Plastic Fantastic 2

because the first step is always, take it further apart
FekAUxOh.jpg
time to pull the radiator (the hood wasn't a lot of fun by myself...)
j1ix9bNh.jpg
there will be re-engineering - this bar causes cooling issues because it blocks the normal outlet port
ebeG3IZh.jpg
red light, it works
21ss19fh.jpg
and the crank trigger/wheel is in place
S5syyCbh.jpg
looks like alignment is my next trick
Byyzl0Rh.jpg
that said, it wasn't that great to begin with
gSlL2ulh.jpg

Belt alignment or frontend?

View attachment 55905
belt... the steering alignment is fantastic .. that said, this could be better for a number of reasons that will be clear as I go on... that cross bar is in the wrong place; also need to tie the upper arms together... I'm also seriously considering going to an electric water pump. I don't have a lot of trouble with heat at WOT but waiting for the next round of the autox...

time to refit the Corvette radiator. well, the C3 Corvette radiator, the last was from a Z06 and it wasn't enough....
xXysD68h.jpg
ain't going to win any award for the engine compartment... eff em.
64gtVDxh.jpg
I've spent WAY too much time on this.... there isn't a great spot and this has issues with its closeness to the alternator... but if I have to shield it, oh well... see the comment about show portion of life
FTHVCWHh.jpg
that said, I have a lot of respect for a clean engine bay builder... but not enough to spend another year or two on this
SR41cHDh.jpg
first is build brackets
I3LYHs7h.jpg
then tack them to the top of the frame... need to finish weld and paint... but time to move on
gBHSJydh.jpg
and the regulator is installed
J6sTAB9h.jpg

they've got individual computers and cooling fins for them

the $400 plug
FAST doesn't include the other half of this plug with their kit.... fyi.
r8UP3xah.jpg

reality is it's about $90 ($10 for plug, $70 for "should work" crimper, plus tax and transport).... but still, a little frustrating if you don't know

they've got individual computers and cooling fins for them

the $400 plug
FAST doesn't include the other half of this plug with their kit.... fyi.
View attachment 55918

reality is it's about $90 ($10 for plug, $70 for "should work" crimper, plus tax and transport).... but still, a little frustrating if you don't know

I don't know how much I have invested in wire crimp tools. Some useful, some not.

more wiring pictures
the mess
LHGWWi5h.jpg
now looking better
H5nWNLRh.jpg
details
OYClc7Ih.jpg
UI5LfJ3h.jpg
sometimes the cheapest tool works best
bRVtoVWh.jpg
I still have a lot to hook up but it's getting there

more wiring... think I need yet another plug... this is getting ridiculous
instructions not clear, saved, though, by Youtube
JrmC623h.jpg
this plug is the one that you need to hook the coils up to... it's on the computer - not engine compartment. Makes sense, but the instructions do not
add to complexity that some things were labeled and these were labeled backwards
nYGCLbTh.jpg
the back of the plug, you need to remove most of these white plugs
9gaNfXCh.jpg
and then tap the black and yellow wires from both plugs to this wire...
4ppULHuh.jpg

My main problem with Holley is they have the weirdest software architecture for any product I haver ever used. 6 different ways to save a file without acknowlegement of saving to ECU or computer or both. Key cycling for some unknown reason used to set parameters, etc.

Maybe if they would explain what the objective of these things are, it would be a little more clear. Or, make it work like ALL software works.

Maybe I just have a learning disability but I have a hard time understanding instructions for something unless I understand what it does and why I am doing it.

had a similar conversation with the guy who turns the wrenches on Big Red Itoday)... but, being able to run 12:1 compression on a street BBC and only use 92 octane....
the other benefit is the smack down when I do get it running right against the LS powered rigs....

and for those who don't know, you know how Wayne's world when they say "we're not worthy" to Alice Cooper, that times a billion. Big Red IS the car that set me to dreaming what is now the PF2.

That is some kind of black magic there to get 12:1 on a street BBC. You hear about them, but you assume there must be some wizardry involved. Big Red has been the inspiration for MANY and rightfully so. Craftsmanship AND wizardry ;-)

That is some kind of black magic there to get 12:1 on a street BBC. You hear about them, but you assume there must be some wizardry involved. Big Red has been the inspiration for MANY and rightfully so. Craftsmanship AND wizardry ;-)
it's not magic on a short stroke. heck, GM was doing it with points. Static compression is just one measure of the motor, not just that but gear ratio, transmission type and weight also are influencers as to whether or not it can be done.

is the planned 555 going to be that much? I don't know yet, but there's a lot of math and working with wizards before I commit to any hard parts. I don't even know if it's possible with a stock block.... 555 was the suggestion from Big Red's mechanic - now comes the hardest part to see what it takes to do this. As an aside in that, HRM did a 540 build where they made 700 hp.... and they've also made 700 hp out of a 454 motorhome motor.... to me, I'd be solidly disappointed to build 100 more cubic inches for the same hp.... especially given the costly parts to make the 2nd happen

the funnest part of all of this is that it makes the TKX (trans) a very expensive fuse - so any build is going to look at the 10k cost for a new trans.... point being - this is something that takes years to save for and execute.... so this is just bench racing for now.

Last edited:
If you want to delay the 10k transmission, keep watching FB marketplace. I see a continuous stream of new/nearly new autogear m22 or m23 supercase transmissions. 2500-4000 depending on whether they have a long shifter. Supposedly good for 700hp.

gforce transmissions are up nearly 50%, which is kind of depressing.

edit: Autogears site is down, but their FB page is active. This has reviews from 2022, but a good price for clutchless.

Last edited:
If you want to delay the 10k transmission, keep watching FB marketplace. I see a continuous stream of new/nearly new autogear m22 or m23 supercase transmissions. 2500-4000 depending on whether they have a long shifter. Supposedly good for 700hp.

gforce transmissions are up nearly 50%, which is kind of depressing.

edit: Autogears site is down, but their FB page is active. This has reviews from 2022, but a good price for clutchless.
I know so little about them.... that said, my plate is full this year - so I can spend ample time researching them. I like to save money, but my experience on saving money is I never do. Most times it's painful the amount over what I'd have spent if I'd just started with manufacturer.... trying to get wise while getting old....

I hear you.

Well, I bought one of their m22's in 2004 and drove the car around Orlando for 10 years. Only 500hp, but 4:56 and 4:11 gears with wide tires with no issues. But, with their website shut down there may be business issues.

The place mfain bought his sequential sells gforce, and some of their prices shot up. Like every thing else I guess.

If this clutchess is still available I might be tempted.