SBG's C3

cold plugs tend to look like that when there's no blower or turbo in front of them.... :chinese:

anyway, on with clutch work
the problem, the throwout bearing isn't moving far enough to fully disengage the clutch.
solution
replace the master cylinder - and while I'm at it, fix a leak (ug)
see where the red hose goes into the master cylinder? it leaked there
PC060001.jpg

much better, and with a clamp
PC060002.jpg

I also found what's probably a problem - the booster rattles, and it doesn't work very well.... bet it came from me clearancing it for the clutch master cylinder? naw, err... probably, but it didn't work well before - granted, pounding on it made it work worse.... but still, trifles

I'm waiting for a 7" dual diaphram, should be here just after the next boat from China arrives

while I'm waiting
PC060003.jpg

PC060004.jpg

PC060005.jpg

PC060006.jpg

a bit of cardboard fab.... I figure I'll let the ideas gel until Sunday, then make it out of a more durable metal. The air filter is from an 09 Jetta.

valid question - Here's how I scientifically came up with the answer - I measured the one for my old 06 GTO, it has less square inches of filter area than the Jetta one.... also, if I'm wrong, I gave myself room to put a second filter in it.

and more durable metal
PC090002.jpg
you can see where I'm drawing cold air from
PC090003.jpg

the raw edge will have rubber to seal it to the hood

stopped here
PC090004.jpg

tomorrow, radii the corners, finish the edges and polish it.... then put the sticker on it

Booster arrived tonight
and it fits perfect - it's a universal fit, so that was a pleasant surprise
PC100001.jpg

compare to old one
PC100002.jpg

it clears without beating
PC100003.jpg

forgot to take one picture, I had to make a spacer so the rod engaged the brake piston
but it fits well :)
PC100004.jpg

and despite my crappy welds, the box looks fine
PC100005.jpg

Booster arrived tonight
and it fits perfect - it's a universal fit, so that was a pleasant surprise
PC100001.jpg

compare to old one
PC100002.jpg

it clears without beating
PC100003.jpg

forgot to take one picture, I had to make a spacer so the rod engaged the brake piston
but it fits well :)
PC100004.jpg

and despite my crappy welds, the box looks fine
PC100005.jpg

The 'Vette sticker tops it off nicely... nice job! Now for the smoke test.

SBG, Why in hell you have to be some 3500 miles away, damnit man....I want to drive your car, mainly due to the new brake booster, I need get with you on back channel or maybe another thread on that change out....

everyone rags my ass over my Hydro Boost changeout, which finally cured the problems on MY car's braking.....

and So I am curious about the total change in booster appearance you have there, that tells me the guts are somehow different, and I want to know how the brakes work, .....

:twitch::fishing::smash:

It's a 7" dual diaphram "hot rod" or "universal" booster. I paid 60 bucks incl. shipping for it off ebay. Of course, you could order a Corvette one, same box, much higher price.

and

I wish I was 3500 miles away so I could drive my Corvette.... I hate putting chains on the Corvette - so all it does is sit and look pretty in garage.

It's a 7" dual diaphram "hot rod" or "universal" booster. I paid 60 bucks incl. shipping for it off ebay. Of course, you could order a Corvette one, same box, much higher price.

and

I wish I was 3500 miles away so I could drive my Corvette.... I hate putting chains on the Corvette - so all it does is sit and look pretty in garage.

I sent you a email over this, as the conversation maybe boring to others.....

I want to know your driving/BRAKING performance impressions....particularly since the exterior is totally different appearing, the guts have to be different too, .......:thumbs::eek:

and

I sent you a email over this, as the conversation maybe boring to others.....

I want to know your driving/BRAKING performance impressions....particularly since the exterior is totally different appearing, the guts have to be different too, .......:thumbs::eek:

life, the weather and everything have prevented the full test drive with the FAST efi.... and I'm still waiting for that, but I'll update driving impressions with the dual diaphram MC...

Hmmmm... I may have found the idling/misfire problem
PC160001_zpsb1ef1d1e.jpg

fixed

PC160002_zps13e7cad4.jpg

I do need to replace several boots, and was planning on a rewire tonight... but somehow I managed to order straight boots rather than 90*.... ah well, blizzard tonight, probably not Corvette driving weather tomorrow.

while I'm stewing the answers above.... more progress on another couple issues.
1) the clutch is a man's clutch - seriously, a man who can push 400# to disengage the clutch.... the fix is a different master cylinder - for those counting, this is number 3. 1st was 7/8, 2nd 1", now 5/8"... as this thing is beginning to seem like it needs a zipper - I figured I'd help myself out (hard to hold the bolt inside the car while ratcheting on the firewall
PC250001_zpsfd5795ff.jpg
that was round 1, round 2 came with bolts both the same length

out with the new
PC250002_zps430eb30a.jpg

in with the new
PC160002_zps13e7cad4.jpg
which looks exactly like the old.... and 5/8" was the right choice..... thus, if you're going hydraulic, 5/8" to the GM pivot point is a good feel. Do not use the short master cylinder because it does not push enough fluid

2) carpet work
I finally ordered the last major pieces for the inside - so it's time to start buttoning this up
before
PC250003_zps8f23c68b.jpg
after
PC250006_zpsecbaf814.jpg

new differential
PC270001_zps7fd4212d.jpg
2.73 gears..... posi is in good shape, needs a left yoke; or simply a shim....we'll see which one I go with....

So I dinked with the car tonight, working on tuning it.... I've come to the conclusion I think I made a mistake by putting the 1.6 ratio rockers on it.... it won't idle under 1400 rpm, even with the rockers at 1/8 turn past zero lash..... ah well, I can fix this pretty easily

it's 20 degrees, and paint is coming out in spurts.... oh yeah, and I won't get more firewood until tomorrow night

anyway, so I painted a new part in front of the heater :)

P1020005_zpsc1aa2495.jpg
P1020006_zps1eb14524.jpg
P1020007_zps6696fb92.jpg