Plastic Fantastic 2

Corvette is back out of the trailer from its duties of anchor...
who says you can't get good headlights?
09nGrht.jpg
now with brights
hMdSfDYh.jpg
air filter... there just isn't much room under the hood... as it is, this isn't perfect but it's good enough for now
d1Wa4jNh.jpg
vIrU9EZh.jpg
well, after a whole bunch of trial, this is what it will be
YdG8GLwh.jpg
x marks the spot
4gfG4KMh.jpg
remember geometry?
BFdgD8Ph.jpg
did I just void another warranty? yep, and there will be more
BkGzmWoh.jpg
0nGrDREh.jpg
this will work
0c0w518h.jpg
chopped down an offset base, flipped it over
2Lhlzyqh.jpg
there it is... offset, chopped, and barely touches
2DUjaexh.jpg
1BI0mKCh.jpg

alright... wheels are decided... better or worse...
nUEkxw4.jpg
also, like the reuse of the Corvette bumper? this thing has been bouncing around for a long time - now it's a wheel chock
loaded... still hate that spoiler...
zLTmizph.jpg
will need to dust when I arrive
hjk8qFwh.jpg
truck serviced
iIJlf3Hh.jpg

Well, the weather forecast for Willow CA shows rain on Saturday. I spent a fair penny on the 200tw Continentals and Apex wheels... and will likely use the old ones
7x0sx9sh.jpg

I know, I know, 340 tread wear is laughable but it's supposed to rain all day Saturday and most of Sunday. I'll use the Connies later and in July in Portland... now I just have to make it to Willow - and honestly, that's not likely going to be a problem - it's supposed to be nice tomorrow through Friday (yeah).

I'll pull the car out tomorrow and also figure how to keep water out of the intake...

Reactions: rtj
How do you keep the water out with cowl induction during a rainstorm?
The only issue is the vent in the top of the hood.... I'll cover it in the pits and worst case, I have gorilla tape and metal tape to block the offending vents (the rearmost); the rest shouldn't matter if water gets through. About the only thing I'm concerned about there is the defroster is pretty pathetic in this car... this will be an adventure. I'm not changing tires - it's supposed to be a trace of rain on Saturday and a 1/10th on Sunday.

stickies on
Yv9ijcbh.jpg
rain on
vHkKDith.jpg
reload
4CJk3xFh.jpg
I'd be faster in the dry with the 200tw tires, but these give me a better chance on staying on the track when it rains...only time will tell if it was a good move.

That looks like the "right length" trailer.
Just off-hand (as you have time) what is interior and overall length?
Looks like 7' wide base?
Safe travels - enjoy the race.

Cheers - Jim

so the track... did a warm up lap around it at 50% or so.... I'm going to put at least one extra quart in the car because the long, left hander saw some very bad oil pressures.....
sORYxuTh.jpg
someone forgot to mention that if this track isn't going up, it's going down... I'll try to gopro it tomorrow.... it makes Willow springs look like a gokart track
9l5yxtjh.jpg
it really is the Optima Corvette and friends Challenge
KRwgASth.jpg
6g7e32ch.jpg
oP3mEZXh.jpg
BBR look away
such as this Corvette powered ford truck
ZV1GQ5hh.jpg
29W6kB3h.jpg
they're neighbors from Montana
eFSVP8Ch.jpg
the doors, tailgate, fenders and hood are all carbon fiber.... pretty damn cool IMO
Zbq3HDqh.jpg
then there's this guy ;)
oQHv6QIh.jpg
and someone brought the hairdryers
rsO9Rf7h.jpg
really liking covered parking
HHnhX4ph.jpg
this would be a blast
16Qb3nsh.jpg

so this should be intesting

Reactions: rtj
Caught a couple of you afternoon runs on the long AX. It is tough being just ahead of Brian Hobaugh, the cameras are all focusing on him and not you on track.
Nice rake on the car, a bit more than the other c3. LOOK GOOD overall, smooth, no lock-up, slide, etc..
If you have the gear - or can get to it, a 1x1 stick of aluminum angle, drilled and riveted to the trailing edge of the spoiler would help keep it from the mid-span sag. As a gurney, it would not hurt, but you'd have to adjust it down to fit in the height restriction. Don't know if this series permits mid-competition "tweaks," or if you have access, or time overnight. [or, you'll even see this -in time].

Cheers - Jim

what do I need to know about dry sump systems? I have the space and I'm bone tired of low idle oil pressure... I also have a bit of an upgrade to do to the motor, so now would be an optimal time to get that system in place

I did a piece a while back (year maybe?). I don't know what - or how much an Accusump might help. Also a vacuum system. No doubt the top end of part would be a full dry sump. OK, it was a long while back! I gotta get going here... https://www.vettemod.com/threads/dry-sump-parts-recomendations-please.11739/
in for a penny? I'm not sure where to put any of this under the hood - but I figured the dry sump would give me more reliable pressures.... but I know very little about any of it.

Adventure pictures
PYJpItTh.jpg
I admit that this was hamming for the camera.... not that anyone else would ever do such juvenile things (though I wish he'd gotten the end where I punted a cone about 40 feet)
SnCSveCh.jpg
on the track
hulbBsRh.jpg
In the wet - had it totally stayed wet, I probably would have done pretty well
bvapGR7h.jpg
A7D2Z0xh.jpg
there are some pucker factor corners at Thunderhill... this isn't one
AxDJY7ph.jpg
this is
TNwqL3dh.jpg
up a steep hill, a blind left corner, then a blind right sweeper.... I went off this corner... pretty sure I was airborne
0tUpAHah.jpg
dry autox
ltWaSfAh.jpg

Curious - DId you participate in the "engineering competition?"
How did that go? Maybe point as added value to the Dry Sump?
Heard a lot of discussion about ABS. You don't have - correct?
Imagine that would be a $$$$ addition.

Cheers- Jim

Curious - DId you participate in the "engineering competition?"
How did that go? Maybe point as added value to the Dry Sump?
Heard a lot of discussion about ABS. You don't have - correct?
Imagine that would be a $$$$ addition.

Cheers- Jim
D&E - really badly. 31st out of 52.... lost to cars that didn't even compete. What I got from it this year is:
1) the 'judges' are all kids who don't race
2) that you need to buy a new car, then spend a lot on stuff to win. Top 3 were 2018 and newer
3) if you don't, you'll bad scores on everything (including the trunk.. yeah, there isn't a trunk).

what really bugs me is their hate of old cars... I'm pretty sure this is the end of my Optima (other then pre-paid Portland). Which is fine, I'm not giving up SEMA for Optima.