Plastic Fantastic 2

so to toss a couple of thoughts out there - probably dumb, but I need to ask so I know - what is the optimal temperature of the rear differential? if I run lines to the front (ala what GM did with the Camaro), should I also cool the transmission as well?

a bit of a difference between those and mine. Mine has a cooler inside the differential cover so it's a water system it doesn't move oil but rather heat exchanges. Now to ask again, if I tap in and out of the TKX transmission, can I use ATF as my heat transfer medium? figure I'd daisy chain - other thought is use the cooler in the radiator so that it would maintain a minimum temp as well....

I am going to cool the PS as well and that brings problem number whatever, where to put it.

If it already has a intercooler built in, why not start with that? Your cooling loop is then separate from the oil reservoir, which means you'll never dump all the oil when a line breaks.

As far as temperature, probably look at the temperature characteristics of the oil you use.

Looking forward to your solution.

Edit: if you used glycol, the pump would probably be a lot cheaper and filtration less of an issue.

Last edited:

"Gear Oil Operating Temperature

For the gear oil to do its work, it needs the right temperature. Normal gear oil temperature lies between 50- 55°C (90 – 100ºF) and most gearbox and transmission manufacturers state that the operating temperature of the transmission should not exceed 130°C (250ºF).

It is important to confirm the exact temperature with your oil's manufacturer and to stay within that given range. This maximizes the oil's viscosity and increases its lifespan, meaning that you can go for longer periods between changes.

The oil temperature range will vary depending on the type of oil used – whether mineral or synthetic as well as on the operating conditions. If you decide to use mineral oil-based gear oils on your buggy, you need to ensure that the oil doesn't exceed 75 – 80°C.

You may be wondering why it's important to stay within the recommended temperature range. Well, this is because constant exposure to high temperatures changes an oil's chemical structure. These changes can also be triggered when the gear oil comes into contact with metal catalysts like iron or copper or when it is mixed with air. All these cause the oil to age. The speed of the aging process depends on the oil's structure, how much heat it's subjected to, and for how long. Water, dust, rust, and other contaminants also contribute to oil aging."

I thought this was a good write up.

Tires... I can't do it. I keep trying to convince myself to either go square or go with the slicks as a rear tire - all to get a 200tw tire. I'm sorry, but 10% more contact patch should easily equal any 'better' traction I get from the smaller, narrower tire.
... the comparison
the left is what's on the car now
ghSNie4h.jpg
now a 325 v. 345..... while I know what I just said above there is a 200tw tire from continental, problem is the rear is a 345 not 325.
K9l0Etih.jpg
not bad until you realize that where it doesn't really fit would be nearly impossible to make a decent-looking flare
I4VqmNkh.jpg
I hate to say it but either I'm going with a right size tire and the wider front (which is where most of the problem lay) in a 340 or so tw.... but now that that's out there - talk me out of it....

in other news, rear, adjustable sway bar from UMI
tGClN5Eh.jpg
and new Hotchkis for the front...
F21h3MZh.jpg

and new gears... 3.91s (not 3.73 as previously reported).... I know, I know, I wasn't thrilled with them in the 06 GTO I had, but I think this is different because bigger tire, more hp and lighter car. At this point, 2000 rpm in 5th gear is 85 mph.... and I'm frying the clutch taking off from a standing start.... bonus is big smoke shows.

WTzF5Wwh.jpg
WBuGkXLh.jpg

and adding a cooler to the rear diff
8XSC4yXh.jpg

what is wrong with me? (rhetorical, sit down FGZ)... I won't spend the dollars to toss the lunchbox lockers out of my FJ40 but will spend it to upgrade to a geared limited slip in the C3?
GDcPYXfh.jpg

I like this internal cooler approach - any leaks in the cooling system are limited to the external cooling system - and the differential keeps its oil.

1661860052614.png
Nice idea. The other approach (mine) takes more differential fluid - and as mentioned - any damage/leak puts the diff at risk.
Good approach I'd say!

Cheers - Jim

I like this internal cooler approach - any leaks in the cooling system are limited to the external cooling system - and the differential keeps its oil.

View attachment 54093
Nice idea. The other approach (mine) takes more differential fluid - and as mentioned - any damage/leak puts the diff at risk.
Good approach I'd say!

Cheers - Jim
I got really lucky, I bought it from a GM Outlet for cheap - now they're unobtainium and highly sought after....

So I'm tired of relying on people to do ring and pinion swaps for me. Now is an optimal time to learn
WTzF5Wwh.jpg
mark the caps
Zr1rnVqh.jpg
get caps off
1HwCHgVh.jpg
spend rest of night looking for pry bars... moving is SO much fun....

*and in case any of you are silly enough to follow my instructions, this is, if I count all of the ones I've done in my life... is the first. I did try once before but I couldn't get the gears to give a good pattern. Turns out I did it right but the case was junk.... anyway, there's the warning

I see one on Amazon with free shipping for around $100, that looks way better than my cobbled together angle iron spreader. I'm tempted to buy it and modify for a 12 bolt. :)

it's out
YvC5yMFh.jpg
A screwdriver in the hole and a couple hits of the pinion flange with a dead blow and out it came
wow is that a lot of clutch debris.....

Time for plan C
1ejgq3ph.jpg
87k mile from a private seller. What a neat guy - 2 C2s, 1 C3, 1 C5, a 70 Chevelle (blown, of course), a Shelby Daytona (plastic), and on an on.... had a nice 4 hour drive (google, are you on crack? 6 hours?).... what was weird is it's like Google didn't want me to see the city center of Lewiston Idaho - it directed me everywhere but through the center of town.... other then that, it was a nice day for a drive...

and onward
step one, remove rack
YQPwLyHh.jpg
step two, install adapters
iqbNDQqh.jpg
step three, realize you're missing o-rings
eV54Oeth.jpg
step four through six.... look for o-rings, give up, order o-rings online..
step seven admire hole
o8SLUDgh.jpg
and least they look pretty there on the bench
fbw2CpUh.jpg