Plastic Fantastic 2

There have been more than a couple of engine bay and radiator placement/orientation studies. Here are a couple figures to see if these help:
This one focused on inlet blades and exhaust through a vertical radiator:
1642032439641.png
NOTE: Exits 4 and 5 had a belly pan - you have mentioned - yes?

This study examined the placement - including a top mounted horizontal radiator:
1642032828109.png
That was done by Walter Korpf. He also was the one that identified the relationship of intake to radiator size - but sorry , had/has no information on tube size:
1642032929405.png
But he acknowledged the advantage of a temperature controlled fan -
1642032972467.png

Also, you have some experience at special grill work - so this idea could work too:
1642033035202.png

Or perhaps, use 2 smaller radiators, and exit through the body work elsewhere:
1642033114813.png

So many options. No envy here. Best of luck. I don't think you are chasing a problem that doesn't need a solution. Just which path to take is always a challenge. Some of these ideas might be less expensive than a custom built radiator?

Cheers - Jim

I think the problem has been they cannot manufacture the fins on an angle. I've heard, now, that they can - thus not only would this help with aerodynamics but it also creates longer tubes and that is better cooling due to more exposed surface area - and that creates a lighter radiator because the radiator could be physically smaller yet still provide the same level of cooling..... but we will see. Forgot, a 4th, implied benefit... there is sufficient, vertical space of air inlet that we could block the catfish intakes (1/3 radiator size is required for air intake)

I've looked to find - but haven't yet, the orientation of the Avanti radiator. It had a catfish (bottom feeder) intake, and it is unclear where the waste heat (through the radiator) went. No gills, no over-hood exit, maybe just drag in the engine bay? The underside of the engine bay was wide open too. Cheers - Jim
1642092131627.png

most of the reason I took the dash out was to put speakers and clean up wiring... also, to install the remote door locks... first speakers
pmfQer1h.jpg
epoxy is great for stopping rattles
Y4kTpkch.jpg
and speaker installs
3zSPaEsh.jpg

I'd never put a stereo in this but it's what gets me points.... next up is reinstall, align the windows, install the remote locks, install reverse lights.... all for the points

I'll also probably have the wheels powder coated... they've grown on me....

it was a shuffle day, so it ended with wiring on the Corvette... however, well... some old friends got moved
as with all great things... I had to 'just' change a fuel filter... what an ordeal, seems the last owner didn't bother putting one seal in place - which made the fuel filter pointless.... grand
LtqedI3h.jpg
so plan b was employed
th3pclYh.jpg
moved to get this back in the shop
7wrXLE8h.jpg
I can't believe how rough this car is.... ugh
qeeF5iUh.jpg
installed in its new home
FZTlpzjh.jpg
the day finished with me getting this reinstalled
WbKiZ90h.jpg

window alignment and locks.... but tonight... all alignment so you get a couple pictures
zDeuKPWh.jpg
it took a lot of fitting and elonging holes to get everything to line up
PrX2IINh.jpg
not joking, this is where I started, was worried at Optima they'd call me on this... thank god the FiTech computer scrambled... sheesh
KICNMAih.jpg
KSUuwqKh.jpg
of course, what would a night in the shop be without needing parts - the regulator on the driver's side is new, the passenger side is not and it needs replaced.... ah well, I have plenty to do in the mean time.

Door locks. I've actually come out to people sitting in my car. They still live, but let's slow the idiots down
BeTS27Jh.jpg
weld a tab to the lock bar
fZDO0Pah.jpg
all fits under the panel
Wxk0JNAh.jpg
of course this door can't go together because I'm waiting on a regulator.

driver's side done more detail
pull wires
gXhPnHAh.jpg
actuator install
XBqppIHh.jpg
it was simply easier to weld a tab to the rod to connect it all up
y0wKhsIh.jpg
and just like that, connected
0ibITKgh.jpg
and reassembly of the dash
Es5Ro0Eh.jpg
once the right side regulator gets here, I'll assemble the right side.... between now and then, I have plenty to do... some of the aero should be here tomorrow....

you have to wonder why some one would think it was ok sit in your car,

once at rest stop on 95 we were sitting in our silver minivan with the doors open when some ones else grandma climbs in the car......we look at her , she is totally surprised we are in her car and at the same time hear "Mom. Mom thats not our car." she said "oops" and left we were laughing our asses off.

even with the top off, I hope that the doors being locked at least gives them a moment of pause to consider the consequences of their actions.... it's a bit of a paradox, though, I enjoy car shows but I don't really enjoy showing cars.

1642917586588.png
oh you clever racers.... this is why you never screw with that old guy at the track.... look closely at the targa top..... 'free' downforce and makes a liability into an asset..... clever, very clever.

SBG - WOW! THANKS!

The lower right image - as you show, is the exact embodiment of what I was trying to share on the other thread. Thanks for saving me trying to draw it out!
[Link to thread: https://www.vettemod.com/threads/internal-body-aerodynamics.11568/post-135948]

An airfoil attached to the flying buttress would be an easy means to smoothing the flow over the rear deck of a coupe. Plus the "subtle" shaping of the top aids the slot effect, and flow direction. Any downforce generated from this "roof" combination would be in a very welcome location too (over the rear wheels and not too far aft). I imagine running with the rear widow out is advantageous as the side windows must be open for many tracks. Would be fun to see flow/tuft video of that rear deck roof combination!

It is a bit difficult to see the air dam - but appears to be mounted to a "Pace Car" spoiler. Also the additional (if understated) canards suggest something happening in the rear too. Any note of a diffuser there?

Did you have a chance to speak to the owner/designer/builder?

As a side (or top) note, I'm seeing more tow hooks mounted as in the upper picture too.

Thanks for warming up my cold Florida day (29 degrees). Nothing like you guys up north, but unwelcome here.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
he's been trying to sell that car - 75k with all his spares - he's on one of the FB C3 pages (and maybe SCCA?) when I remember his name, I'll post up his contact info -

it was a balmy 36 degrees today here.... supposed to be 45 day 36 night for the next week... we call this our yearly spring-fake. It looks like spring is going to spring but winter will come back - usually in March (which I'm counting on because I plan on taking advantage of a race instruction day February 20th... usually it's fine, but sometimes most decidedly not. That said, I think I've got the appropriate cars for conditions and who knows, I might do a track day in my FJ40 (Pacific raceway - where I'm going - the track drops into a canyon to a hairpin then climbs back out.... it's a challenge moist, let alone wet or snowy

found the website

and believe it or not, there's another one out there that I haven't found... will post when I do

Last edited:
there we go - a way to message the owner

Interesting, it's listed in Tampa but an Illinois number

the air intake...

but in those photos, that front spoiler system is very interesting...

Last edited:
and... I think that's just an air intake for the rear brakes.... it looked like it went all across but the other pictures show it with tubes going down to the rear