What is the least expensive path to big brakes on C3?

bhays

After letting it sit for a few years I am getting back to work on my '82. I have been pleasantly surprised by the advancement on rack and pinion conversion, hydro boost conversion and electric headlight conversion from where things were a few years ago.

Has anything happened on the brake options? I see C6 conversion sets as complete kits, but are just the caliper brackets available from anyone so that we can source our own calipers and rotors?

I am not ever going to the track, but I am going to have to find a way to get some larger brakes in these new 19" front and 20" rear wheels. I can't stand the way it looks.

a9y5ume9.jpg
2y5aqa3y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wilwood offers 17 and 18 in wheel big brake kits.

if you can get complete c5 or c6 brakes from a junked car that may be your best option, these brakes are great, even stock.... the Z51 option brakes on my C6 look and perform great :D

now that said, this thread makes me wonder:why is there (or maybe there is?) a bracket that allows moving the existing calipper outwards to fit a larger diameter rotor? The stock calippers (or the Wilwood D8) could then be used with i.e. 13" rotors - would that larger diameter cause a problem with stock pads that are curved for a 11" rotor instead of 13" ? Even if that was a huge issue: a kit that has rotors, brackets and pads that match the larger rotor would be way cheaper than changing the calippers, which are, even bone stock and well maintained not all that bad......

Last edited:
I can understand trying to reduce weight of the stock brake system. Removing unsprung weight is a good payoff for riding improvement. However, the stock brake system was successfully used for racing and my experience driving these cars since 1970, is that their brake system is very effective. Both my 68 and 70 have been rear ended at least once, so I guess the brakes are pretty effective. What I've done is gotten rid of the cast iron calipers. I have Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) aluminum calipers. They are about 1/2 the weight of the cast iron calipers. I think 8 pounds versus 16 pounds. The standard SSBC calipers fit under 15 inch wheels, they do make a bigger pistoned caliper that requires 16 inch wheels. Wilwood calipers are apparently less expensive and have become very popular. I think Vette Brake Products sells a two piece rotor, aluminum "hat" or spindle and a cast iron rotor. It reduces weight a few pounds. ($$$) This rotor is stock diameter. I wouldn't have any problem with a stock diameter rotor. My experience is that the stock Corvette C3 brake system is more than adequate for street driving. I have a 68 with the SSBC calipers and it has tremendous stopping power. Getting rid of about 200 pounds of weight was a help. I have a Hydroboost/SSBC Calipers on the 70 but haven't driven it yet. When/if it hits the road, the 70 will be quite a bit lighter also.

now that said, this thread makes me wonder:why isn't there (or maybe there is?) a bracket that allows moving the existing caliper outwards to fit a larger diameter rotor?

That's exactly what I would like to find. I am not looking for anything a lot better performing than the stock setup, I just would like to fill up the wheels a bit more.

$10.40 each

!Bs9fcM!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKkMEvPWg7yDOBL5-9((eBQ~~_35.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Aluminum-Disc-Brake-Racing-Cover-Drum-Silver-/260600680681

you can even get them in different colors

I get wanting something to be better looking, but when it comes to brakes - IMO better looking will bite you hard when you most need them the most...

Potential pitfalls of the upgrade:
Larger disks won't get warm enough to work predictably;
will create more unsprung weight;
and won't stop you as well as what is on your car now.

Last edited:
more unsprung weight is correct but if you apply the same clamping force with the same size pad 1" further outward from the hub then it makes a difference....

now that said, I have the exact same situation on my Mustang: I can get 13" rotors and 2 piston calippers from a Cobra - this is a very common brake upgrade over the 1 piston calipper 11" rotors.... however: I can lock up the wheels with my current setup so why go for bigger brakes ????

I also agree with the OP that the small rotors look kinda funky behind the huge wheels.....

more unsprung weight is correct but if you apply the same clamping force with the same size pad 1" further outward from the hub then it makes a difference....

now that said, I have the exact same situation on my Mustang: I can get 13" rotors and 2 piston calippers from a Cobra - this is a very common brake upgrade over the 1 piston calipper 11" rotors.... however: I can lock up the wheels with my current setup so why go for bigger brakes ????

I also agree with the OP that the small rotors look kinda funky behind the huge wheels.....

Yet another reason I chose to do C4 sawblades then '89 C4 wheels now....

can't SEE the brakes....they mimic the OLD TYME wheels well enough, and are CHEEP and sufficient size to handle decent rubber without going NUTZ on tire prices.....

18+ tire sizes and you start talking 200+ EACH tire, sorry guys, I not into racing, and can't see that as being anything I can live with....

and as we all know, prices are going krazy these daze.....

:cussing::rain:

C6Z06 calipers & 14" rotors, pretty economical. They will bolt to any C5 brake adapter bracket. might have to trim down the axle flanges though

Yes, all the brakes on those cars interchange. The difference is merely in the rotors and the rotor size is matched by the abutment brackets on the floating calipers and by the mounting ears on the C6Z06.

Yes, all the brakes on those cars interchange. The difference is merely in the rotors and the rotor size is matched by the abutment brackets on the floating calipers and by the mounting ears on the C6Z06.

Do you know of a source for just the conversion brackets? Seems they are only available in some $4000 kit where they are marking up the oem parts an order of magnitude.

You must mean the speed direct kit with the super flimsy brackets and it uses 13" rotors, not 14" like it should.

I don't know of any brackets. I have a spare set of these calipers, I may grab a spindle and see if I can figure out a bracket.

4000 is insane,

4000 is insane

Looks like you can get the 4 rotors and calipers and pads on Ebay for $1500 .... Powdercoated c6 z06 brakes.... Not too shabby .... But no adapter brackets

Yeah, that's the problem. Everyone wants $3000 for $30 of plate. It just seems that since we have managed to engineer rack and pinion brackets, Ford Probe headlight motor brackets, etc. we could come up with a cad file someone could use to get brackets cut. Or we could each get them cut locally.

I agree, the prices are outta site on most of this shit, but figger selling what?? 2 sets/month?? if that..??

this custom car hobby is just flat done on a one on one basis, and if not for the .net we would not be exchanging concepts/ideas like this.....

but when it comes down to fabbing....we on our own....really.....

:hunter::zzz: