My '76 restoration (long post)

Calipers: I just converted my rear calipers to O-ring and had two bleeders leak. They did not leak before so I really wonder WTF is causing them to leak. I tightened some more and the leak stopped ... But they're now really tight, shouldn't have to tighten that much ... I wonder if you took the threads off an old bleeder could it be used as a lapping tool ??? Some lapping compound should create a better sealing surface ...
You're supposed to "over tighten" them for the bleeder to deform and take the shape of the seat, I've tighten mine to death without result.
I'm gonna take the caliper to my machinist and see if we can fix it.
Who said I was done with the mechanical problems? Me of course:cussing:
Those calipers are a full bag of bad apples.

even though my calipers are fine now.... the D8 Wilwood calipers are on sale and I am seriously considering buying a set.....:smash:

huh, more like 1/4" alas, which is absurd.

that's a lot... do you have some 8115 glue leftover ??? break the door skin seam, force a few wedges in there, pry it 1/4" out and fill the gap with 8115 glue....

lots of work but the next best optionis a new door..... :eek::tomato:

even though my calipers are fine now.... the D8 Wilwood calipers are on sale and I am seriously considering buying a set.....:smash:
Or those not-that-expensive wilwood dynalite with the bracket from Corvette Engineering.
Today checked the seat of the leaking caliper, it was damaged. With a drill bit, on the press drill, but turned by hand my buddy managed to clean the seat, took a little tweaking on the bleeder too.

Then....

I decided to inspect all other seats, bad news, two on the rear caliper seat are just gone. You can see remains of a seat but it's mostly a straight hole.
I'll probably give a repair kit a try, even if it means enlarging the hole, which isn't even centered. If it crack, so it be.

huh, more like 1/4" alas, which is absurd.

that's a lot... do you have some 8115 glue leftover ??? break the door skin seam, force a few wedges in there, pry it 1/4" out and fill the gap with 8115 glue....

lots of work but the next best optionis a new door..... :eek::tomato:
Still got ton of 8115, merely started using it yet.
I agree I may have to skin off the door, but I think I would then rather tweak the metal frame.
Here's a photoshop simulation :
digitalyedited.jpg

I bent down the upper corner (where the arrow points), then moved the whole door up and it looks better already.
I wish I could do that with the skin still on...

Anyway, as advised by Jeremy I'm gonna beg for some of Mike's expertise.

So I thought bleeding the brakes would be a walk in the park. How wrong I was.
It's surely partly my fault for not checking everything before starting the bleed, only if I knew I've been sold a set of junk part.
Turned out one front caliper had a damaged seat, but that one could be repair with a drill bit and some caution.
The rear calipers were another story. The seat of the bleeder were actually gone for good. They actually had been drilled out, no kidding.
See for yourself :
bleederrepair2.jpg
This is the caliper after we redrilled it to accept a 1/4 NTP repair fitting, you see that crescent shape in the bottom, that's the remain of the bubba's drilling.
I don't know what was the idea, and I don't want to....

Here's the bleeder once repaired :
bleederrepair.jpg

The repair fitting is machined out of a regular NTP plug, couldn't find one locally and didn't to wait for an online order.
Worked well.

So now I can actually start the build.

Make a "ghetto" speed bleeder :
brakebleeder1.jpg

brakebleeder2.jpg

The cutout in the middle is for the pression to go in both reservoir, saves me a fitting.
All went nicely.
The whole system was empty dry so as advised by forum member I will do a second bleed. I first let it sit for a while, will then gently whack all the lines to remove any air bubble, then bleed again.

I also filled my PS pump, and started to "prime" the system with that :
pspumppriming.jpg

Sure I can't get much pressure with it, but still I can make the fluid circulate. I'll wait to have someone around to operate the steering box and the hydroboost while I do that.

Last problem solving : my rear rims.
I have 10.5" rim at the back (8" at the front). Originally it was mounted with a small Mr Gasket 1/4" spacer. I was told it's not the best setup, so I looked for proper wheel adapter.
I was given a set of 1" adapter, nice and sturdy but is made my wheels really sticking out of the body : I would need a flare job.
So I decided to rethink from the start : why the 1/4" spacer? Because otherwise the rims would hit the calipers. I checked and it was hitting by not much, 0.15" at worst.
So I took the wheels to my best machinist and I had this 0.15" removed from the wheel itself.

wheels.jpg
Now the rims are fitting much better, barely sticking out, I can live with that, and I'm saving months of fiberglassing.
Never like flares on Vette anyway.
That also gave me the occasion to learn how to operate that antique tire changing machine he had in a corner of his shop, and did put my summer tires on my DD while I was there.

New batch of stuffs :

Bought that for later:
gils.jpg

May I'll put them inside out, à la Balwin-Motion. We'll see.
If I manage to do the also BM-style real window mod I'm thinking about, that would be coherent.

And I took the fiberglass dust issue that's coming seriously :
dustcollector.jpg
That's the Harbor Freight dust collector, 110v 2HP.
I could get it even cheaper on Ebay.

After all the whining I decided to act and show the door who's boss :D

Jacked up the door with a piece of wood to distribute load (not on picture, bare with me it's a re-enactement), and hammered the corner of the metal frame of the door down approx. 1/4".

bodywork-06-molestingthedoor.jpg

Then I reajusted the door higher, and here's the result.

bodywork-10-nowitfits4.jpg

bodywork-07-nowitfits.jpg

The area that have been previously repaired is sticking out, an the frame behind looks bended, I'm gonna separate them, reajust the frame and then rebuild the skin area. Anyway the current repair is really crappy, dunno what resin they used, but the result is awfully brittle.
bodywork-08-nowitfits2.jpg

The bottom looks good too. The rear looks a little lower but it's because the bond cracked.

bodywork-09-nowitfits3.jpg

While I'm at it, here's the machined wheels installed without the spacers, good enouch for me.
bodywork-12-nomoreflares.jpg

bodywork-11-nomoreflares.jpg

I also put the front clip on *again*, and decided it was time to remove the bumper assy that came with it. I've left it on so far to avoid any deformations, but now I'm nearing the final installation.

Turned out the driver fender bracket had rusted out

bodywork-14-bracketrustedout.jpg

For those, if any, wondering the function of those bracket, here's the consequences :

bodywork-15-rustedoutbracketconsequences.jpg

Important note: Ken's told me about the crack before selling it to me. I knew the crack, I just didn't know the reason.

So bought a new bracket.
It was a NOS GM part, clean paint, still the GM sticker on.
Some would call blasphemy, but I stripped off the original paint only to discover light rust under !
Then the usual treatment.

I actually POR15ed the crap out of these parts.
mission codename "never again"

bodywork-16-newbracket.jpg

I could them proceed to install my own bumper assy on the frame

bodywork-13-bumperinstalled.jpg

It felt weird, it's probably the very first part I restored.
Poor dude spent 2 years outside on a balcony.
It helps me support the front of the clip and start adjusting things.

So far, so good :
bodywork-17-frontfit.jpg

Took me a lot of trial to get the number of shim behind the hinges right.

bodywork-17-globalview.jpg

Next step: fix the front clip crack then put the hood back on.

This week I took care of my radiator support.
Cut the rotten bottom, and weld in some thick replacement.
bodywork-19-radiatorsupportrepair2.jpg

I had those broken bolts at the bottom... fixed
bodywork-18-radiatorsupportrepair.jpg

With a piece of sponge tied to some wire I could POR15 the inside of the frame.
Here is the beast back in place for the test fit.
bodywork-20-radiatorsupportrepaired.jpg

Now, in the logical following, I tried to put my hood back on the front clip, and so started to have a closer look at it and start removing all this bondo at the edge...
Well, I should have guessed it.
It also have been broken, and again fixed with this brittle low quality resin. all the fiberglass patched looked like dry straw.
So I decided to throw the towel on this, I'm not gonna try to repair a broken hood, its shape is too critical to the car aesthetic.
Contacted a corvette local hoarder (in the good sense of the term) and found a hood in perfect shape for 150$. It had a functional hood cowl flap :
newhood.jpg

My previous hood didn't have those. So far I'm thinking about keeping it and putting a switch in the dash to control it. Probably the only possible reason for closing the door would be heavy rain.

Here's the flap mechanism after a little cleaning/derust/repaint.
cowlflap.jpg

Little cleaning on the hood latches
hoodlatches.jpg

Next step is to redo the hood metal insert for the hinges, without unbounding the hood frame... gotta make some holes...

Ok, so the hood support plate where shoot, I decided to redo them in SS, no less

ssplates.jpg

This was my first foray into making SS part, boy it's another world, special drill bit, special tap, and the thing is hard as hell.

I made a hole in the front to retreive et reinsert the plates
hingeholes.jpg

Or course I had to use pop rivets to put the new plate back in, my car probably already has a negative NCRS score anyway.

hinges2.jpg

hinges1.jpg

The hood support plate required its own hole

hoodsupport.jpg

I don't think the holes really affects the structural strength of the hood, so I'm gonna leave them for now. Just like the inner fender crack, I'll take care of this when the car enters the bodywork/fiberglassing stage, the garage is not setup for this yet.
Now time to install the hood and make final front clip adjustments.

progress ... cant wait to see the front assembled :thumbs:
Thanks buddy.
I got to admit my updates are pretty dull those times.

I just love my new job, but it consume a lot of time.
I get less time for the resto, but it's used more efficiently. Now I can shopping for steel, bolts, drill bit and such pretty much when I want, less stress.

Concerning the front clip, I think it's coming, for real. I Installed and shimmed the new hood tonight, and everything it lining up nicely.

Here's what you do went you only got a couple of hours :

rebuildhoodcable2.jpg
rebuildhoodcable.jpg

I Salvaged the original plates, SS cable and teflon lined sheath are from the local by store.
I heated the plates to avoid breaking the small notches, but I pressed the new cable in hard while too hot, they got wider. lol.
When a rusted cable break, you're in trouble, I just bought myself more peace of mind.

I've removed the front clip again because something was worrying me : the contact surfaces.

Most of them are good, thickness from 0.08" to 0.14". Like this area:
thickenough.jpg

But near the door front edge, that's another story:
toothin.jpg

, I got 0.05" and it thins out to nothing toward the edge. I'm gonna reinforce it before moving on.

So I glassed those weak areas
I use vaccum glassing technique to use as little resin as possible.
Over the fiberglass I've put this plastic film with tiny holes then an absorbing mat, and wood shims then clamps.
glassing.jpg

Is saved me some sanding time, but not sure it's really worth the effort.
I used the thinnest fiberglass mat I could get, I don't want my glassing to ruins my hood fitting, still I was some meat to put screws for final aligment.

glassed1.jpg

glassed3.jpg

glassed2.jpg

Now time for the passenger side, I've some area to recreate.
passengerside1.jpg

passengerside2.jpg

By the way, does anyone go a picture of what this hood corner support look like when it's it's complete.

I think I'm gonna love bodywork, really.

Passenger side done :

passengersizerepaired.jpg

Front clip is back on, good contact surface

clipcontactarea.jpg

Now got to find someone to help me put the doors back on, then we'll enter the front clip installation last straight.

can you get to all the mating surfaces to make sure you've got good contact everywhere? How about modeling clay ?? stick clay to the body , maybe 15 mm thick.... and then place masking tape on top of it... then put the front clip in place and remove it again.... inspect the clay for even (smooshed) thickness, maybe 3 or 5 mm ... if some areas are 2mm and some others are 14mm you have a problem !!!

I'd do this extra step to make 100% sure that when you apply the expensive 8116 glue it really makes contact everywhere where it's supposed to....

might be overkill but you invested so much time and work so far... now you want to be sure it fits correctly.

can you get to all the mating surfaces to make sure you've got good contact everywhere? How about modeling clay ?? stick clay to the body , maybe 15 mm thick.... and then place masking tape on top of it... then put the front clip in place and remove it again.... inspect the clay for even (smooshed) thickness, maybe 3 or 5 mm ... if some areas are 2mm and some others are 14mm you have a problem !!!

I'd do this extra step to make 100% sure that when you apply the expensive 8116 glue it really makes contact everywhere where it's supposed to....

might be overkill but you invested so much time and work so far... now you want to be sure it fits correctly.
Excellent remark Karsten.
First, of course nothing fits, I mean to get everything to stick to they mating surface, it gonna take screws.
Now, I could actually check pretty much everywhere, and it's not bad. Maybe the vertical from surface has a bigger gap but it pretty much depends on how tight I'm gonna make it waist.

There is also this horizontal contact area, in the middle of the picture
passengersizerepaired.jpg

It's a bit off, where everything is fitting tight, the gap here is still 4-mm, but looks like it's how it came off the factory.
More more-expensive-than-printer-ink-glue there to fill the gap I get, I'm not gonna glass this.
I think I'm gonna only glue the inaccessible area before installing the front clip for good, then glue all the accessible area by squirting in the gap. That pretty much what Eckler's paper says.
Add many pressing screws and a few spreading ones and I think I'll be in bussiness *finger crossed*

if it's within 8mm (5/16") it's probably OK

for 3M 8116 (8115) the recommended thickness for adhesive is on the tech sheet, think it's 3-4mm, too thick and it might not work

I used screws too. how about using the screws and force the panels into position without glue first ? that's what I did. I bolted the fender flares in place "dry" and let the car sit in the Florida sun for a few hours, the fiberglass actually somewhat "gives" and the fit gets better.... maybe try that with the entire front clip.... only questionremains: where do you get FL heat in Montreal ???

for 3M 8116 (8115) the recommended thickness for adhesive is on the tech sheet, think it's 3-4mm, too thick and it might not work
Oh shit, I forgot that, taking glue thickness into about.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Gonna make some small shims.
Something I wish those front clips were bolted on, à la Panic :lol:

I used screws too. how about using the screws and force the panels into position without glue first ? that's what I did.
Yup, that was the plan, I'll lay down the glue only when every gap and level is sorted out.
I bolted the fender flares in place "dry" and let the car sit in the Florida sun for a few hours, the fiberglass actually somewhat "gives" and the fit gets better.... maybe try that with the entire front clip.... only questionremains: where do you get FL heat in Montreal ???
Don't worry about the heat, we're getting our share. Montreal is notoriously humid by the summer, and we hit a historical heat record last week.
Alas not enough to soften a Corvette body.
Especially when the car is in a garage with a sloping entrance that directly leads to the street :push:.

Oh shit, I forgot that, taking glue thickness into about.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Gonna make some small shims.
Karsten, are you sure about the thickness thing. I did some searching and looks like there's tiny glass beads in the product to ensure optimum bead thickness and it's in the 10-12 mils (0.3 mm).

A good rule of thumb is 1/8" min for all the "bodied" adhesives, liquid adhesives are tight.
Butter both sides before final assembly, making sure the adhesive is pressed in tight to the glass before adding any buildup for thickness.
Apply all your adhesive before assembly, adding any later won't give you a strong result.

While you're at this stage, pay special attention to the corner mounts, the ones that were secured by the pop rivets. As you probably know, they are a prime concern for trapping water and rusting the cowl underneath. If they have never been removed, it might be a good idea to do that, prep the finish the metal and use a good 2 part urethane flexible structural adhesive to secure them. After that add a good smooth bead of urethane caulk to seal the transition (metal to glass area) and feed water way to drain, especially the inboard side, close to the leaf screen. SolarSeal 900 works well and stays flexible for decades. When installing the windshield, don't use the lower corner rubber diverters, they just traps more water.