can do for the spot face, I imagine an engine machine should have one right? If not one of the guys at our shops dad works a full blown machine shop that has every thing you could think of

It looks like I can probably do them with a die grinder, may take awhile though

I'll see what I can do for the spot face, I imagine an engine machine should have one right? If not one of the guys at our shops dad works a full blown machine shop that has every thing you could think of

Any good shop should have a 1/2 and 3/4 endmill. It is very important that the spot faces are flat and while your setup to do that it's easy to do the toenail cuts with the 1/2".

So while you guys are getting a set of plates cut out any chance someone could do a couple of sets, one set for me? If we were to do a few sets it would keep the costs down and I would have a better chance of getting correctly made plates...... I would be happy to prepay.

So while you guys are getting a set of plates cut out any chance someone could do a couple of sets, one set for me? If we were to do a few sets it would keep the costs down and I would have a better chance of getting correctly made plates...... I would be happy to prepay.

I could do that but it

I could maybe ask them to ship them directly to you to save on shipping

I'm getting it done here,

www.ballisticfabrication.com

Could someone please tell me how to open this file from the downloads section? "Jeep Steering Adapter Plates (for laser cut) "

There are two different kind of files for the Jeep steering plates. One is a .pdf file that could be opened on any computer that has Adobe Acrobat. Most computers have this utility, if you don't, you can download it for free. Use this drawing if you want to print a template to scale and machine the parts.

The other file is a .dxf file. This can be opened with most CAD programs. This is what a laser or waterjet cutter would need to cut the parts. If you give this file to them, they can open it. Use this file if you are having the plates made.

Thanks guys, was able to open the pdf but what do I do with the .dxf? We do have a small machine shop in town [with some new equipment that they're braggin' about] so wanted to take it by and see if they could work with it before I get involved with a possible group order.
Thanks, Frank.

I'll take a set from you if you can get a few made

Did you get a quote from this place, www.ballisticfabrication.com?

If you go to a laser or waterjet cutter, most will want $75+ for setup plus the cost of the cut. This is if you have 1 set made or 100 sets made. Personally, I would have a local machine shop make them because you are still going to need machine work on the Jeep gear and make the spacers.

Most commercial machine shops (if not all) can read the .dxf file.

Sorry guys, but I think all this computer/lazer cut pieces are a huge waste of time and money...something easily done in any home shop with a few tools and maybe a couple clamps....total time maybe 2 hours?? not totally putting down the efforts, but really now....

I look at like that steeroids crap.....much adoo over nothing, to quote Walt Kelly....

:thumbs:

I'll take a set from you if you can get a few made

Did you get a quote from this place, www.ballisticfabrication.com?

If you go to a laser or waterjet cutter, most will want $75+ for setup plus the cost of the cut. This is if you have 1 set made or 100 sets made. Personally, I would have a local machine shop make them because you are still going to need machine work on the Jeep gear and make the spacers.

Most commercial machine shops (if not all) can read the .dxf file.

I sent them an email but never got a response. I can send them a PM though, they post on a forum I post on.

They shouldn't be too high in price

Last edited: