Plastic Fantastic 2

I was late to the meet. Did you get any track time? Anybody nearby there have parts? Not familiar with the Optima - would they let you "rejoin - are are you dun?
think I answered... could I have bodged it together? yes, maybe... but the more I looked at it (and factored in the car was warm on the practice track lap the night before), it wasn't worth the risk. I could have got it back on - would have been hammer and zip screws.... if I was day 2 and needed one more lap to set a time? sure, but there's no guarantee the pipe would have stayed on - and if it came off... I won't do that (not being a hero - just not something I was willing to risk).

There's always next year, and heck, there's even still this year if I can swing a run to Daytona or Virginia International... and focus on the 'was competitive' .... I really was... and they're going to be at Thunderhill again (which I enjoyed) or Portland next year... maybe even hit Leguna Seca? I've ordered the new header kit, so maybe I can even run there.... If I do run Thunderhill, I'm going to rent a dumpster and go practice before the event (still a bit annoyed I got convinced to sell my CTS)..

also, as I told another friend, I'm not going to miss SEMA - maybe by 2024, I won't care as much about that... but for now, that is my premier event.

okay... this will be mostly boring because it's a lot of A/B testing on inserts
first, the damage
O0GWCcch.jpg
this was after beating, crushing it with a trailer jack.... but oval and twisted
Jf3j5IZh.jpg
and I'll say it again, if I could have gotten it on the car so it was safe... I'd have run it... I guess next time, in addition to electrical stuff, I'll take metal-working stuff?
also, new scratches - this came from transport
QahPZNJh.jpg
this came from the pipe coming off
bUeAHVWh.jpg
while I'm at it, I might as well fix paint issues - the front has a lot of chipping
A0172K9h.jpg
and of course
ArQndvwh.jpg
ages ago, I picked these up at Summit Racing's return bin when i was in Reno...
5p9vhBph.jpg
so before we go further, let's shut down the trolls - this is how far that sidepipe was slipped over the header. You can't make this solid, otherwise it will crack the pipes due to the motor moving....
pmyKu7th.jpg
also, as a side note, need to increase some tire pressures on the front... the X they put on to check the tread wear and date
X45dGxah.jpg
this broke... likely starting the events... but it never should have .... the weld was okay and I look for stuff like this failing... missed it, obviously,
ODF7yGWh.jpg

it really annoys that the camera doesn't save in order - but hopefully I get these right... I reserve the right to amend these
how loud was it? (all of this is at idle)
119 db at idle
hPDZWDTh.jpg
GjVqHbVh.jpg
straight pipe with no insert
DIb9fsFh.jpg
with cone insert 114
XgkPJ87h.jpg
those who've been watching for awhile know there was a PF1 - where I bought a variety of inserts... include the very quiet, very power robbing inserts. what you see behind it is what comes out of those (not the cone). The inserts are wrapped in fiberglass so they're very restrictive.... but cut them apart, and you have inserts that might work just fine.
tRIB28Uh.jpg
another view
V9CdvoUh.jpg
this is what got me to 104 - it may be too restrictive
S7uYxTmh.jpg
wxGJSPMh.jpg
This is just with the flow-through insert... problem is it may be too restrictive too
QnbXLTeh.jpg
the dual cone I tried awhile ago ... too much restriction as well at higher rpms....
mscYvCBh.jpg
next will be some testing... my neighbors are going to love me

there are a couple, final words. First... with this setup I can get to Leguna Seca level quiet - I did test a bit with the cone and right at the car - it remained at 104 (no news yet on what it does to performance). I can also have different inserts for different tracks.

Good review of what you found that works and what wasn't. Thanks. Will you put it on a Dyno - or just "Butt-Feel?"
eventually it hits a dyno... it really needs to be tuned - but for now, yep... SOP dyno. As promised before, I'm going to put the port injection on it and headers that make sense from a power perspective...

and pictures of the event
track time
B03v68eh.jpg
oVigmNUh.jpg
start of autocross
z0wFL1zh.jpg
h7Pi9kSh.jpg
Yziiwkqh.jpg
if you look closely, I'm missing the driver's side pipe
GzDsn2oh.jpg
how to go from 107 db to 130 db in one turn
y4Yy9TNh.jpg
I think picture explains it all... pipe hit, broke the tab off, then came off - but lord the lean, the new sway bars were supposed to be better....
V0PkMceh.jpg
end of run
OK6JZwPh.jpg
basically I got a couple runs around the track, and 4 runs on the autox... then on the trailer...

