Plastic Fantastic 2

It's been tucked into my enclosed trailer for a bit now, but collecting parts for the new updates.
1) port efi
2) coil-per cylinder
3) backup motor
4) better sidepipes

okay.... so explain. I bought a Terminator X and have most of the parts to build the port efi/coil-per cylinder.... I've already sold the Sniper to the friend who I brought the BBC back from Reno.... and the sidepipes... he gets a great deal and I get not to deal with craigslist... win win

so that's the first 2

I've been fighting the oil pressure problem - specifically, at idle it has 20 psi - all with a high volume - high pressure oil pump. In talking to people at SEMA (2 cam manufacturers and several engine builders - the only thing I haven't 'checked' is lifters... bbc, I guess, can have variance in lifter-bore height. Add to that some lifter manufacturers make their oil passage wider then others and you can have a perfect storm.... of course, the right thing to do is just build another motor....which a 4 bolt bbc fell into my lap along with forged pistons.... having a spare isn't a bad idea, either, so I'll use a lot of the parts I already have and build another motor.

and sidepipes.
this has been on my radar from the beginning but now I finally have the space, place, time and
Summit had these sitting in their return pile.... cheap
yFCsCeqh.jpg

last will be making the paint better... though with that said, 'better' may come in the form of a wrap.

so I have a question.

How do you deal with favoritism in racing?
At Las Vegas, Mike Copeland was 'given' an invite to the Challenge. I like Mike, nice guy, runs a solid business and he's gotten his share of knocks from not-so-well-meaning people. This isn't about him at all.... my gut response is to find another challenge - Mike never sought to take his truck out (it did terrible then ran out of fuel) - but Holley gave him an entry (as a sponsor).

SCCA, I can keep my wing at a height that works, don't miss SEMA to support the event, and don't get slapped in the face.

Don't be terribly surprised if, next year, I run Optima twice, get in then tell them where to put that badge. Maybe they can get another show car to run in my place.

In other news, I want to run the Silver State challenge. I think that, along with autox, will be my 'events' If I do okay in the SCCA stuff I do, I could end up doing that as well (but highly doubtful, competition is solid).

I have avoided Optima because it is a little too "street car" oriented, and you are correct, it is very much centered around show cars with some performance capability. Some of the builds are very "big bucks". I recommend you look at NASA (National Auto Sport Association) for real track fun. They are active on the West Coast and go to a lot of great tracks. You can do Time Trial (TT) where you are on track with a lot off different class cars with open passing, so it is close to wheel-to-wheel racing without the bumping and shoving. At the same time you can participate in HPDE events, and in the advanced groups you are on track with everything from Porsche GT-3s to Miatas to late model Corvettes to BMWs with LS motors. I track my Viper and NASA-spec Ford Focus - quite a spread. I will also run the unlimited TT groups with my 56 Vette, if I ever get the dang thing finished. I also run with ProAutoSports. Although they are Arizona based, they do have events at some California and Colorado tracks. Their organization is very much like NASA, but a little more casual. Once you start hanging around with one of these organizations, you will find out about and be invited to track events sponsored by other entities like Speed Ventrures, Track Addicks, or the various manufacturer groups (Porsche, Audi, Corvette, etc.). Don't be discouraged by the Optima experience. You car is more hard-core engineering oriented, but they are more interested in the frilly, show-stopper features. I'm not a fan.

I have avoided Optima because it is a little too "street car" oriented, and you are correct, it is very much centered around show cars with some performance capability. Some of the builds are very "big bucks". I recommend you look at NASA (National Auto Sport Association) for real track fun. They are active on the West Coast and go to a lot of great tracks. You can do Time Trial (TT) where you are on track with a lot off different class cars with open passing, so it is close to wheel-to-wheel racing without the bumping and shoving. At the same time you can participate in HPDE events, and in the advanced groups you are on track with everything from Porsche GT-3s to Miatas to late model Corvettes to BMWs with LS motors. I track my Viper and NASA-spec Ford Focus - quite a spread. I will also run the unlimited TT groups with my 56 Vette, if I ever get the dang thing finished. I also run with ProAutoSports. Although they are Arizona based, they do have events at some California and Colorado tracks. Their organization is very much like NASA, but a little more casual. Once you start hanging around with one of these organizations, you will find out about and be invited to track events sponsored by other entities like Speed Ventrures, Track Addicks, or the various manufacturer groups (Porsche, Audi, Corvette, etc.). Don't be discouraged by the Optima experience. You car is more hard-core engineering oriented, but they are more interested in the frilly, show-stopper features. I'm not a fan.

and Maxxis tire gives discounts to NASA.... that was the other thing that bugs me about Optima. They have a 'tire sponsor' and a tire distributor as lead sponsors but neither of those give anything to the racers... no discounts, nothing. Granted the Optima discount is pretty cool (40%) But, Kuhmo, Tire Rack and even Auto Zone give nothing to the racers.

this is my observation too... they're all about promoting the aftermarket - which is the why behind the hydrogen truck out on the course. There are some serious cars there - but all of them are in the 'outlaw' class. What was fun is that the kit car class - Factory Five's people had no idea that they had a class in Optima.... all that money to get a class, for what?

and that's the other thing - if a company is using me for advertisement, they need to pay something to the racers for the rights.... sure, they fine print that away in Optima but it does influence my decisions on who I'll use when it comes time to buy something.... anyway, it's still their show it's only up to me to whether I'll play or not. That said, I still really mean that "win then no show at SEMA"...

Last edited:
I thought this was interesting...

basically it's a shock controller
Ae8eVeSh.jpg

what was even more interesting was the owner's comment that one should simply adapt the new Mustang coil overs to his system - says they work the best of all and people are 'upgrading' theirs off their cars so they can be bought for reasonable dollars off ebay.

don't know where to put this so I'll put it here... I spent a lot of time trying to find the dimension files for the C5 Corvette... not only are they here but they're in a software package that you can manipulate

don't know where to put this so I'll put it here... I spent a lot of time trying to find the dimension files for the C5 Corvette... not only are they here but they're in a software package that you can manipulate

I'll add my comments RE SCCA, et.al. later. If you are into CAD - Grabcad has a free version of the C5. It is in STL so can import to several platforms. The author says it takes 2 days to print at 200% of the CAD. Didn't mention the resolution of the final output.

c5 z06.jpg
I've been thinking about 3D Print, but too much to do to finish. Updates very soon.
If you haven't yet --VOTE!

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
I'll add my comments RE SCCA, et.al. later. If you are into CAD - Grabcad has a free version of the C5. It is in STL so can import to several platforms. The author says it takes 2 days to print at 200% of the CAD. Didn't mention the resolution of the final output. I've been thinking about 3D Print, but too much to do to finish. Updates very soon.
If you haven't yet --VOTE!

Cheers - Jim
this attracted me for 2 reasons, first, I could get really creative on a splitter for my C3. Also, my wife needs an upgrade to her K9 carrier - we're bouncing between FJ80s and Colorado trucks - in either case, we can design the updates in software before I spend hours crafting it from steel. .... I don't know the quality of this, but I found it very interesting given their catalog - but until I try it, caveat emptor fully applies

SCCA - Secret Car Club of America; if not specifically approved - it is verboten! I have found the racing fair and the classing has suited my personal needs. Mind, I have no need for "Podiums" or prizes. It must be the engineer in me that keeps me entertained tweaking/working the car. I did score a 2nd and 3rd place at a regional double-weekend, and that was in a professionally supported car, and I had nothing to do with the setup. Just jump-in and go. Not so easy when you are a Team of 2. And that is another thing I really enjoy, the opportunity to be an Old-Skool Privateer.

Both the SCCA and NASA have car classes that appeal to me. These are the classes that lie "outside" the normal structured classes. These are the ones where you can "run-what-you-brung" and often have Wings & Things openly permitted. SPO in SCCA and SU in NASA are the ones. These tend to open up the opportunity mix I am looking for. Time Trials will be on my program, and yes, the Silver State would be an interesting one, as would the race in Texas that is similar, as well as the Texas Mile.

I can't speak to the Optima - but did have a couple of enjoyable weekends at a car show with the SR. Fun crowd to spend time with and just good people. We were really pleased to see the youngsteers there with their folks. Maybe there is a little hope for more racers. Meanwhile, I'll get this car done and maybe see you out there!

Cheers - Jim

well, looks like we have the rules for 2023 Ultimate Street car (aka Optima Challenge)

my to-do list isn't terrible but part of me wonders if I should just run as is because it will take 3 months to do them.... the list
1) change intake for port EFI
2) put different roller lifters in*
3) install Terminator X
4) Build better headers

I should pull the motor and reseal the pan along with check clearances.

