Bloverlanding in a Blazer

I thought I'd be continuing on with exhaust, however, the bits I need didn't arrive yesterday... not complaining, I have tons to do - but one of those changes from moving is going from that-day or next-day delivery to in-a-week-or-so delivery... so I let my ADD reign and
started working on fixing the core support
ED4d7Yjh.jpg
amazing it can take 2 hours to do this but I'm still setting up the shop - so to cut these two pieces, I had to: clear the shear, find an extension cord, get the dies in the brake, find an extension cord for that, set the brake, get the metal out, clear a table to put the metal on, fix my wife's dog kennel, go to the store to get my wife a jump box, finish the brakes on the motorhome, then complete these pieces..
7kmxVp0h.jpg
oQIbB7vh.jpg
I did 'waste' a bit of time staring at these trying to determine how I was going to mount an idler pulley under the alternator..
oepvB8Sh.jpg
and then ADD again with the front bumper
CQUI4ouh.jpg
so how does one 'level' the front bumper? by checking the angle of the door sills, of course. Of course, they're also a 1/3rd of a degree different from side to side...
G9kfgTph.jpg

anyway, now's that for a got-nothing-done?

not a lot to photograph - basically just tightening bolts... but I got new part
C00OzPGh.jpg
and bought hoses to connect the upper radiator hose
ChZUPSVh.jpg
brand new fluid... I was right, it was a placeholder
OcXtL6ph.jpg
and time to start routing the brake cables
mw5UkrHh.jpg
soon, remove these and remount them
1nxQhPDh.jpg

More parts arrived today... rear shocks
9fxPLwnh.jpg

also the dies for putting pipe beads
GZgvsujh.jpg

directions were non-existent but figured it out
eZefPvyh.jpg
and a bead
0iXouirh.jpg
then paint the cross over coolant tube
ocpZm5uh.jpg
figured I'd use the later NP205 (one is a 77, the other is a 78 - the 78 has 30 spline outputs
1lyA2BKh.jpg
the onto taking the NP205 apart so I can get the bearing bored
Fc8LJrOh.jpg
od979jLh.jpg
1uN8Hzwh.jpg
for reasons below, I didn't have the patience to knock this roll pin out
KDnZtQ9h.jpg
then an unintended visitor... quails are cute but utterly stupid. Of course, Luigi was in heaven
1SwfZxZh.jpg
fun fact, the quail will sit on the fan until it gets flinged off...
vOEyqmdh.jpg
and the other visitor - waiting for its tow to get fixed... again. lord I hate Jeeps
x3LjjoCh.jpg

nice work , so its the small diameter dies that are the trick, did you have a bigger die for the bottom in your collection that would have worked?

nice work , so its the small diameter dies that are the trick, did you have a bigger die for the bottom in your collection that would have worked?
no - the other problem is one of the dies needs to spin slower then the other - so, rather then both being driven, the large one is on ball bearings.... these aren't expensive... like $26 from Eastwood

OMG FIRE!!!!!! quick, get the explosives out of the shop
lkbn9sWh.jpg

in other news, welded the brackets for the shocks on the rear axle and the tabs for the brake lines
SxcBijTh.jpg
AvIRHhJh.jpg
and mounted the T for the brakes
NkBA2I8h.jpg

the other news was I spent quality time cleaning and rearranging....

I haven't hit it yet, but it was just a matter of time - the problem - you can't reach the bolt heads on the frame without removing the tank or the bumper. You can't remove the bumper without removing the hitch... and the tank is mostly full... so I used fire*
tB0wLjoh.jpg
sadly the fire system I don't have nor the safe space for flammables was used in this wonton demonstration of irritating fire officials
pC9CJJwh.jpg
I also think several lithium batteries were in their chargers too....

also painted the transfer case... that was out too when I torched off the hitch....
ejMJbGzh.jpg

I know this is silly, but I'm going give one last shot at getting the hitch out...the right thing to do would be to stuff a m80 inside then heat the outside with a torch....
iH4eCymh.jpg

also ran the lines for the rear brakes then hamfisted a fitting so now waiting for parts
20dITOXh.jpg
looks good, though
22Aa2Cuh.jpg

