What is the least expensive path to big brakes on C3?

Maybe I'm living in a dream world, but I don't think many new cars can out stop my 2800 lb C3 with it's 9 inch wheel width tires.
You definitely caught my attention with that.

The AIM lists the weight of a 68 convertible as 3050 pounds..for a SB, no AC, no PB. When I listed my estimated weight as 2800 pounds, I was too approximate. I think it's more like 2850 pounds.

The steel wheels are now aluminum, the cast iron calipers are now aluminum, the rear spring (41 pounds?) is now composite..8 pounds. The engine cylinder heads and intake manifold are aluminum. The rear spare tub..50 pounds ...is gone. The heavy exhaust manifolds and mufflers have been removed...headers
and factory sidepipes. A few months ago, I did go up a little on weight, I replaced the Muncie with a Tremac TK 600 5 speed. Probably went up 10 or 15 pounds there.

I have continued to explore this and it pretty much looks like I have no choice but to go with a Wilwood of Baer kit. The Z06 calipers will never clear my rims without huge spacers.

Found this today in the Ecklers catalog: it seems they do make adapter brackets to fit the Z06 brakes.... It's not cheap though

photo_zpsc8b0629b.jpg

Found this today in the Ecklers catalog: it seems they do make adapter brackets to fit the Z06 brakes.... It's not cheap though

Unfortunately, I have done some measuring and the z06 calipers won't clear my wheels without big spacers, which will push my wheels outside my flares. The Wilwood and Baer calipers clear just fine.

C5 Anti-Lock?

Didn't someone have a set up that would allow using C5 brakes
using the anti-lock?
The thought of having better brakes is tempting.
Anyone know about this?

R

"better brakes" .... What do you mean?? I can lock up the wheels with my stock/O-ring rebuilt calipers .... ABS ???

I just upgraded from 11" rotors to 13" rotors on my Mustang, the "feel" is better and I've done a few 80mph slam on the brake games .... Brakes are awesome but I was able to lock up the wheels with the GT setup as well ....

I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you can lockup the wheels the brakes are ok and not the weak link .... Look into sticky tires or ABS instead .....

I will be honest; my motivations are purely aesthetic. I have 19/20 rims very open faced and the 11.75" rotors look horrible.

Well, if you buy that Z06 kit give us the dimensions of the brackets, can probably have them made locally .... The calipers and rotors are maybe 1500 ....