Plastic Fantastic 2

I feel your pain regarding the attitude of some of the younger crowd. They buy performance and think they are the experts. I road race, but the crowd I run with isn't interested in my old, modified Vette - maybe they will change their mind when I eventually get it on track and do some serious spanking. I think that is the only way to get their attention. Even the more purist Corvette guys still give me a hard time for cutting up a classic. LOL A dry sump is a good idea, but fairly expensive. An accusump can be a crutch for the long sweepers where the oil pressure drops. A dry sump doesn't help low oil pressure at idle unless it is caused by low oil in the pan after running and braking hard. I looked for photos of the underside, front of your oil pan to see how much clearance you have behind the harmonic balancer. I have an unused Dan Olsen BBC road race plan that I had built and, at one time, planned on using. It is pretty high volume (wide with a kick-out) and has multiple trap doors. I would let you have it cheap if it will fit your car and is something you are interested in. I'll snap a photo so you can see if it might work. Dry sump systems include a pump, pan, reservoir tank, and lots of plumbing. It takes a little planning to find room for everything. You will need at least a four-stage pump (3 scavenge, 1 pressure) to be reasonably effective. One solution to the space problem, albeit expensive, is the Dailey "Signature" series pump/pan combination that tucks things in tight and eliminates pan to pump scavenge lines. That is what I finally chose. In any case, clearance around existing motor mounts, headers, and perhaps front steering components can be a pain.

Dailey Dry Sump.jpg

I feel your pain regarding the attitude of some of the younger crowd. They buy performance and think they are the experts. I road race, but the crowd I run with isn't interested in my old, modified Vette - maybe they will change their mind when I eventually get it on track and do some serious spanking. I think that is the only way to get their attention. Even the more purist Corvette guys still give me a hard time for cutting up a classic. LOL A dry sump is a good idea, but fairly expensive. An accusump can be a crutch for the long sweepers where the oil pressure drops. A dry sump doesn't help low oil pressure at idle unless it is caused by low oil in the pan after running and braking hard. I looked for photos of the underside, front of your oil pan to see how much clearance you have behind the harmonic balancer. I have an unused Dan Olsen BBC road race plan that I had built and, at one time, planned on using. It is pretty high volume (wide with a kick-out) and has multiple trap doors. I would let you have it cheap if it will fit your car and is something you are interested in. I'll snap a photo so you can see if it might work. Dry sump systems include a pump, pan, reservoir tank, and lots of plumbing. It takes a little planning to find room for everything. You will need at least a four-stage pump (3 scavenge, 1 pressure) to be reasonably effective. One solution to the space problem, albeit expensive, is the Dailey "Signature" series pump/pan combination that tucks things in tight and eliminates pan to pump scavenge lines. That is what I finally chose. In any case, clearance around existing motor mounts, headers, and perhaps front steering components can be a pain.

View attachment 55145
I'd be quite interested in the pan.

another 24 hours of reflection - and it's as you pointed out, lack of knowledge of the judges that's the biggest issue. Then again, the attorney in me says that it's either accidental or intentional. I can't imagine that the person who runs it doesn't know the lack of knowledge - I'll give this from last year - so I talked to one of the employees, who was also a judge last year. He got the job because his dad is friends with the promoter - and "he likes cars"
This year's judges included a "automotive author" an employee, and someone else I'd never heard of... maybe someday someone will really promote the notion that innovation should be rewarded. I think the hard part of that is the majority of the viewing audience isn't really interested in building anything so the promoter is going to be labeled a sell out and the promoter is going to say "but I have to sell to keep this going." Drag week was supposed to be the be-all-end-all of fastest street car.... the fastest cars in Drag week were not built by a manufacturer nor do they share any parts with cars you'd normally see on the street.... successful? sure, but now we have sick week - which started with the same premise but is just a few more dates for Drag week and is functionally the same.... SCCA extreme street, again, the unintended audience has latched onto it and it's the same as Optima but with better rear spoilers...

it arrived
y489Ypvh.jpg
and put the old wing back on
j9QNqfjh.jpg
did an oil change
Ba6sZ4gh.jpg
oil looked okay and the spark plugs showed a touch rich and that I might be able to add a degree of timing... but at this point, it's safe so since I'm changing the entire fuel and spark system next.... I'll leave it for now.
I'm pretty close to doing the port EFI swap. Need a few parts, order them tomorrow.

I've had similar experiences with my '69. Rarely do any fellow (but later model) Corvette owners bother to say Hi or visit while I'm hanging out prior to the first track session (It certainly ain't because my car gets lost in a sea of early Corvettes in the pits.). No proof, but I suspect my antique is being classified in their minds as a moving chicane. After the first session there's frequently a couple of those guys stopping over at my pit area asking questions about my car. With stock bodywork (and therefore tire size) I'm never going to be the fastest car out there, but with 400-700 pounds less vehicle weight (but comparable power to weight of most any of the cars there), I can do a bit more mirror filling than most of them are comfortable with.

I've had similar experiences with my '69. Rarely do any fellow (but later model) Corvette owners bother to say Hi or visit while I'm hanging out prior to the first track session (It certainly ain't because my car gets lost in a sea of early Corvettes in the pits.). No proof, but I suspect my antique is being classified in their minds as a moving chicane. After the first session there's frequently a couple of those guys stopping over at my pit area asking questions about my car. With stock bodywork (and therefore tire size) I'm never going to be the fastest car out there, but with 400-700 pounds less vehicle weight (but comparable power to weight of most any of the cars there), I can do a bit more mirror filling than most of them are comfortable with.
at this point, it's my talent that limits my car. As you point out, weigh less, more hp and I have tire sizes that are actually wider then theirs. There is a part of me that wouldn't mind someone else shoeing this car for me... I like building them, however, I don't think I'll be a better builder if I don't stay in the driver's seat for a bit longer.

As far as people, I met a lot of nice guys out there - honestly, in thinking about it, I didn't notice anyone who wasn't nice. Maybe I'm blind? maybe it's willful blindness? In Portland there was one - but even he got a comeuppance (won't give details because it'd be easy to figure out who it was) from someone he respected and that problem was marked 'solved' after that...

fancy things
SyBp5GLh.jpg
good grief do they wrap this well
X09I06fh.jpg
and the throttle body
UwKOEoCh.jpg
3fE00UMh.jpg
good to 850 hp - calculated I needed 58 lb injectors, these are 72 - or 20% more...
QbiiDX2h.jpg

More pictures today - some are repeats... sorry
Ax day 2
WOOTXTp.jpg
YZzcnMh.jpg
brake challenge, I think
WB8SyUG.jpg
rEfowSu.jpg

lqEHzdS.jpg

this launch, 7k rpm and the brake challenge/Ax space is in a bowl... the noise... glorious. I'm sure I heard angels singing too
L020vcC.jpg

or Ax... one thing - the rules say you cannot change your tires.... that was roundly ignored
yHNOGz3.jpg

this picture plus one other convinced me to move the rear sway bar rate up
COIGeZF.jpg

plus one
jOu5qfF.jpg

and two... and this is without my max grip tires
RxlBZAJ.jpg

more wet Ax
QhLrgmE.jpg
nyZ6bGi.jpg
56Czg5F.jpg
NiTnxBS.jpg
ECNxtix.jpg
iY4zEiZ.jpg

bEdlUHb.jpg
a6lNrMF.jpg

WM2ddPh.jpg

out on the track.... so numbers.... my practice lap was 2:41 in the wet, 1:47 dry... I needed about 2 more days of practice to get to the normal track time of 1:17 or so and better tires
eJ4ghB1.jpg

still glad i did it, it was a great experience
QEfdSEv.jpg
pucker factor for certain
jkun77Q.jpg

imagine, the photographer is horizontal to my car in this picture - the Buick cannot see me or the corner from his perspective...
xJJI3Dm.jpg
the camera isn't leaning... this corner really is that off camber
TDt1FuF.jpg

brake challenge again... I got 2 good times and said bag it...
YvJWbhw.jpg

get it
l05zAHE.jpg

Reactions: rtj
Fantastic action shots! I bet that off camber corner really throws your guts for a loop. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your MPFI system comes out too.

Fantastic action shots! I bet that off camber corner really throws your guts for a loop. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your MPFI system comes out too.
I kept pushing that corner - never did find the limit, thankfully that one doesn't have the 'jump off a cliff' issue as where I went off rather you'd just spin off into the infield... that track would be a blast as a home track... I feel like either PIR or Pacific Raceway are my home tracks - both are nowhere near as technical

I need to duplicate myself to get everything done...

Too many to pick from.
Large smart screen and rotate the images. You've got plenty of wall space.
Some very nice shots.
Car looks fantastic!

Cheers - Jim

Finally got around to going to my storage unit to get the Dan Olsen pan for photos. Take a look and see if it is something you can use. It is 7" deep and has baffles and trap doors under a windage tray to control oil under cornering and braking. If you are going to have any clearance issues, it would be at the front of the pan, depending on steering components. It also uses the small Tilton-style starter.

Olsen 1.jpgOlsen 6.jpgOlsen 2.jpgOlsen 3.jpgOlsen 4.jpg

Finally got around to going to my storage unit to get the Dan Olsen pan for photos. Take a look and see if it is something you can use. It is 7" deep and has baffles and trap doors under a windage tray to control oil under cornering and braking. If you are going to have any clearance issues, it would be at the front of the pan, depending on steering components. It also uses the small Tilton-style starter.

View attachment 55242View attachment 55243View attachment 55244View attachment 55245View attachment 55246
I'll measure tomorrow, but I have a lot of room under the pan because of the C5 cradle... and that.... leads into my question in the next post

so decision time.
not this, I needed to update seat belts so I bought the twist to unlock rather then the latch.... everyone, and I mean everyone - no matter their ability on the autox course could not easily figure out how to latch... fine, I'll dumb it down.
gL4A9SX.jpg
but that's not the decision.
I have 99% of the pieces for the port EFI/COP system. I have another Optima even in mid-July. I need to run a few autox events before but the first won't be before mid-May. Should I pull it apart and do the upgrade? it runs now. is basically ready to go.... but with all of that said, I already have another 4 bolt block that's ready to build that I plan on building this winter. Use the port system, maybe change the cam, put better heads (no more knockoffs)...

With the extra block, you open up the option of completing the new engine and controls build on the side while keeping the car 100% available for gaining more experience on the track with the car and getting everything dialed in like you want. Then later you can swap in the new engine and have a smaller list of variables to iron out. It is definitely an opportunity worth consideration. On the other hand, do you think you can get it all ready for May? I know it's still a little while off, but the way the parts supply chain is going these days, a small part can sideline everything while you are trying to get the electronics dialed in.