-2.25 degrees camber is too much
wocd3hgh.jpg
-1.65 is a good 'next' point. with a cross camber of less then -0.01
dhwdPjTh.jpg
My first alignment was 1.0 and it understeered
I also set the toe to 1* front 2* rear and the rear camber is the -0.9
caster is whatever I can get - 5 degrees or maybe a touch more

I'll see how that does on Sunday on the season opener autoX

Nice trick from Mark Saveske; Once you figure out the number of shims you need for AX vs street. Tie the AX shims to the cross member - That way you can drive to the course, and do the setup there. No big deal if you are going to put on a trailer though.

Another thought, if you can and the space (and admin) allows, at the AX location - see if you can set up a Turning Circle. Take a big piece of chalk or spray paint (the marker kind) and a 100 foot tape. Could make everybody better knowing their understeer/oversteer. Better still, if you have some data analysis you can extrapolate g-load too. Or, if you want to keep it a secret, use the high school parking lot. Mind the coppers!

Cheers - Jim

what a day.... no racing, but got a track home.... everyone has wanted gold for their crap, then this unplated crap came up... 454, 94, 25'
zSQHO1dh.jpg
nQ5pTkwh.jpg

Perfect. Good score with the 454 @94 - few electrical bugs - until you add your own. And I bet it has "kennel" space onboard too.
We are "sleuthing" for a 20-ish (under) with 5k towing. Looks like it will be an MB Sprinter-based chassis - only first the boat sells.
Gotta move my gold-plated crap first!

Cheers - Jim

Perfect. Good score with the 454 @94 - few electrical bugs - until you add your own. And I bet it has "kennel" space onboard too.
We are "sleuthing" for a 20-ish (under) with 5k towing. Looks like it will be an MB Sprinter-based chassis - only first the boat sells.
Gotta move my gold-plated crap first!

Cheers - Jim
the hardest part was finding one with sufficient towing capacity. I guess most people don't tow race cars and trailers... who knew? :D

MB Sprinter 4x4 + Dualies + Twin Turbo? I'm dreamin'!
I truly think they're capable.... they're hugely popular in the overland community - and for good reason, they're tough, get good economy, and last forever.... but I've yet to see them popular in any situation where they tow - and don't read much in there, never seen doesn't mean not a great idea.... just never seen it.

oh good grief...

so I missed the last Autox to take advantage of an okay deal on an RV (for racing purposes). I get another notice from the Autox sponsors that another is coming up... the 19th.... I think "oof, that's about when our next chance of major snow" then "and on the 20th I go race the big track" Weather isn't certain but so far, I haven't been wrong in my long term forecasts....

I like that gold car you posted ( although not a fan of gold paint). I'd like to know his impression of the wing addition (before vs after). I checked the notes, maybe need to go back and look at the comments.

Time to make the die for the gas tank
3eWlGPSh.jpg
center the top punch (aka top die) on the bottom die
Pb0V7EMh.jpg
weld on both sides
lIiyylyh.jpg

build tank
jXZAOU3h.jpg

simple, no?

Reactions: rtj
I like it. are you going to TIG weld it up? does it get a fuel cell so there is no baffles? and do the ends have 90* flanges or will they be flat end caps?

you know the day is going to go bell up when you're using a razor blade to clean PVC off stainless. Basically it adds hours of refinishing because no matter how good you are, you'll scratch it..... and before someone pipes up 'ceramic - that scratches it too.... just doesn't last as long
ZFCB5ksh.jpg

time to assemble the internal stuff - Hydramat
Ymq8QUQh.jpg

I'm using a lot of parts I've had around... like the hydramat from the first fuel system
s0R3Q5yh.jpg

time to decide whether to lap or butt weld it...
pt7foorh.jpg
wFHcdeKh.jpg

tune in Sunday for the exciting answer

Tanks for the memories?
with my gear, precision rolls are not a likely result...
ZFCB5ksh.jpg
what stopped me tonight is I need more clamps.... seriously
4xHOB3Ih.jpg
drove it yesterday, this is too restrictive so went back to the old air filter
4VgIlu8h.jpg

onward
I think I ended up using every C-clamp I have
U8jtlVzh.jpg
I also made an adjustable right angle to hold it square. If you're doing this, don't lure yourself into just welding it then pipe clamping it square.
HHBT8hRh.jpg
weld a bit, let cool, dolly, repeat
e6VBpfhh.jpg
once the outside is welded, I run a hot bead down the inside with an aluminum bar against the outside - it sucks the weld 'flat' with the top... less grinding to make pretty
jGkcflvh.jpg

woohoo, I made a tube
vLmOu0ih.jpg
Vr93pYgh.jpg

crack check, then baffles, sump, fill neck and finally end caps

and yes, this is part of the defuser that is coming soon... and only published here

Reactions: rtj