nice to know 20' means 20'3"... smh
but then onto important things... fixing the paintball gun
fbaQfzKh.jpg
needs more powah

removed exhaust, started draining more difficult fluids
Xno2pMWh.jpg
chopped brake line
deRcNgvh.jpg

I'll never understand why people leave those stamped sheet metal covers on their 4x4..... even if they climb nothing taller then a Nordstrom's parking curb, the protection and strength can actually help them out... but no... don't get it

dIGkMMzh.jpg
BT8pKSPh.jpg

new pads (this is a van rear end)... allows me to reaim the rear at the t-case.
Gj8MHe6h.jpg

lots of parts arriving.
I want an emergency brake so I bought Cadillac calipers
JOmmiJkh.jpg
installed
RZPuD3Qh.jpg
gzsjlUih.jpg

most of the parts for the front is now here.... I have lots of spares from the '40 build so, thankfully, I won't be waiting for what I forgot
xa5ArGkh.jpg
mHJZOTYh.jpg
waiting on 6" softride rears.... bright side is I can pretty much disassemble the motor/trans and put the truck at a reasonable work height now... and that is next - engine out along with the front disassembly. while this doesn't have rust, the inner fenders are not in good shape - so I'll take advantage of having great access and change those now.
EKxNWhnh.jpg
I02EVkbh.jpg
did a strength test on the vent tube.... surprisingly, it doesn't have much strength
A6bGLWzh.jpg

and it's made it....yay?
ZWSiF9yh.jpg
TiRHvd7h.jpg
with a 4L80e, that I'm probably not going to use
h1C61p6h.jpg
good thing I bought insurance
cdkBddNh.jpg
a lot of the accessories, I'm not going to use, mostly because it's 24 volt but also having the turbo in the middle makes putting an intercooler on it difficult. Mind you, I have enough parts to build a motor plus accessories and stuff for 2 others. This isn't a big deal. One thing for certain, I am going to figure out how the PCM works and replaces it with a rasberryPi... I bandaided my 94 suburban motor (e.g. the rheostat to fool the sensor that it's not being overboosted)
in other news, 2wd steering box and arm are here
A2sKaZvh.jpg

the point of the gates was so the pooches could come entertain me....

Time to get it on a stand and evaluate - there was freight damage.... to bring y'all up to speed
c4AK0RTh.jpg
yep, got the pan
LpSuQMZh.jpg
trans is fine, though.... still not sure I'm going to use it... my heart - manual. Plus, 5 speeds is better then 4 when using a diesel.
my shop lab approves
Ghwmawwh.jpg
as does my loaner bloodhound. In case you're curious, she's 8 months old and nearly 100 lbs...
fd4wZPQh.jpg
I honestly don't know how they did this...
2OBbWISh.jpg
there's a witness mark on the a/c pump (top of the motor)... so maybe something heavy fell on it? I don't know

time to clean the front diff
8tt8IYFh.jpg
new gears, locker
T5Fguhwh.jpg
and clean the rear
lkO97Avh.jpg
testing the new U-bolts.... I think I bought too long ones, but won't know before I get the springs
9LcDxKch.jpg
test fit the cover.... both aren't perfect - so you need to be really careful running bolts in...
gduodjFh.jpg
why I use offset tie rod ends.... no clearance for steering if you don't
PhaGSQwh.jpg

most of these pictures are for future reference
h95p2MUh.jpg
Wr8h8FZh.jpg
eYwfaG2h.jpg
ZotsKbzh.jpg
x0GzS3dh.jpg
zaPZJvHh.jpg
aGaUrWph.jpg
bhHxb9rh.jpg
PzNk9Zsh.jpg

seriously considering a canvas sliding top
CiLspdah.jpg

i like the idea of canvas sliding top or even a boat style button down top. they may leak at speed though. I wonder if they still make after market sunroofs so you get the gasket and locking mechanism all at once

more stripping parts
qho5yh2h.jpg
and draining fluids... and yes, I drilled a hole in the pan...
TfZNzZBh.jpg
story time with SBG.... transmission coolers... add them. If it already has one, change the hoses the moment they get hard
hgwm975h.jpg
for those who don't know, I lost a transmission because an old line let loose
axles are cleaner
eIjLiW8h.jpg
0BPwA5lh.jpg
and shiny baubles arrived
xHnC7Mih.jpg
still trying to figure out why the serpentine belt is loose... more damage from the freight company? dunno, thankfully I paid for insurance this time. I think they stacked something on top - which might have moved the a/c pump? I honestly don't know
SRExGmqh.jpg

and knew about this
7u01IESh.jpg
and this
iER8s9gh.jpg
mental note, bring wasp killer next time... I didn't look too closely at this side because there were 2, large mud dauber nests
k2rBztJh.jpg
ah well, it could be far, far worse

ordered a different panhard bar mount... I looked at these - neat idea but way too complex for something I want to last 100k miles
how annoying, I'm going to have to look for the pictures on my travelling computer... sometimes things don't upload and other times the camera just simply doesn't take the picture... I probably took 20 pictures of the system because it's very complex but solves a problem that the SEMA trucks have... that is, they want variable height but be able to drive it whatever height...
this is the back of that system
vrNNV5W.jpg
basically they replace the shackle with a part that expands but still works as a shackle... quite complex and fun engineering.... but I also don't hate the SEMA trucks. wouldn't own one but admire the tech and problem solving (which is the same as low riders trying to make hydraulics work and still have a suspension).... not my cup of tea but impressive no matter the style.
Z9fr64p.jpg
this is what I'm copying
4DKnkZ7.jpg
except pumpkin is on the other side
YJJPhLj.jpg
5SQbN0m.jpg
hog out the holes for larger bolts
DEoz2jQ.jpg
install ubolts
G7yz9aP.jpg
test fit successful
OybFiyQ.jpg
next up for the rear is going to be traction bars, but first I want to finish the front.... in that vein, waiting for parts...
and work on the 4 post lift... 6 hour assembly - must be because there are no instructions.... smh.

does the track change if you raise the height or is just the body raising on a fixed chassis frame? i am not sure i said that very smoothly

Springs... think they're from a F350 van... whatever, they're a good first start because I already have them
MdUUszUh.jpg
got another top with sliding windows for it... cheap cheap
TS4hPJLh.jpg
pBgVbtzh.jpg
and got the bracket today for the panhard the shifts it forward... waiting for the steering box before I put this together, but that should be here tomorrow...
IVaSgRSh.jpg
for those counting, I already bought a steering box... it's the wrong one, not sure what it fits but not this.... goes on the inside of the frame rail...

i see it now the fixed chassis is raising off the rigid axles, i like it, i guess lots of custom brake hoses are going to me made. did you get one of those hose making kits?

As i think about this more I am almost 100% sure the next time I need high pressure hoses and I have to buy them, I am just going to buy the kit to make them. It seems my success rate at getting hoses that fit properly even though they say they are OEM specs is really poor.

As i think about this more I am almost 100% sure the next time I need high pressure hoses and I have to buy them, I am just going to buy the kit to make them. It seems my success rate at getting hoses that fit properly even though they say they are OEM specs is really poor.
trust but verify. I order by type and fitting....the biggest fail I have anymore is the line is too long...

thats exactly what i mean the hoses are never the right sizes and they are never inexpensive to begin with