It may have hit on the off-road section to get to my camp... or it could have been vibrating loose and finally let go there... I dunno... for now, I have new mufflers so I could continue running for the season (which holds some sway for me)... I don't know.

When stuff like that happens, I always think sabotage. Any signs of a grinder?

On the side pipe muffler, if I ever get to it, I was thinking of making the muffler section diameter a bit bigger so sound dampening material could be added. Just a thought.

When stuff like that happens, I always think sabotage. Any signs of a grinder?

On the side pipe muffler, if I ever get to it, I was thinking of making the muffler section diameter a bit bigger so sound dampening material could be added. Just a thought.
no sign or chance of sabotage.... I was either driving it or parked right next to it in my RV.... that said, the tab was not as good as any of the other manufacturers of sidepipes....

Reactions: rtj
Ok, glad it wasn't, never nice to feel targeted.

One other suggestion on noise cancellation, look at mufflers with a Helmholtz resonator. There is room to hide one on the inside lower area. Should be lots of examples on YouTube.

Yeah agreed, BBShark.

Looks like you are living the dream now SBG.

what is the new design are you going to change? another bracket so it cant fall off?
I'm building new headers/sidepipes for it... but it will also have the pipes closer to the car and use both tabs.... even with a broken tab, it shouldn't have come off...

removed the last vestiges of Optima 2023.... put the wing back where it belongs
v86aUN1h.jpg
time to start considering what the front is going to look like - I don't think I'm getting enough air for cooling and adding more hp isn't going to help on that front (yes 511 ci is in sight)
time to make the second baffle...
GhXiy5Jh.jpg
I'm going to fasten this differently - not sure how, yet, but it's important to get this all together
MoVwKeQh.jpg
because I dug all this stuff out
u7YSew0h.jpg
e2OTXEah.jpg
Paul's C3 - its motor is about ready to come out and several bits from my C3 are going on his motor...
my plan is to get the hard parts on the motor - though I may get dead stopped because I'm not 100% sure I have an intake gasket

time to do this
GCYIsNlh.jpg
pictures to give a reference for putting all this stuff in Paul's car
KNwYPMwh.jpg
qEMTfl8h.jpg
M2Wyzeuh.jpg
I hope this fixes the oil pressure problem - it certainly looks like it might be too much lift... but there's another problem and that's they were just too tight in the bores. The Comp lifters are much smoother
1xtIQRfh.jpg
and I'm just going to pretend I didn't see the cam.... billet cam. It'll be fine. Or it won't. I'm not doing anything with it at the moment....
AjZNJp2h.jpg
wow, even room under the hood
GthQY6sh.jpg
P7Mi42Bh.jpg

one thing for certain, small intake runners
1yhKjqGh.jpg
Rpq25Mlh.jpg
but whatever, time for glue
hLrhxYDh.jpg
assemble intake
O3F4mqGh.jpg
do not like the path of the crossover...
XWgImSJh.jpg

time to order parts - I bought the wrong injector harness, can't find the coolant tube where the fill is in the hose.... nor do I have any idea where my intake coolant elbows are (but the few I have probably are wrong)... and I need a throttle cable... I have plenty to do while waiting

One bite at a time... cooling
as much as I don't like chrome, it fits
v2wbWhMh.jpg
then fix the coolant bypass.... for whatever reason, the FiTech coolant hole is about 1" closer to the water pump
S2R6qZzh.jpg
rant ON
I paid money for a throttle cable adapter for this manifold. It simply doesn't work.... hell, I'm not even sure the pieces bolt together.... I've been apologetic about FiTech but this is quite literally it. Never use them.
mEXV0Xyh.jpg
the bracket needs to be 5/8" wider to clear the throttle body.... now I either have to make or buy something else...
in an effort to calm down....I dropped the cam sensor in place - not the right place, but the place where the cat won't knock it off the bench...
ADSvyeQh.jpg

but that is progress.... but now I need another bracket, and the more I look at it, the more likely I'm going to re-engineer the cooling system. I'm tired of cooling problems...

Reactions: rtj
the more I look at it, the more likely I'm going to re-engineer the cooling system. I'm tired of cooling problems...
Fans? Ducting? Hood exits? Bigger? Higher pressure system - like NASCAR? Do tell.
I've been in the "Skunk-Works" working front uprights, so can't share that.

Cheers - Jim