Bloverlanding in a Blazer

sometimes it just floors me how little I can accomplish in 2 hours (my normal 'shop time')
tonight... I cleaned valve covers. Wait, you say, you cleaned them yesterday. Well sure, the scrap ones.... didn't know they'd be scrap until I took a wire wheel to get the silicone off.... not even someone else's fault...

so onto the 'new' (now clean) ones
XmTcaMvh.jpg
then started cleaning another and wondered... why is there a vent? was there a vent on the H1 motor...
5VOR795h.jpg
now it's 11 and I'm looking for that answer

yes, yes there was
OYrvqcrh.jpg

time to pull the trans
but first, picture for posterity (and so I can remember where all the brackets go)
azC4rAE.jpg
E6EAGVwh.jpg
AgXHbAlh.jpg

pulled the starter, this is the spendy version ....
P4KoHQGh.jpg
just forgot one bolt and one cable... the cable was frayed so I don't feel bad hacking it
bmkHvUXh.jpg
I win
akDH5ksh.jpg

tomorrow, motor (I hope)
I45yoYNh.jpg

this will make a good 'for sale' picture .... or maybe
I45yoYNh.jpg
I'll play the theme song to Raiders of the Lost Ark where Harrison Ford is arguing the ark needs to be in a museum while it's put into a box then rolled back in a faceless warehouse...
T0p4p1dh.jpg
[video]https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxKcaVReMYmTXXog_MIZ-twg1W_fBTdtUY[/video]

time for the missed-wire-stress test, aka the 'how to do an Exxon Valdez for fun and profit'
3D2ASgEh.jpg
yep, have a perfectly good forklift behind me and I use this... and bend it more... no promises about whether or not I'll risk the new motor with the cherry picker
t8y1dc1h.jpg
look, greasy hole
ViiLd1Vh.jpg
more greasy holes
ahvWx9vh.jpg
I am going to scrap this, however, all the brackets and such will make life simpler on the new motor... so those come off. Also, I think it has a relatively new injection pump... score
xLS3iMTh.jpg

Reactions: rtj
more assembly
if anyone is interested in the difference between a 6.5 with PCM and a 6.5 without (the same as 6.2s)
oKzjUUWh.jpg
Ct3yWich.jpg
getting closer
1B1yV0bh.jpg
and a bit of an annoyance.... the new glow plug had messed up threads... thankfully I didn't force it, but ran my thread cleaner to test the head, then tested this .... it jammed...
LpkWgrVh.jpg

ah well.... still a ways to go, and this isn't the fun stuff, I need to finish the assembly then get to installing the turbo

oil cooler adapters... the 6.5 is bigger...
kN9Ve89h.jpg
the only downside is I bought new oil lines for the 86, not the 99 H1... no biggie, I'll AN them
I would love to know how they managed this - it's a rear, driver's seat captive nut....
SgeinvFh.jpg
and while we're at learnin' who thought that fence-wiring down the driver's seat was a good idea
4Ujgg2Uh.jpg
time to find out what lies beneath
kRPzqFrh.jpg
not bad
HbOoRPGh.jpg
xcHkwh3h.jpg
If you live on the east coast, look away.... it's terrible, terrible rust
9PxkZ2Vh.jpg
h9x2oKfh.jpg
I know, terrible (not really).. this is actually a very common problem with this generation of K5 Blazers
W2qStWah.jpg
but still, if you're on the east coast, this is what floors look like
baR1qykh.jpg

The 6.2 in scrap form. I'll hang behind the shop in the scrap bin for a little bit but ultimately what you're seeing here is a new Kia.
Ue1qMioh.jpg
strangely the exhaust bolts came out without too much trouble... 200,000 mile motor but a 34,000 mile motor couldn't come apart
qnV0EsSh.jpg
uBpfXq3h.jpg
test fitting time again
2fZfqUph.jpg
vacuum pump fitted
2RXxVY7h.jpg
lots of little things to do, but this is the general idea
hyVDj9qh.jpg
Happiness is large turbos
FJ0yH7sh.jpg