*discussion of #2. I talked to several engine builders, cam manufacturers and lifter manufacturers (including Iskederian - the maker of the lifters)... and the deal is that short of pulling the motor completely apart - there was manufacturing tolerance on the lifter bore height which can sometimes run afoul of the lifter manufacturers. From memory - so some correction may be needed - there are 2 "factory dimensions" for the lifter bore height. They are 30 thou difference. Thus on huge cams, you run the risk of the lifter oil passage coming out of the lifter bore. That could, at idle, lower your oil pressure. I'm not convinced that the volume that bleed could create would be enough to be a problem, but if you stack that issue with bleed-off that Isky Red racing lifters put in place and suddenly you do have an issue. I also think the oil pickup - let's just say I have questions.... On my FJ40, I had a similar oil pressure problem. Same basic deal, factory set 'height' ... wasn't enough. Moved it to 1/2" off the floor and never had oil pressure problems since.

and to be clear... 20 psi at idle hot.... it's enough but I think I want more and I want to run a thinner oil (30w now)

I am amazed at low the Ls1 engine oil pressure is, that little MG 1500cc has 60psi at idle, i think my C5 is like at 28 at hot idle and thats with 80k on it. I like oil flow over a higher PSI , but there probably is some minimum low oil pressure threshold

west coast early, east coast late.... outside of NOLA....

thinking Thunderhill and PIR.... no Utah this year.

Thunderhill March 3-5th
NOLA Motorsports Park March 10-12th
Laguna Seca May 5-7th
Portland International Raceway July 21-23rd
Road America July 28-30th
Daytona International Speedway August 5-6th
VIRginia International Raceway October 6-8th
OUSCI Las Vegas October 31st to November 4th

Registration for the 2023 season will open on December 26th at www.DriveOPTIMA.com

So, update. There has been so much progress that was planned and not started.... but there IS news. First, I'm doing Optima at Thunderhill and Portland this year. Also, there is a possibility that I'll be on MAVtv Dec. 30 at 8 pm. I dunno, they asked lots of questions - but I dunno if it made it.

As far as the car, I'm likely going to open trailer enclosed trailer it to Thunderhill (between Sacramento and Redding CA). Motorhome isn't ready and I'm not sure I want to do a mid-winter drive over several mountain ranges - all with tight time constraints....

In other news, I think they changed the rules on the spoiler... so I'm going to have to rethink all of this.... part of me is considering just leaving the wing at home - OR - doing a (can't remember the term) a spoiler extension... the benefit of that is where the wing is at Optima heights is dead center of my rearview mirror.... use some plexiglass and that solves two problems....

love to hear thoughts....

Amazon has lots of wide rear view "mirror" cameras.

A lot of auto-x corvettes are using a deck lid spoiler (48 hour ride tech, Brian Hobaugh, Danny Pop's C5). Probably better for low speed.

The C8 Z06 spoiler is much lower in the center.

Last edited:
Amazon has lots of wide rear view "mirror" cameras.

A lot of auto-x corvettes are using a deck lid spoiler (48 hour ride tech, Brian Hobaugh, Danny Pop's C5). Probably better for low speed.

The C8 Z06 spoiler is much lower in the center.
I like the idea of the low center - I guess I'll be experimenting...
what I don't want to do is drill new holes... so the bracket to hold it on should be interesting.

You could modify your cnc plasma cutter to be a hot wire cut out machine. Then cut out 5 airfoil sections from foam. Bevel the ends, glue up, and carbon fiber skin like that video in the aero thread. Forward sweep like the Z06/Z07 wing adds a lot of weird stresses/instability so would be best to avoid.

You could modify your cnc plasma cutter to be a hot wire cut out machine. Then cut out 5 airfoil sections from foam. Bevel the ends, glue up, and carbon fiber skin like that video in the aero thread. Forward sweep like the Z06/Z07 wing adds a lot of weird stresses/instability so would be best to avoid.

DO THAT! And then you will have created a niche market. You could be a "made to order" airfoil section manufacturer. Load up the section, cut the parts - ship them off. Nice. Print/Cut on demand. Minimal inventory. Should be easy to do some CFD of just the foil section. All the "sticky-stuff" is at the customer's.
Best thing (for me) I don't have to finish my hot-wire wing cutter!

BTW - I have seen some foam foil suppliers in the RC world that do just this, without the CFD. I've seen some that provide just section data and NACA plots. But it has been a while since I checked.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!🎆