Plastic Fantastic 2

Putting this here
• GTV - any spoiler or wing configuration with a maximum of 8" tall from the highest point on the rear of the decklid or a maximum height of 6" above the lowest point of the rear window, whichever is less. The maximum width of the spoiler/wing must be no wider than the original panels of the car and must not extend more than 6" past the furthest point of the rear of the car. No wing may exceed 12" in chord length (front to back) at any point.

a good friend of mine is an SCCA national champion, based on my conversations with him the politics in racing make junior high girls look friendly. i dont know how you get by the favoritism aspects

time to get back to this

getting there
6c4v4jnh.jpg

this may be dumb but I'm going to make the Optima spoiler adjustable.
DOlikseh.jpg
G0iOHnth.jpg
from the other side
9cker1ih.jpg

explanation... Optima has some requirements that make the 'standard' wing pointless... so I am building brackets that allow bolting a clear duckbill style spoiler onto the car in place of the other spoiler. With that said, the rules allow them to be adjustable, just not on the fly (no active aero)

I need to do a touch more tuning on the car, and take it to the detailer for a full buff, correct and ceramic coat.. thus the stickers came off.... what to do with them?
because racetruck?
VU71OJCh.jpg
can't imagine they'd complain about this stack location
9DLQoOwh.jpg
probably get in trouble, though, because that would be aero that is adjustable while driving.... maybe I'll have to ask those in power....

Makes perfect sense to make that deck lid spoiler adjustable. Might want a few sizes too.

Makes perfect sense to make that deck lid spoiler adjustable. Might want a few sizes too.
I think I'm limited to 6" from the top of the spoiler or the bottom of the window (whichever is the lowest point). With that said, it can be the duckbill style - which, to my simple mind, would work best by reducing effect that the flat rear window creates...

thoughts?

It looks like rear spoilers like the 48 Corvette reduce rear end lift by increasing pressure on the rear deck of the car. They will also reduce drag for lower heights, but as height increases they eventually will add drag according to some plots I found. It says it holds true for fastback and notchback.

I found some other info but haven't read it yet.

Last edited:
Fix the rear notch back. Or, try running with an open rear window. And long as you have to have the side windows open may as well get some ventilation. :)

Seriously, incorporating the spoiler mount into the already mounted wing base plates is a real good idea.
You'll get a very variable angle with that set up you've worked with you C-A-D "program."
I went with 15 degree increments on the Sports Racer. Seemed to work well. But it is someone else's bundle of fun now.

Cheers - Jim

Optima spoiler
so we saw it in CAD... now in alumineeeuum
6EHDrCgh.jpg
round 1, full, square sheet
zWMRy5kh.jpg
race mode
s9L08URh.jpg
autoX mode
qDPLvm5h.jpg
now bottom has first trim to more match the spoiler's curve
ztZaY4ph.jpg
using lasers to be sure of the height
pqapdwHh.jpg
final cut
CUKZ49eh.jpg
now in the correct height. It's an interesting rule to apply - no taller then 8" above the highest point on the deck or no more then 6" higher then the lowest point of the window... in this case, the window is the high point... so 6" it is...
cciMOXZh.jpg
final bit will be some kind of brace to keep it from flopping (and attaching, but need fasteners)

the most fun part of autox is making YOUR car handle. There is a huge body of knowledge out there to make cars handle - but all cars have an aero signature... the reason I used a radar arch instead of this style of aero is because that step to the back window creates huge turbulence, but putting the wing in clear air, I could get good flow. Problem to be address is that wing is illegal for Optima. Not dissing the rules at all but what you can go wild (duckbills, splitters, etc) really are hard to integrate into my car's body shape.

So we have where we're at today.... and I'm really questioning why bother... but we'll carry on - however, don't be terribly surprised if I simply bag it and and run without. You'd think that'd be a terrible disadvantage - I'm not convinced... if I wanted solid aero, I'd have built a 3rd gen Firebird.

so here we are.
9Y9S01th.jpg
taKa2vkh.jpg
in this position, I need to brace the foil otherwise it'll flop more then a politician
owob399h.jpg
even though adjustable - I might run it in a position like this or even one notch more flat - then pull the rear window out

4 weeks and I leave for California to race... March 2.

Reactions: rtj
So Paul spent a good share of the day buffing and cutting on the 'vette, not done, no pictures of that... but I did paint the brackets
QvH2Sw6h.jpg

alrighty.... spoiler is on, looking good, and speaking of looking good, Trio is 1 year old today.
OsUTzLgh.jpg
other side looks okay too
NyxIOQAh.jpg
and the Optima spoiler
jXnL7pRh.jpg
truth is I like the wing better..

looks like there's a lurker
u56j2M8h.jpg

Oh this week!. Got little done except a list of what I need to get done in 12 days.
S6nAb7o.jpg
and I've added to it since this picture... pray for me, it's going to be close

Reactions: rtj
so the list got longer.... the filter media is completely gone from the top... ordered a new top so the list is back but it's fun surprises like this... also had a couple leaks (now just one) to fix...
9tHC931h.jpg
this progressed quickly... brief explanation - the console cover moved because it wasn't fastened down in the front... not a huge deal except that I use the phone holder - and it moving was a problem
hnDSMTih.jpg
a new brace, a couple more screws in the side, a few threaded inserts and it's solid
hnDSMTih.jpg
back together
y6vbPNZh.jpg
aNFdiubh.jpg
list is shorter
asKGbSzh.jpg

Just a couple things left to wrap up. but first...
brake bolts needed tightening and fresh thread lock (blue)
TC5JoYMh.jpg
air ducts too
lRowGXPh.jpg
stupid horn relays... it's new, it's junk
lRowGXPh.jpg

tomorrow, hopefully, the air cleaner will come and I can do that along with verify the tune (make sure the TPS is right, that the IAC is working - remarkably, it has been, and fine tune the various a/f ratios along with timing).... then i goes into the trailer for a week.
despite the hate I received elsewhere for my not-stock car... I think it looks okay :)
WCZnTBJh.jpg

Last edited:
In other news, my Corvette is now an anchor.

why? for those not distracted by clear plastic? well, because we are supposed to have 45 mph winds today - and my weather gauge just clocked an 80 mph blast at 2:30pm (warning starts at 6 pm)... I've had to park my box trailer in a way that the wind doesn't catch it... but more extreme measure were called for as it's supposed to have a high-wind warning with get this 60 MPH winds... uh, Houston. What you see is not a space shuttle but rather my trailer containing my Corvette. Please track and advise... tyvm.

those are high winds. did everything make it through Ok, the flying debris usually breaks all sorts of stuff
broke the gate
HV3kmIU.jpg
the problem with flux core... you need a hotter machine to make it stick
ignore that I haven't put a cross brace on the gate yet... it's been cold and I have a case of the don'twannas
uWH0dMu.jpg

Question:

So, I've raced in the snow, but never the rain. Which tires do I use?
On the car are Continental ExtremeForce tires a 200tw
But I raced last year (as they were the only things I had) Toyo Proxes Sports. 340tw

which do I use? It's supposed to rain all day, both days