SBG's C3

got hooker sidepipes today from CL - $200... now to find a coater that wants reasonable money to make them black

P8080001.jpg

and fiberglass fixits and sanding.... I'll just give highlights (lowlights? - I hate sanding)

a problem - bondo
P8070001.jpg
make that a bigger problem
P8070009.jpg
P8070012.jpg
P8080005.jpg

a missing bit
P8070006.jpg

fix
P8070011.jpg
fixed(ish)
P8080003.jpg

My cousin owns a body shop in S. California; he does lowrider cars but mostly insurance stuff. He rants about people putting women on the hood or roof of a car he's done work on - to the point he won't fix the car nor will he work on another car for that person.... here's a good example of why

P8100005.jpg

ass and feet with a hand dent .... I wonder if I should call the PO and ask her if that dent matches her..... ?

of course, her boyfriend (the one who took apart the car and started the "restoration") isn't any better
Now repeat after meet - proper body fitment does NOT include 1/2" of bondo

P8100002.jpg
P8100003.jpg
P8100004.jpg

it's especially clever how he centered the body panel between equally thick layers of bondo

next up 4 speed..... this turbo 350 is not a happy transmission (I expected this, however, was hoping not quite so soon as I have other things that need doing).

A couple videos.... the first without any mufflers the second with home-built baffles
excuse the sound level - for comparison's sake, I had to wear ear protection to be around the car (this coming from someone who did steel work)....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5UGYMShyU&feature=plcp[/ame]
now with baffles

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYTPPmK51Y&feature=plcp[/ame]

and here's the baffles
P8260005.jpg
installed
P8260006.jpg

so I do mess with the alignment, and being able to use my camber/castor gauge without taking the tire off is something of value to me, so I made these
P9060001.jpg

and it works like this
P9090003.jpg

and after a week of evenings - the car looks better (still plenty of flaws, but lots better) from color sanding and then cut n buff
P9090005.jpg

Corvette South - they messed up two orders; the last one guaranteed I'd do advertising for them.
So here it is:

Don't buy from them.

Ever.

(did I mentioned I've only ordered from them twice?)

wow, that's a 100% failure rate Corvettesouth....

great job on the center cap adapter plates, how did you make these ? Can you make four more? I am trying to adapt the spinners that I had on my stock rims to the American Racing rims that I have..... the spinners are cast crap that is chromed so welding won't work but your plates with a hole in the middle would be an option.....

wow, that's a 100% failure rate Corvettesouth....

great job on the center cap adapter plates, how did you make these ? Can you make four more? I am trying to adapt the spinners that I had on my stock rims to the American Racing rims that I have..... the spinners are cast crap that is chromed so welding won't work but your plates with a hole in the middle would be an option.....

how would you like them, steel, stainless or aluminum?

I paid to have a laser cutting shop make them for me - with the idea that others might like to buy them :)

so this is a new one on me.

oil leak
P9110009.jpg

huge mess on floor
P9110010.jpg

can you see the problem?
P9110011.jpg

how about now?
P9110012.jpg

what is odd, I did nothing with the oil filter/oil system. It was an occasional drip from the filter, then tonight while I was testing another carb on the motor, I see smoke and a huge puddle. God was watching out for me tonight for sure since I was planning on going to the track tomorrow....

in other news, took a picture of the car with the side pipes
P9100001.jpg

SBG, on your alignment trick there, years ago here in OP Florida, I had a huge problem getting any good alignment work done, car was always messed up, and so finally got good information off the .net to DIY alignments without any much tools, what I use is a 2' carpenters level with a couple screes in the side to catch the tire bead on the outside of the rim, right there on the flatside, and I have a table that converts that out of level by so much to degrees of tilt, depending on rim diameter.....toe is set by a length of monofil fishing line tied between two jack stands set right across the wheel centers..measure fore and aft to the line with my tape.....

when doing the initial years ago I took a 1.5" square steel bar and layed it out on the garage floor after marking tire positions, so to know how much to jack up the rear on each side so car sat square up and plumb for caster adjustments...

handles well, and tire wear is even is all I can say on the results....

:nuts:

those are good ideas. My next "plan" is to make a bar with a magnet in the middle then use a plumb bobs on the ends. Then simply run a couple tape measures under them. The issue I seem to run into with using the bottom of the tire is it has a bit of a bulge.