*note, on another forum someone told me I was very unsafe because I didn't have a fire shed (for flammables) and a sprinkler system in my all steel shop.... then proclaimed he got a fire badge out of a cracker jack box.... (okay, the last 6 words were ad-lib)..... as such, and since I'm a complete respector of authority and their stupid rules.... I mock. I know, seems so unlike me... lol

time to get a bit of paint on the bare metal
wlCTKNoh.jpg
TLLHx1gh.jpg
cHXqDb5h.jpg
and finish the brake lines... but to fix means taking more apart...
sRRo6kfh.jpg
remove the lines, rebend the lines, move the connection to behind the spring, drill a new hole and connect
Ebq6V7Ch.jpg
H5tadDZh.jpg
and done
xWarKAUh.jpg
mHslJCEh.jpg
of course, had to hamfist and now I'm waiting for a new adapter (leaks)
OMzna8uh.jpg
front axle had a 1310 u-joint, now 1350
7Cw0PSWh.jpg
mDZ5NEvh.jpg
the old one, good thing I changed because it had a worn spot (would have leaked)
Vongx4Vh.jpg
and done
9voopvgh.jpg
went with flange type u-joint plates - gives me a longer driveshaft
S2pGW3ph.jpg
then bled the clutch
dOkJyTeh.jpg
only way to bleed
Ua7KYcph.jpg
good spot for this
eeKOxVHh.jpg

Last edited:
i have found i use the ez bleed mostly as an air pressure vessel, it makes such a mess with fluid in it and its a pain to clean, do you ever put fluid in it?

what's wrong with this picture? everything.... first the bracket attached to the caliper is attached to the wrong caliper, second the caliper is on the wrong side, and finally, the bracket on the axle is in the wrong spot... pictures
PeoeJleh.jpg
BECyEMfh.jpg
3q5vKZ1h.jpg
now correct
7RusVZOh.jpg
Yxpuu4sh.jpg
had to extend a cable
HsmYqAJh.jpg

and I got the last parts to adapt the nv4500 to the np 205... this is as bulletproof as it gets... nice pieces
adapter that allows you to 'clock' the transfer case (if you wish)
wYjjQLmh.jpg
this is pretty cool, it replaces an aluminum part that's actually leaking on mine...
Lr84FOXh.jpg
Advance adapters ain't cheap, but it's solid quality. 4x4lugnuts (the JO who put the calipers together.... not so much)... here, let me put him out of business. The cable set is a wilwood part, the calipers are simply 1977-79 Seville and El Dorado rear calipers. Save yourself money.... don't use him. I suppose I wouldn't be as annoyed if his advertising is "well, you can save money or save time with my parts"... how does he figure? can't tell his right from left.... screw him, the parts are available elsewhere for less money AND you'll get pictures that actually mean something.

so let's try to make today into some semblance of sense... when we last talked, I had built a nut removal tool that eventually worked.
what I didn't do was pull the balancer off because I didn't have the puller. $21.98 and 100 Chinese children will eat tonight
h7lZ6Aih.jpg
it worked too... but it took a lot of heat
kmYGHwyh.jpg
cHHGD3Kh.jpg
then it was time to give the output shaft a 5/8" shave
Kg3fj1eh.jpg
and success (blue tape to minimize crap getting into the trans)
EqevOCrh.jpg
then got dead stopped because someone removed the dowel alignment pins - and the fast way to destroy a transmission and transfer case is to ignore the alignment (for those cheaping out - that housing is from a Dodge version of the NV4500 - Advance adapters simply adapts that housing to the NP205). Careful shopping and you'll probably save $200 in parts buying piecing it together
pDJ1A0Zh.jpg

then into the bulk of my night... 205 rebuild
UZx9DMEh.jpg
some of the parts looked fine but since I already have new parts (good parts), I'll replace them like this bearing in the lower cover.
NrlxLfth.jpg
first was take the rest of the assemblies apart to check whether or not they needed replacement
this bit was fine
cocz9OSh.jpg

then pull the other t-case apart to see if it had any parts I needed to replace
zUdk8n7h.jpg
sure comes apart quickly when you know what you're doing
OAtsxihh.jpg
sadly, a lot of the parts were junk - however, some good was found
CxrwO2jh.jpg
the left one is the good one
VAP7dHZh.jpg
and the problem with the other is the teeth are worn where they engaged - which would have allowed the case to pop out of gear.
one of the parts I needed to replace was the rear output shaft.... and no joy, while the other t-case part was in good shape, it's the wrong spline - and this one really matters
Dtvya9Fh.jpg
but the shift fork was in great shape - thankfully, they interchange - so even if the high range fork is worn, you can use the low range fork (which is the same part number)
pZyIv5Rh.jpg
interestingly, these were in good shape in the t-case I just took apart
rUbjlv4h.jpg
they weren't in the one I'm building... too many jammed gears, I guess
this shaft - see the ridges on what is supposed to be a smooth surface? also the teeth where the ring engaged it was absolutely trashed
o9eQ9cPh.jpg

anyway, new, updated output shaft is on its way and a bunch of other minor parts... I certainly have plenty to do while waiting for them

Wow, this whole project is industrial strength.

I'm not thrilled there isn't a seal there - but ah well... onward
subassemblies (this time, the output shaft
sGzNrXch.jpg
install seals
4ZFmyjKh.jpg
needle bearings
sNFACChh.jpg
bearings and races on the idler
JWgldWwh.jpg
rear output assembly
O3mayvJh.jpg
I hate spring clamps, but am really glad I spent the $70 on a decent spring spreader
li3lP2Jh.jpg
front output assembly
dYufasNh.jpg
test fit... I'm going to have to build a cross member.... what I have is too wide
GMa4qbah.jpg

time to mark this doneish
262ogjKh.jpg
wO3SEmgh.jpg
getting close to install
qcc6el1h.jpg
sfqyBVfh.jpg
oh the joy of balancing a transfer case
cr29ZDCh.jpg
and test fitted... needs to come one more time, but close
6p3lGfbh.jpg
the problem is I need to take about 1/4" off the output shaft
GgtfvMlh.jpg

trim and glue
trim
ZBq2E4ph.jpg
glued
qNDaRQ2h.jpg
measure for driveshafts

given how fast Tom Woods is, I imagine this will have driveshafts in it Monday night

driveshafts are here
dI2hzYHh.jpg
and installed
P3zECIZh.jpg
SOJ34wrh.jpg
no bluetooth driveshaft here
LwWxIkoh.jpg
now for the fun. the 86 doesn't have a removeable trans cover... it will when I'm done
g6m0GY7h.jpg
so for unknown reasons, GM covered the floor with a plastic cover... which trapped moisture... yay, more rust
sl96aH8h.jpg
and the floor.... it has a story, and I'm sure it's good, but it's puzzling me... such as this crack
BQ9WzyBh.jpg
we've talked about this seat hole
VpJEdTah.jpg
and this random rust
Or7U0Hch.jpg
this rust we knew about
o1T3YG6h.jpg
however that hole? no clue
p8mHIA7h.jpg
it was covered by the plastic... it looks like someone got after it with a pick... but there's no hole in the plastic cover...
there will be many patches... but for now, remove cover so I can build the shifter for the t-case (yep, method to the madness)

grinding and welding is going to happen inside, so time to clear it out
rWneUNHh.jpg
eww
lGhSdHrh.jpg
I really wish I knew the story of this rig... it has some interesting other stuff, like the entire area behind the seats is covered in tar.... to the point it filled the seat anchors
5FCFTZgh.jpg
back the spark generation - so here's another puzzler... the center hump is welded down - that was a 2wd only thing... and the vin is right on the cowl...
VZf6PcBh.jpg
and even this has some interesting bumps in it
sPUqASTh.jpg
free tools
EyNtWGvh.jpg

and more rust... but not terrible.... some needs patching but as I said before, there is no rhythm or reason to it - for example, the fill cover... is utterly rusted out but the floor is fine... why there? there is no way for anything to pool at that point but the lower portion of the cover is gone....
anyway, more tomorrow.