SBG's C3

So more refinement
I have a couple friends who work with Corvettes daily and neither noticed this until I asked about it
P9160004.jpg
See the nice bow? That allows air to go over the radiator - so today was fix it day
with some heat, paint and foam strip, now the air goes under the arch, not over
P9160010.jpg

and yes, I'll be making a metal piece to fill that - but I'm out of sheet aluminum so that will have to wait to another day

Then installed a MSD ignition
P9160005.jpg
P9160008.jpg
and it even started the first time :)

I love Google. I thought my tach was reading too high, so to google I went; and voila, tach filter. Until 5 minutes ago, I never realized they existed - now I can't live without one. If anyone is curious why getting old sucks, not only do you have to remember more stuff that you can't live without; but your memory can't store it :bomb:

replaced the poly bushings with heim joints on the rear

P9230007_zps0ddb26ed.jpg

still need to figure out how I'm going to do the front

that poly joint has maybe 60 miles on it
P9230008_zps1fe67bdb.jpg

I love Google. I thought my tach was reading too high, so to google I went; and voila, tach filter. Until 5 minutes ago, I never realized they existed - now I can't live without one. If anyone is curious why getting old sucks, not only do you have to remember more stuff that you can't live without; but your memory can't store it :bomb:

I have a T shirt that says......'I do know it all, I just can't remember it all at once'.........:beer::gurney:

thanks, that top one will be copied.... should I make extras? :)

dang, spc - $148.... those are not cheap

Last edited:
more work with the rear suspension

rear sway bar... what a PITA
the problem(s) the bar was bound up, and actually jacking the right side.... not good. Add to that problem there was little if any rear suspension because the bar couldn't go up. I took the bar off, and it drove - kind of - better, but I kept feeling like I was going to lift a front tire on hard corners.... so tonight I worked on it. As you read, keep this in mind - I'm completely changing the rear suspension to a guldstrand suspension; so this is temporary.

round 1
it's hitting the support that holds the rear differential up (maybe a half inch above at ride height)
P9250001.jpg
round 2
move the heims to the other side
P9250002.jpg
round 3 and 4
flip the sway bar over and notch the offending member
P9250004.jpg
rounds 5-7
move the sway bar back, put a spacer between the sway bar, and heat the new contact point
P9250006.jpg
round 8
cut more
P9250007.jpg

now I have 2" of vertical compliance, and 4" of drop. the tab now hits the frame - but I can't shorten the heim because it would reduce the amount of travel. Anyway, I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it's doing - if it doesn't hit much, I'll probably leave it until I do the new suspension.

also, there might be fuel injection in its near future... to be continued

SBG, I tried a thick bar like that in the rear, and found it way overkill, make the '72 vert very skittish in the ass....went back to a thin stock bar.....which when I got it, had no end links....so being cheep I just heated and twisted the ends till they were flat to the ground and bought a set of sway bar links, and bolted it all up, works like a charm.....:surrender:

SBG, I tried a thick bar like that in the rear, and found it way overkill, make the '72 vert very skittish in the ass....went back to a thin stock bar.....which when I got it, had no end links....so being cheep I just heated and twisted the ends till they were flat to the ground and bought a set of sway bar links, and bolted it all up, works like a charm.....:surrender:

That could be next - I have a good friend that autocrossed a C3 20 years ago; so I'm starting with where he suggested (soft springs, large bar, etc).... so if it doesn't make sense today, that's why :)

I guess I'm going to have to put my Perry Mason hat on and cross-examine him a bit - because of the interference - and find out what he did....

and if all else fails - I saved my front bar from a recent trip to the scrap yard for that very reason :)

I cut the tabs off, welded pins to the bar, and drove it today. Wow, what a difference. I still may put in a stiffer rear spring; but for now, I'm going to drive the tires off it - man is this thing fun to drive.

I cut the tabs off, welded pins to the bar, and drove it today. Wow, what a difference. I still may put in a stiffer rear spring; but for now, I'm going to drive the tires off it - man is this thing fun to drive.

Watch that ass end man, they get vicious with thick bars in the rear, I gave up on my VBP bar for that reason....:devil::devil::friends:

Watch that ass end man, they get vicious with thick bars in the rear, I gave up on my VBP bar for that reason....:devil::devil::friends:

weeeeeee :D

so this last weekend I made the pilgrimage to Portland to go to a past favorite swap meet.... and picked up this thing for 12 pack of coca cola money
PA010001_zps833e14c9.jpg

and while I was down there.... I formed up this for the Corvette
PA020002_zps160a490d.jpg

good information - thanks

I was waffling between the 360 and the 420.... I asked Vansteel to change what they're sending me.... even though my car is going to be lighter, it's low enough that I need the increased weight to keep it off the bumpstops... and even so, I may put progressive bumpstops on the car (it's a 4x4 item that works well for people who want a soft spring rate when driving and increased rate when racing because the resistance to bottoming out increases when the spring moves faster

Last edited:
All I can say is that back in '95 when I got this '72 vert, I put on a VBP 360 rear plastic spring, with KYB shocks....

and with the grossly undulating bridges here in Florida, I finally took some advice, and put Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners, that was a HUGE improvement......wish I knew of them back earlier.... but instead of bouncing like a basketball for 3.5 miles, it feels like a normal road now....

something about the way they build bridges here, the cross supports and sagging beams, they even grind out the peaks and redo concrete, it's so bad....but I don't give much intelligence to road folks anyway.....:tomato:

So, I got the board to fix the tachometer - so here's a step by step installation instructions
1) Remove center console
PA080007_zps816d150f.jpg
2) Remove transmission
PA080006_zpsca5d0652.jpg
3) say "ah ha" as to why the starter was having trouble engaging
PA080004_zps9be221d6.jpg
PA080003_zpsd7c3498a.jpg
(note how there's paint on the tops of the teeth on one side, and there's no paint on the other side? stupid thing was out of round

4) adjust linkage for transmission
PA080002_zpsc7f27eb8.jpg

that's it for tonight

Tomorrow I'll put the transmission in, then pull the dash apart.

stupid willcox never put these steps in his video to replace the board... dunno what he was thinking!!!:search:

I like the way you work!! Go right at the problem! ;)

I really like the way the auto tranny turned into a 4 speed - MAGIC!!!!

Good luck with getting the tach repaired.:thumbs:

It gets worse

The tach board

PA090001_zpsdedff56e.jpg

and here is the nice blank space where a transmission will be
PA090002_zpsf8304529.jpg

I'm also changing the entire fuel system and gas tank to a FAST efi setup.
I took my car to a private autocross (parking lot with friends at 2am, private) and I kept having trouble with the carb spilling fuel out of the vent tubes on hard corners.... so I'll fix it with a planned upgrade.
so yes, my Corvette will be a knuckle dragging, side pipe wearing, power steering avoiding (pun intended), a/c losing, efi car.