7 months is what it takes to fill a shop 8x larger by volume
vzUFNNLh.jpg
Paul's Corvette is back for its BBC
0bCQpvSh.jpg

Today was more about cleanup
SPsK0Cmh.jpg
nowhere near done, but gained a lot of room
gA39hSmh.jpg

Did, however, get the front axle moved forward
jeCJEm3h.jpg
VbxjHHth.jpg

next up, spring pockets.

tonight's task - start with the spring perches
wyrZq8Gh.jpg
level and align
5CXNwJPh.jpg
love this measuring tool.... glad I bought when I did.... omg they're expensive now.... like 4x what I paid
hF4gDRJh.jpg

at least the idea
rDC8FiEh.jpg
some parts came in, such as the pillar gauge pods
ZuFPvO8h.jpg
egt gauge (so I can drill and tap the exhaust also the manifold bolts... early, even
HpOoVlCh.jpg

Spring pockets.
tthGUDFh.jpg
does it work?
ZZx2LQOh.jpg
works fine on the passenger side, driver's side, decisions are being made
hPskA9jh.jpg
with some mods...
vf2QJXeh.jpg
the schedule 40 tube is a bit larger - I need that space - so a bit of shaving and it's fine
P7k7N1Xh.jpg
rather then being an inch above the frame (optimal), it'll be even with the frame top...
dBWbqOUh.jpg
and it works... though it seems a bit angry
UhYeQJGh.jpg
passenger side too
A0xButUh.jpg
3 pods, 3 gauges, tach, EGT, boost
c86vE4Lh.jpg

today's side fun. I need 2 of those hooky things... bought this kit to replace the chinese junk I've been suffering with.... but the whole reason to purchase... yeah, I got half the parts I needed... damn
G4ZYVYyh.jpg

in news, one tack holding it in place... that I'll need to knock apart... no worries, this is still in the fitting stage. still finding it hard to believe that it's all going to fit, but there it is right before my eyes so I've gotta believe it.
DevFhurh.jpg
passenger side is better and might get burned into place
LGf1ZPrh.jpg

nice work, I always wondered how quickly a person could fill up a bigger shop. I am sure I would suffer the same fate. its like old people and mice all they need is a little tunnel to get around everyting else is fair game for "treasures"

In all fairness to myself, I have a Blazer mostly dismantled - once it's back together and the extra parts stored away again... I'll have quite a bit more room - but it is true, chaos fills whatever space you allow it.

lots easier to work when the inner fenders are out
LoxXVfgh.jpg
2kusm8gh.jpg zz0.ep1b2smk10ozz
wgBSxXoh.jpg
it was not fun
BRnMfMPh.jpg zz0.3a3ll7t2ihxzz
truth is I didn't like the schedule 40 brackets, so I rebuilt them
lUSxkcvh.jpg
NJW0cCRh.jpg
and tail is now draggin
PXGHRBZh.jpg
8hbv9QLh.jpg

Oops - wasn't planning on getting this far tonight
p6OJkLFh.jpg
tonight's plan was get the clutch pedals installed
ntgwoKah.jpg
then brown santa arrived, so I got distracted
VUjYZPyh.jpg
figured out what the 'kit' was missing....
P9WUCFqh.jpg
elbows, the pan fitting was supposed to be steel... ah well
xUpea7Vh.jpg
the good news is what was sent, fits... which is actually kind of an exception
P9WUCFqh.jpg
back to work
well, maybe I should put the new throwout and slave cylinder on... then realize I need another part that I thought I already had
q6fzTOgh.jpg
to put the master cylinder (that I don't have) in place... I needed to remove the fender and get after all the stuff that was stored on the fender
BfNXgGRh.jpg
cece241h.jpg
I did have success, I put another hole in the floor
0yPMJMFh.jpg
what I didn't realize was that after removing the inner fender, the fender was held on by 3 bolts...so it came off.. need to anyway but it wasn't in the plan for tonight
p6OJkLFh.jpg

and never fear, there is Corvette content coming with that red one that's on the lift... bear with me... we'll be there soon

I have every master cylinder but the right one
UjEOyNx.jpg
I ordered the right one - forgot GM went to hydraulic clutches in these in the 80s... so I ordered a replacement and the correct line to make it all work
this poor table, as much as I am leary of HF stuff, this one has taken the abuse .... but not to clear it off to abuse it again
RSf9ujQ.jpg
500 lbs lol
oDoc1pW.jpg
and it carried the truck there for a minute
0AXNNH8.jpg
strap it, lift it, move it
lCs6nfW.jpg
the hole is in the wrong spot so moving it around... I abuse my trans lift even more
CDE1j2B.jpg
I need to clear the lift, to do that means making space - so I might as well do two things at once, and get the trans in the truck

i dont what surprises me more the size of the transmission or the size of the coffee containers, maybe everything is bigger on that coast

as the sun sets on other projects
u56j2M8h.jpg
time to get back onto completing this
ocEYs7ph.jpg
but first, time to block the motor up - this stand does not give me warm fuzzies on its strength
Hk6y2mSh.jpg
I was reading somewhere about someone getting some lines crossed on their 6.5... didn't think much about it but decided to check while on these... good thing I did those front two were wrong
NJdgKLih.jpg
these were fine but I spent more than a little bit of time on them because those two lines that weren't right had been Bubba modified
GqhAAguh.jpg
people who know 6.2/6.5 motors will see how f**kd up lines to 2 and 4 were
89mYQpjh.jpg
close, but as long as they don't rub, they're good.... I'm also not quite done because I need to tie lines together to prevent them from contact. Do I know where all my other 6.2 lines are? yep, I scrapped them just before I moved in May *d'oh*
fpXJuOrh.jpg
also started on the clutch.... a 83 c10 master cylinder... just need to figure out the thread pitch and get an AN adapter
4v9CjBxh.jpg
strangely, the easy part was getting the adapter to the throwout.... it interchanges with pretty much any manual transmission circa the 90s
wp5on68h.jpg
PSG8F8lh.jpg
as part of 'clearing the shop out' I figured I might as well put the right top on it and the 'other' top outside
rfkTNCTh.jpg
have I mentioned how much I love the crane?
ZgDq7kmh.jpg

tonight's fun and games - install the EGT sensor
EpKHnpEh.jpg
weld the oil return to the blank where the mechanical fuel pump installs
qdFeyseh.jpg
and build a CAD template for the oil feed - explanation - the oil feed for the 6.5 TD (van edition, aka h1 hummer edition) is in front of the oil drive. Can't use the drain, for obvious reasons) but might as well use the feed for the new turbo since it avoids the perilous route that the stock system uses on trucks.
qdFeyseh.jpg

while Paul was working on his motor or on polishing my C3 - I spent a few minutes on the Blazer
cardboard becomes steel
Y8iByReh.jpg
then welded
izFPA0eh.jpg
carefully weld with just a touch proud so it compresses the rubber seal in the block
ahULCSAh.jpg
view of how it runs
MxnbABch.jpg

truth be told, I'm probably not going to do much painting.... why? my plan is wear the axles to knubs and make this my go-to-go-anywhere rig. The bare metal, yeah, a bit but nothing like the '40. If it needs to be show-worthy, it'll get pulled apart again and just painted.... body gets paint because I hate driving cars that look like crap... but it will be pretty understated - and likely a refresh of what it already looks like.

motor is pretty much ready to drop in - just need to get some fuel hose and finish the oil drain
LKACpDbh.jpg
rpLR6P7h.jpg

of course the problem is when? I might be able to sneak a couple hours tomorrow during the day - but the week gets really busy until Thursday.... then I need to finish the Corvette and get it into the trailer.