Plastic Fantastic 2

Fingers crossed - I'd better get busy if I wanna make 2024!
We'll know where I am by Christmas - I hope!
I'm still in the negative self-talking from last year.... I know the sound of a BBC through sidepipes will cure that... but right now, I want a Camry

onto new brackets
9thAFNCh.jpg
which doesn't yet solve the problem - but it's a step
1ndq0eLh.jpg
when I do my next BBC, I'm going to either embed the magnets in the balancer or run a reluctor wheel like they did on the 8.1 and 632 motors....

not ready to start, yet, but powered it up... and a solid nope
Nrjr2Udh.jpg
lights on, nobody home - connected my laptop to it, 'no communication'

On Sunday before things went to hell, I got the distributor plug installed and resolved a wiring issue so the tach will work
2XGuXBVh.jpg

the next day, this important part arrived
ZEmy35Kh.jpg
building a wheel for our Search and Rescue groups Stokes litter
USoyCu8h.jpg

of course it has not moved one inch from there

also ordered and received a solid state relay (actually 4 relays) to gain some longevity and reliability
irOeEVLh.jpg

nope, not touched it either. Today, was feeling a lot better so got stuff done that needed to be done... but updates coming soon

oh and important Holley update. Display is dead. They're sending me a new one, a caution - apparently their warranty is only 90 days (and I probably knew that) so I should have powered it up to verify it worked.

Downside is I now know why people keep wanting to borrow my Sniper handheld - the handhelds are on backorder

But the good news here is twofold. First Holley is sending me a new handheld for free, but second, I can do all I need to from my laptop so it won't really slow me down.

so I did get FiTech's 'update' .... tried it tonight. I feel like sending them gold stars.
problem one, it doesn't actually clear
ZTnXUsq.jpg
problem 2, it's not square to the throttle
YhahEAi.jpg
problem 3, pretty sure it won't work in an optimal situation (e.g. one without an automatic)
gOi0XrD.jpg

not their problem but I suspect it won't clear the hood.

there has to be a better way, and it'll be me who builds it. As for FiTech, they're still in business even with all the negative publicity - good for them, poor suckers.

a bit of wiring accomplished
how I wire... bare wire connectors covered by shrink tube
WaVaNBN.jpg
and wiring in a MSD solid state relay. runs 2 fans, water pump, and fuel pump
v7LSMPC.jpg

Wow. Sounds like Fitech has serious issues. Good luck.

well, it's been a couple days. will be a couple more before I get fully back to this - for my birthday I got a major health scare... woohoo me. As it's something I've dealt with since birth, I kind of know the routine.... I'll be fine by Christmas.... should be.
during this time, my new radiator did arrive and it doesn't fit (just like I expected
wfGHqS0h.jpg
my goal is to use a Z06 intake that goes over the radiator to pick up cold air.... so major remodel time
UYpgSOvh.jpg
and make a nice, short list (ha)
bvUVzx1h.jpg
core support is ugly anyway so this will be an improvement
BvboM8Wh.jpg
and it's out.
Pu4FlXih.jpg
tomorrow I should have the last of the parts to start mocking all of into place....

Sorry to hear about the health scare, but you're making good progress regardless. Get well soon!

thanks

Little nibbles... time to complete the removal of the cross brace
YeiyUHch.jpg
and gone
izV279Qh.jpg
I'll weld caps on the stubs.... but then onward to the new support
wEUWIi6h.jpg
and got more bits for the radiator....
qZ3xduYh.jpg
also got the throttle cable.... of course, some voiding will be required
YeiyUHch.jpg

Be well.

Just got a squawk in my email from DC, that might interest.
Grumppyvette responded to a 15 year old posting, but is still germaine.
It was relative to using Water Wetter in the cooling system and it lowered the running temps.
I'd expect that Optima requires something sinmilar for on track, but maybe not.
SCCA does, so that is all I've been using so have no comparisong with/without.
And I'll use it in the 'vette too.

YMMV.

Cheers - Jim

Be well.

Just got a squawk in my email from DC, that might interest.
Grumppyvette responded to a 15 year old posting, but is still germaine.
It was relative to using Water Wetter in the cooling system and it lowered the running temps.
I'd expect that Optima requires something sinmilar for on track, but maybe not.
SCCA does, so that is all I've been using so have no comparisong with/without.
And I'll use it in the 'vette too.

YMMV.

Cheers - Jim
I have some earl's coolant - not quite enough to fill - but that would be the optimal choice.... that said, in what I do, no one checks.

This year I'm not doing national stuff, I need to get reliability in my car and comfortable that it will work.

Last edited: