My '76 restoration (long post)

Yesterday I had time to solder the led driver I received, those are really tiny and I think I will put two of there between each taillight, reducing the central control unit size and complexity.

hipowerled0.jpg

One is a 650 mA to drive the two 5 led rows of red led, the other one is a 325 mA to drive the central single 5 led row. Both seems to fit each configuration mA bill.

UnfortunatelyI have to report setback on this sub-project.
First, I ordered the wrong drivers, those are using the quiet antiquated MC34063 chip, while I need drivers built on the PT4115 whose offer dedicated PWM dimming pin.

Secondly, I fired my led with my non dimmable drivers, and boy, what a light show. I'm nearing the too-bright-to-face level which is a good starting point :devil:

hipowerled1.jpg

hipowerled4.jpg

hipowerled3.jpg

hipowerled5.jpg

hipowerled2.jpg

I know it's ridiculous trying to take picture of direct light source, and those was so powerful my camera wasn't too happy trying to adapt to the intensity.
I definitely will need some dimming, at least 30% down. The bad thing it that leds are spreading too much, causing nasty flares when view sideways. So just ordered a set of 5° focusing lens along with the correct led drivers.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I had a very busy week but finally I could log some hours on the project today.

I installed the headlight. God those things are PITA to install and adjust.

Driver:
headlight7.jpg

headlight5.jpg

Passenger:

headlight4.jpg

headlight6.jpg

Still not pleased by the alignment, but this is a two persons job, and my helping hand du jour could stay any long.
Not a problem, this was not my actual goal, I wanted to try a headlight mod :

headlight2.jpg

headlight1.jpg

headlight3.jpg

I implemented the design proposed by BBShark(VM).
It don't open enough, and the open state is not really stable anymore, you can close the door with little pressure on the headlight flap. Still a good start, to be continued.

Also as you can see I'm done with the bumper assembly. Here again a PITA, lots of parts to interconnect, bolts everywhere.

frontbumper1.jpg

While I was a it I reinstalled the horns.

frontbumper2.jpg

frontbumper3.jpg

I'm still looking to get a set of spoiler, but in the meanwhile the stock spoiler is better on the car that on a shelve. Anyhow, it's more about checking if I have all the brackets and the bolts than doing a final assembly.

Thank to Roco71(CF) I could finish my passenger door.
doorcover.jpg

And as I said before, the radiator is back in place, with coolant.
radiator2.jpg

The more I see my radiator, the more I think it's ridiculously tiny. Next time I hit the scrapyard I'll look for some twin fan setup.

radiator1.jpg

It don't open enough, and the open state is not really stable anymore, you can close the door with little pressure on the headlight flap. Still a good start, to be continued.

headlight1.jpg

Something is not correct there. The headlight door should be basically level and yours looks like the front edge is lower than the back. The link has to go over center. If it goes over center you won't be able to push it down, not without breaking something.

headlight1.jpg

Something is not correct there. The headlight door should be basically level and yours looks like the front edge is lower than the back. The link has to go over center. If it goes over center you won't be able to push it down, not without breaking something.

I will get a second look tomorrow and take pictures.

[

Mike, I've checked the headlight tonight, and you was correct, there was something wrong.

There is one variable of the headlight tuning equation I overlooked : the position of the linkage axis, hold by those bolts :

headlightlink0.jpg

If I let the axis go all the way to the back :

headlightlink2.jpg

Then headlight reach the position we were expecting, flat horizontal, in a locked resting state :

headlightlink3.jpg

Even it I start to wondering if I can afford those sexy (and pricey) 90mm headlight, it looked as good as I expected.

BUT then the closed state don't work anymore, the mechanism don't have strenght anymore to more the headlight past that point :

headlightlink1.jpg

It hasn't reached the adjustement screw head yet and is basicaly floating.

When I installed the headlight, I was basically in the opposite situation: axis all the way to the other side, nice closing but incomplete opening.

So I tried to find a compromise position but after a good dozen of attempts I start to wonder if the two ranges even overlaps.
I know you're using 3D physic simulator on a regular basis, was the headlights motion simulated?
Sometimes I miss my huge box of Legos, I used to create some pretty wicked mechanisms with them when I was kid.

Mike, I've checked the headlight tonight, and you was correct, there was something wrong.

Then headlight reach the position we were expecting, flat horizontal, in a locked resting state :

BUT then the closed state don't work anymore, the mechanism don't have strenght anymore to more the headlight past that point :

When I installed the headlight, I was basically in the opposite situation: axis all the way to the other side, nice closing but incomplete opening.

Jim, Something is still not right. I don't see the link in the pictures so I can't say.

The Hellas also are much deeper that the sealed beams. So, you have to cut up the door pretty good

Jim, Something is still not right. I don't see the link in the pictures so I can't say.

The Hellas also are much deeper that the sealed beams. So, you have to cut up the door pretty good
Pretty tough to get picture now the headlights are in, but I'll try, even for the sake of validating your design, because I didn't realise the depth difference and no I won't cut my doors for that.

I have a couple (2 large boxes full) of those 90mm modules hi beams, SAW & EU lo beams, some with spiffy alu covers :)

24a33c9bddc9e5.jpg

24a33c9bf03539.jpg

24a33c9c025808.jpg

24a33c9c15daae.jpg

24a33c9c258c70.jpg

I'd love to update the lights on my C3 with projector lights - but I'm afraid with my lack of knowledge on the subject I'd have boxes full of lights that don't work or aren't legal...

I have a couple (2 large boxes full) of those 90mm modules hi beams, SAW & EU lo beams, some with spiffy alu covers :)

If only running a high beam and a low beam the overall cost it kina ok, but if you want to get a hi-low beam to have two low beam, prices get unsane.
Anyhow, they look really deep and as said, I won't cut my light doors.

So, TT - those fall off a Truck? Hell of a deal you've got there - thinking of becoming a distributor? If interested in selling any, do you have a price for a set of 2+2?

Cheers - Jim

So, TT - those fall off a Truck? Hell of a deal you've got there - thinking of becoming a distributor? If interested in selling any, do you have a price for a set of 2+2?

Cheers - Jim
I'm afraid shipping price from Europe would offset any deal he could make you.

What's the running jokes with name here, did I screw up someone name???

?:confused:

First Mike call me Jim, then Kastern call Mike Steeve, then Mike calls Kastern Fred....:confused::confused:

:eek: brings back olde tyme memories, 1/2 a century ago in college there was a German fellow in the dorm, and he had the typical heavy accent, just like Karsten today....his 'handle' was Sauerkraut.......

Hal was a good guy, he dished it out good as he got....

:smash::thumbs:

Cheers - Jim
I'm afraid shipping price from Europe would offset any deal he could make you.

EH, doubtful it would EVER equal shipping a box of bolts.....

I let TT tell you about that one.......:eek::twitch: