Cool "How a F1 Car Works" Video

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Haven't followed F1 for a wile but I just watched this animation. It's covers everything, aero, cooling, power, suspension, brakes, etc. Since its an animation, the car can be taken apart, exploded view, systems view, airflow....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7707zEX9X4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7707zEX9X4[/ame]

The aero portion is great!
Ditto for the force induction section.
F1 is all state of the art.

Back in the 90's one company I worked for was the #1 purchaser of a miniature high response pressure sensor. When ever we contacted the rep, we got awesome customer support. All of a sudden we didn't seem to get the same level of support. By support I mean, panic, short notice orders or design improvements.

Later we found out what changed. Apparently, the top F1 team had secretly started incorporating these sensors. Once the other teams found out, they all started ordering sensor like mad. :)

It got so crazy, teams were ordering sensors for the following season. I think they eventually geared up production and support went back to normal.

Last edited:
This video reminded me of another story.

When I was a grad student an open wheel race car team brought in some helmets and said the drivers head bobbled around at high speeds. It was given to one of the guys in the lab to work on. It is a pretty common phenomenon, like humming telephone/power lines.

Anyway the student did some test, measurements, flow vis, et cetera and added some vortex generators and optimized the placement. They picked up the helmet and after the race the guy that carried the helmet won a technology award. No mention of the student. I think they even used all his results, movies, and photos.

Early lesson on how the business world works.

In my experience, there is an endless line of people ready to take credit for other peoples work. I used to have a teacher that said "a liar is a thief". Truer words were never spoken. What a liar has stolen is your trust.