My '76 restoration (long post)

Glad you like it guys.
The piece that's going to support the rings it still in developpement, I'd like the three rings not to be on the same plane, but rather describe a inverted bubble shape, if you see what I means.
I will depends on what my machinist buddy is up to, I will see that with him this WE.
In the center I'm planning a honeycomb grid (I'm ordering it this evening).

Here's a render of what I'm after :
hollowtaillight4_zps7afc83d9.jpg

I got to check on the car how I can fix them. The simpler would be 3 or 4 threaded hole around the side, but I need to confirm I can reach there to put the screws. I can't count on the venting hole as there will be a mesh already.

That's pretty cool stuff, I am surprised how much attention you pay to all this detail stuff - exact opposite to what I usually do at this stage.... I'd focus on on paint and then get the car on the road and worry about all that little crap later.....oh wait, then you end with a car without wipers or brake-lights (like mine) ..... :lol:

Today, after working on my house for weeks, I finally did some car related stuff again: oil change .... Took all of 15 minutes .... Lol ....

Good work. Tail lights are neat, but not for me. I think I'm going to widen my rear flares using variation of you technique.

That's pretty cool stuff, I am surprised how much attention you pay to all this detail stuff - exact opposite to what I usually do at this stage.... I'd focus on on paint and then get the car on the road and worry about all that little crap later.....oh wait, then you end with a car without wipers or brake-lights (like mine) ..... :lol:
Well, as long as you got someone to run behind the car with a can of starter spray, I see nothing wrong with that :rofl:

Good work. Tail lights are neat, but not for me. I think I'm going to widen my rear flares using variation of you technique.
It's ok, to each his own. Feel free to poke me about the flaring technique for more details.

Dropped by my machinist this morning, showed him the stuff, he likes the idea.
Here's a render of the laster iteration, I'm still playing with the shape as machining won't happen before a couple of days.
The grill is the actual grill, at its actual size.

80-hollowtaillight5_zpsf2d1d25e_590ef8c3e86dea185b9699d48913471083782505.jpg

Considered making a few extras? Pricing improvements maybe - or looking to keep it really "one-off?"

Cheers Jim
I'd be honored to have my work featured on someone else's car.
Be warned, it won't be cheap, only in LED I'm already 200$ in.
In the end it will depend of how much of the work you want to do yourself and how much my machinist is asking for more copies (mine are free :D).

is anything reflective so when the lights are off it can be seen by approaching headlights. i hate to see a situation someone wouldn't see you in time.

is anything reflective so when the lights are off it can be seen by approaching headlights. i hate to see a situation someone wouldn't see you in time.
Good question.
I dare to think so, the led rings are, as pic don't show, fairly transparent and they gonna seat in a groove that will be mirror polished, cast in clear epoxy.

A certain number of square inches of reflectors are a legal requirement on back and sides and maybe front too.

(I sometimes think about mounting a 'slow vehicle' triangle reflector on the back of mine for fun.)

Since I had the 3D software up and running I took the time to pack together the existing mods (exhaust tips, flare and western wheels), with those coming (slanted window, hollow taillight) and those that are dreamed about (rear window louver).

hollowtaillight7_zps56e28762.jpg

This is what the back should look if I have all the time and resources I need this winter.
Note: current hood shape is irrelevant.

Maybe you should spend some design time on the center outlet hole. I get a feeling of a pipe stuck in to the middle of the light. Maybe design an outlet that looks more "machined" like some kind of radius or edge at the end of the outlet. It is probably beeing machined in a cnc machind so why not use the machines capability! You seem to have a great feeling for design so I'm sure you will get it right:thumbs:

Maybe you should spend some design time on the center outlet hole. I get a feeling of a pipe stuck in to the middle of the light. Maybe design an outlet that looks more "machined" like some kind of radius or edge at the end of the outlet. It is probably beeing machined in a cnc machind so why not use the machines capability! You seem to have a great feeling for design so I'm sure you will get it right:thumbs:

Well, that was the actual idea, like mini jet exhaust :blush: :gurney:.
To be frank when modeling the piece I didn't go down to the chamfers of each edge.
That's partly because the final process will be entirely hand-driven, no CNC, just an old machinist, his old lathe and whole bag of tricks.
But I hear you on that, in term of attention to details you're impossible to match, and I'm gonna do a couple of more 'finished' render for you to comment.
Thanks.

I'd take more Mondays like this one anytime!
Look what I brought from the border :

80-suspensionkit_zpsccd0b4e1_b9ec1e9350f2f2b0d33647a56b892a1a900196fc.jpg

VBnP double mount, front and back.
Plus a 2-way alarm system.
Can't wait to put those one....

You're going to like these springs !!!!!!

My advice: drive the car with steel springs first so you really can appreciate the difference these fiberglass springs make.....

I've always been a little worried about these breaking, using sidepipes and keeping the heat from the spring seems to give me the "warm and fuzzy" feeling..... :thumbs:

You're going to like these springs !!!!!!

My advice: drive the car with steel springs first so you really can appreciate the difference these fiberglass springs make.....

I've always been a little worried about these breaking, using sidepipes and keeping the heat from the spring seems to give me the "warm and fuzzy" feeling..... :thumbs:
Steel spring gone to the metal scraper long time ago, no turning back.
I was a little worried those being harsh, you car proved me wrong.

[

Did I already have the front dual mount spring installed when you drove it? I remember I got the alignment done memorial day Monday (no wait, most people drinking at te beach) .... Alignment made a huge difference, now it's really fun to drive :)

[

Did I already have the front dual mount spring installed when you drove it? I remember I got the alignment done memorial day Monday (no wait, most people drinking at te beach) .... Alignment made a huge difference, now it's really fun to drive :)
The front setup was still in the living room, but alignment was done, I remember the memorial day story.

But I still did see the difference, as I was initially only hoping to get a rear setup.
I never imagined I could ever get a deal on both.

Now the next question is, do I open another can of worm with the idea of raising the diff, because you know, whileImatitis.:twitch: