SBG's C3

PB070005.jpg

Is the shock mount installed that way or is it partialy removed from the bearing housing?

Should work out ok if you push the shock off the shock mount first ... I moved my brackets to the inside of the arm too, same problem ;)

I'm a lazy cuss, so I hate taking things more apart than I have to (of course mostly that means I have to work twice as hard and twice as long... but being lazy ain't easy)

hood scoop

Hood scoop
I finally decided on a C4(ish) hood scoop - adds about 1 1/2 " of cowl space without completely blocking the window... so - time to install
PB110001.jpg
Measure, the centerline is absolutely the most important thing you can find
When you have complex shapes, finding the center can be a challenge - sometimes you have to come up with a tool to measure...
PB110002.jpg
what seems to be the center, isn't
PB110003.jpg
center mark the hood
PB110004.jpg
(incidently, this will cure the a$$ and foot marks in the hood - woohoo)
using a calibrated eyeball, I penciled out where the first cuts would be
PB110005.jpg

as an aside, I used blue tape because this is a porous fiberglass scoop - if I marked it with anything, it'll suck into the scoop and bleed through when I paint it
and cut
PB110006.jpg
out come the zip screws, and down goes the scoop
PB110007.jpg
looks good, and most importantly it's centered and the horizon is the same on all points
PB110008.jpg
no going back now
PB110009.jpg
I briefly thought of plexiglass in the hole, but no, only hemis look good under glass
PB110010.jpg

so it's cut small, time to trim
PB110011.jpg

took a break and eyeballed what the cold air will look like
PB110012.jpg

looks the same as above, no? actually, no, the scoop is now screwed down where it belongs
PB110014.jpg
side view
PB110015.jpg
PB110016.jpg

I'm certainly no Dulcich, but I like how it's turning out.... of course, this was the easy part - making it solid is going to be a bit more difficult.... except I'm going to try something a bit new(er), and epoxy a lip to the hood, then epoxy the scoop to the hood. Once that sets up, I'll fill the gap with resin then bondo the top.....

Great work! That should work just fine!
Maybe apply a few strips of woven glass from the lip and into the underside of the hood to add a bit of strength? Should be fairly easy.

/Daniel

Great work! That should work just fine!
Maybe apply a few strips of woven glass from the lip and into the underside of the hood to add a bit of strength? Should be fairly easy.

/Daniel

Be advised, My hood is a patch on BB style scoop also, and over the years it developed a recurring blister on the left side, about 1/2 was the length of the scoop, took about 8 years to start blistering on the top, I found out after several attempts to fix it, that in fact it was WATER working it's way into the wedge area of the TOPSIDE, from the scoop opening in the rear, the damn water found a minor crack path and so between heat/humiditiy/engine heat, cold down to 17f it forced a way out the surface....

SO eventually I gave it up, and sadly painted the entire hood.....to have it happen yet again.....so this time I want ape shit on it, dug it out again, and this time, cleaned it all up on that wedge V between the pieces of glass on the inside top, but to do that had to remove the center section of the old OEM hood, so out came about 30 lbs of glass, it was very much lighter, anyway.....then I could tip it on it's side, blast out the dirt, using carb/brake cleaner and air jet, then loading up the entire perimeter with fiberglass/ epoxy liquid making damn sure it was full up to the top, THEN I reglassed the hood surface, been fine since.....

I recommend this fix after you get the thing glassed in and before you paint it, ditch the excess glass under the scoop, ALL of it

I set the hood on a couple saw horses, and in a nice breeze shot the glass dust down wind of me, never even got dusty.....using a edge grinder....

:clap:

I'm considering using epoxy and light gauge aluminum to make this stay down - heck, they put truck bedsides on with it - it should hold for this.

Denpo - yes, I need the clearance for the next mod something with a little boost :)

Good advice about keeping water away and grinding.... I hate grinding fiberglass. My worst was a fiberglass scoop on a Buick hood - couldn't keep the front point from cracking... argh!

bet it was a pain getting the fiberglass shards out of your yard :)

I was doing so good until that last lip, then the cutting began :devil:

I briefly thought of plexiglass in the hole, but no, only hemis look good under glass scoop ...

Or Ferrari's engines

To someone overseas, that statement may seem a bit obscure; sorry should have included two pictures to explain... I'm referring to a specific car, and a woman

HemiUnderGlass-300x194.jpg

505PMOTrophyGirl.jpg

Miss Linda Vaughn

I'll be hacking fiberglass for awhile (and yes, wore a mask)...

the problem
PB120001.jpg
after grinding.. and note, where the grinding goes to the outside is a crack that needs repair
PB120005.jpg
epoxy some pieces to hold the front level
PB120006.jpg
and a couple more down the sides
PB120007.jpg
now I know why the heater wasn't warming, there was a bad smell, and where the heater control line is.... and now I see the line that someone else was trying to find its terminus
PB120007.jpg

so an hour later, the epoxy (5 minute) still wasn't dry so desperate measures were employed
PB120007.jpg

also did a bit of work laying out the cold air intake
I'm relatively certain this stuff came from a Corvette top end I bought awhile ago
PB120007.jpg
and I think it'll work just fine on the early generation (with a bit of trimming)
PB120003.jpg
so remember the top-rail fix? I'll be cutting it competely out to do this
PB120004.jpg

looks good.... i think half the battle is the challenges of doing work, from equipment that breaks or unanticipated heat issues..

It's rare to have heat issues in Washington.... today I had my propane furnace on blast to heat the area enough to get the resin to dry...

yesterday, I glued the scoop down so I could fiberglass it into place
First, tape the seams and remove the screws.
PB150002.jpg
now I can flip it over without the screws holding the scoop in place
PB150003.jpg
pre-cut some fiberglass
PB150004.jpg
and goop it all down
PB150005.jpg

Buddy the dog is unconvinced about the whole scoop idea - he's more of a NCRS kind of dog
PB150006.jpg
made a template for the rear block
PB150007.jpg

More work
PB190003.jpg

PB190004.jpg

PB190005.jpg
Choices: I can still build a box to capture cold air from the base of the windshield; or leave it open to allow airflow; or block it if I don't like it
PB190006.jpg

That green goop you used there, IF that is the same shit that the guy used on my hood scoop 16 years ago, I can assure you it's near grenade proof, that shit won't quit......only precaution is to fill the inside V wedge completely with some sort of epoxy/glass thin runny compound to nothing gets in there and messes up the joint from the backside....

:bestwishes:

That green goop you used there, IF that is the same shit that the guy used on my hood scoop 16 years ago, I can assure you it's near grenade proof, that shit won't quit......only precaution is to fill the inside V wedge completely with some sort of epoxy/glass thin runny compound to nothing gets in there and messes up the joint from the backside....

:bestwishes:

then I got lucky. I taped on the top seam, flipped it over, then glassed from the backside - the resin filled to the tape...
next step
I'll knock the 'shine' off the fiber filler with 120 grit, then use glaze to get it close For the final, I'll simply use high-build.... it's going to be black for now, and I may, actually, have it carbon wrapped along with the t-tops