Plastic Fantastic 2

Interesting stuff - so the Sniper falls on its face just off idle when taking off from the line. It's mostly annoying because it's a rolling start so by the time I get to the line everything is peachy. Apparently Sniper has trouble with radical cams - and the fix - is shut off the self-tuning. Drove it today, and it's not perfect but it's at least 70% better. I have a couple other things to do (like start the self-correction at 1800 rpm rather then 2000 rpm) and I need to add a bit more fuel ... and remove some fuel from tip in (along with go through the logging I did today)... but I can race it now

temps, on the other hand... it gets to about 205 and should be at 200 or even 195.... changed to a higher flow thermostat today, might put Earls in it. It's not overheating, but it's also not in control. What I did do, though, was open up a vent under the nose and that really helped with highway temps - there it stays at 184-188 (and it was 90 today when I was driving it)....

I'd add an oil cooler but it's idle pressure is still pretty low - when I change the lifters after Optima, I'll probably add an oil cooler... that should fix it all

Would an oil pressure accumulator (Accusump/Masterlube/etc) be a quick fix until you get to the oil cooler addition? Maintain pressure in turns, accel/decel. Maybe even set the idle pressure? Just thinkin'

Cheers - Jim

Would an oil pressure accumulator (Accusump/Masterlube/etc) be a quick fix until you get to the oil cooler addition? Maintain pressure in turns, accel/decel. Maybe even set the idle pressure? Just thinkin'

Cheers - Jim
where do I put it? I need to get the other lifters in the motor.... I may even pull the motor after the July event to resolve that issue (part of the 'fixes' would be to replace the pickup with something that allows more volume. My thought is it's the biggest issue at this moment after the lifter bleeds). At this point, it 'only' dips to 20 psi at hot idle, so I'm not worried - but it's also not right...

oh and my FJ40 went down last week with likely a cracked head....

Optima spoiler stands installed
CkN4l69h.jpg
this weekend go play in Spokane and see if I can get a final tune in on it... wish I could have found someone but whatever, it's not like it's hard
RZiprnkh.jpg

after Optima, pull the motor, reseal, check clearances, put the other lifters in, cc the heads, the put the port efi on it.... time to turn this all the way up.
and for the record, even if I get an invite.... I probably won't do it, I enjoy SEMA too much to miss it....

bobs77vet

VA beach - or??
oh I wish, wouldn't that be cool?

Portland Oregon - it's the closest one to me and kind of a 'home track'

Wilwood Corvette Challenge
SCCA ProSolo
Goodguys AutoX

what else is out there? or should I find a spec racing (e.g. Miata, 5th gen Corvette, or BMW) then dump the street/race stuff?

AutoX is fun, but I'm not a fan of needing a map to understand the course - also, I imagine that after the deaths this last weekend at the ProSolo event in Packwood, Washington, that there will be huge changes there (or maybe the end of it)....

I'll post on the discussion page about Packwood... there's a lot to unpack there

Autocross I have found AX to be "interesting." It is something for a "street-wise" minimum-prepared car. It can let you burn some rubber, feel some handling, meet some great folks and give a hand. But the time on track > seat time, is hardly worth the drive across town - for me. with the race car. The street car OK.

Track Days are more satisfying, more time on track, same type of camaraderie, and a step up to getting better. A great opportunity to do small "tweaks" to your technique and the car. Dedicated test days can be a "ball-buster" for s one/2 person operation.

Race Days. That is where the satisfaction is - again for me. Not looking for podiums, but the aggressive wheel-to-wheel action that is a bit less at track days. Hone some driving skills, techniques, and trim the car.

I really enjoyed the Sports Racer - a purpose built race car. I enjoyed being "outside" the Miata cowd. It was not "spec," so I could "engineer and tweak" to my heat's content. It was a great "mule."

The 'vette will be more of the same. I believe I have found my acronym; which is "DEBPTOR" NOT a person that owes money, but the one who Designs/Engineers/Builds/Tests/Organizes/Races the car. AX could have a day or two in the Test phase - or to "show off the work, but not a goal. A 5th Gen wouldn't be stock when I was finished - so I'd betterget back to work on the C3.

But, The Silver State, the Texas Long, the distance races are looking attractive too. I've asked a buddy about doing the 1 Lap together, another option, but one off events.

RE; Packwood, there have been unfortunate circumstances in the AX program. Also on track be Track Days or Racing. It is an inherently dangerous activity, and need to be approached as such. If your annual physical doesnt get you a an EKG - ask for one. Cholestrol, etc on the panels. Loose the weight - Remember 10# = 1 HP. Ax is "thankfully'" largely unregulated - as it is fairly well organized for obstructions and is a entry point for future racers. But in life - Shit Happen. Sad to see a losses there.

Cheers - Jim

In watching the video - it's remarkable that only the right track and only for a short time are the racers aimed in any direction where anyone but a tree could be hurt.... and even then the car would have to pull left after steering control was lost.... but despite all of that, society is no longer one which accepts accidents without a overzealous and over reactive law being enacted.

I was late to the meet. Did you get any track time? Anybody nearby there have parts? Not familiar with the Optima - would they let you "rejoin - are are you dun?

yeah, fun.... day one, event 2
hy2ziZQ.jpg

spent a couple hours trying to get it to go back on.... wouldn't go on in a way that I was willing to risk other people's lives... I think what happened was I had fuel problems and the car bucked - that decoupled the pipe and it sheared off the holder then went under the wheel... took a nice gouge out of the fender too.....

and yes, that's racing, I'm disappointed but before that all happened... I was running quite competitively (like leading for a moment competitively)...