C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

When not into sailing - I got into tunnel hulls. Racing boats, but also a design and prototype build for Silverline later merged with Arctic Cat. Believe they've long since closed that operation-based in MN. I'll have to dig out a couple of ancient pics - maybe in the attic.
Years later (an AF-career later), in OZ I got really enthused with the Ausie (originally from South Africa) Thunder Cats.
I penned a design with a builder in Malaysia for a tender for sailboats/power cats/etc.. Probably never went anywhere - I left.
thunder-cat-boat-racing-in-swansea-bay-769291150.jpg

You could really Kick Ass with low HP - nice for a tender, inflatable, collapsible. FUN! Downside - the groceries might get damp.

Chris - I applaud your recreational side step! Looks like a heap of fun.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks, guys!
Love the Glaspar! They look really cool skipping across the water. theres a guy around here who bought a similar flat-bottom who came out to run with us skiffs in the river... they dont seem to like the chop in the rivers around here so much, as seen by the look on the guys face trying to keep up :LOL:
And those tunnel hulls look COOL! Havent seen those before.

Sorry for the un-exciting thread bump, no progress on the corvette, and the boat progress is slow. I was really hoping to have at least one toy to play with this summer. Sometimes I avoid the forum to keep my mind off of my expensive paperweight(s)... Feels good to pop back in and say hey though!

Reactions: rtj
Chris,
Seems like projects just keep multiplying, at lest for me. I haven't done much on the Corvette. I decided a month ago to clean up my garage. I literally had no place to set things down, every horizontal surface filled with stuff. Including tables I set up (to put more stuff on)!

I'm getting there, ~2 more weeks

its back! Well it's been back, but between customer cars and life and the boat, I haven't had any time to continue on with my portion of the build. Soon though! im beyond thrilled with the fab work done. the cage is all 1.75 chromoly. It's about as tight as you're going to get it in a coupe. For now Im content just looking at it 😁
4236D97D-FDCC-48BF-A942-2F89199571AF.jpeg
39F9B2FE-62B5-413F-8BEE-AB3095A57B32.jpeg
63362F44-698B-4829-ACD5-4189C407B1CB.jpeg
FC65D730-11C9-4830-AA47-1CF44CD92CB7.jpeg
264347E6-0EE4-4F19-A141-90FAF027F20B.jpeg

oh and this silly boat is back from paint too… second pic is to show off the metal flake. It is wild in the sun!
AC6D32B8-A472-40C4-A6E7-35AE0B76F52D.jpeg
F27D647E-CC27-4A13-A886-B7F95623E9DF.jpeg
I've got a lot on my plate and it's never felt so good!

I really, really like that cage. I've been considering how I'm going to improve my car - and a cage would do all the right things... and I could also take more advantage of the space I created with the Camaro clip

Thanks!
a bit of plumbing and wiring to do before its ready to fire up... Im still working on a list of things to do and buy. I forgot where I left off with alot of it. Able to move under its own power by the summer? Maybe?

so here we are, almost a year later and I am ready to actually start working on this again… it sat in my garage at home while I Worked on finishing the boat over the summer. The boat is pretty much done now so my focus is on the Vette. I brought it back to the shop today and man does it just feel …right!
a few boat pics and then hopefully I'll be able to start posting some new Vette work in the next week or so
65E204DB-64B6-40E0-9A02-E2BCC5588FE0.jpeg
BB2EBDC8-05E5-457B-B99B-AEE3AB8C9919.jpeg
0C0ECCCC-32CF-4AE6-B727-15BF10017E84.jpeg

Sweet. The boat and again the Vette. That cage is awesome.
The builder worked every detail that could be imagined.
Looking forward to more pics - of both. The Vette and the boat!

Oh Yeah - the block off plate!

Cheers - Jim

wrapping the brakes up… one thing I did incorrectly when I first put this together was the vibration isolation of the ABS unit. I've replaced the rubber "washer" with some proper vibration pads. This also meant changing from hardline out of the ABS to a flex line. I made up some angles out of aluminum to mount these junction points. I machined these so that the fitting can't spin so only one wrench is needed when tightening.

01C8EBB2-1811-43CF-9924-ABAB1C4BC41F.jpeg
4E2B063D-9C43-49CB-B1A1-52B0EC98F402.jpeg

This is a Teves MK60 which comes out of the E46 chassis BMW M3. Its totally standalone and works well in light motorsport applications with the factory programming... Bosch makes an aftermarket one specifically for motorsport but its $$$$

This is a Teves MK60 which comes out of the E46 chassis BMW M3. Its totally standalone and works well in light motorsport applications with the factory programming... Bosch makes an aftermarket one specifically for motorsport but its $$$$
the silver 69 Camaro doing the west coast stuff on Optima has anti-lock brakes. He works for Boeing and I think (know?) that bleeds into his car. He always does well, but I think he was 1s faster then before IIRC. I looked up the stand alone stuff... not cheap, didn't know about the Teves ... pretty cool.

Weekend projects…
the brake system plumbing is done… I changed the ABS to all banjo fittings to keep things as low profile as possible since the oil cooler duct is right on top of it. the master-to-ABS is -4AN while the rest is -3AN
4C40ABD2-40CD-49D8-927B-D086FC9B5A39.jpeg
8B044A41-2952-40EC-8309-7E2BA3976909.jpeg
Next project is affixing the front clip to the new chassis. no more (stock) fender wells and rad support… I'm also going to make it removable, with quarter turn fasteners and the hood hinge bolts. im out of argon so all I could do was tack this side together. 1"x.125" tubing
7E33D959-ECDC-496B-B1E9-CBB6FF32810D.jpeg
E6C493C3-A47D-49CA-9A9F-694462FFF745.jpeg
208E13FA-FB70-4692-8E0A-F0BCE16D10D9.jpeg
The remaining inner fender is just there for alignment purposes now. Will all be cut out afterwards

the silver 69 Camaro doing the west coast stuff on Optima has anti-lock brakes. He works for Boeing and I think (know?) that bleeds into his car. He always does well, but I think he was 1s faster then before IIRC. I looked up the stand alone stuff... not cheap, didn't know about the Teves ... pretty cool.
im keeping my expectations low… the cost of this unit with parts is less than a new set of tires after flatspotting them 😆 so as long as it prevents that, I'm content… anything more and I'll be thrilled

and thanks bob! It's such a blast to drive.

Upper radiator line… too long for a rubber hose, and has to be out of the way for the radiator duct. Tubing bead roller, dimple die set and tubing notcher I bought for customer projects I finally get to use on my own car 😁
A276979E-8BEA-44C9-9B2E-5779EA6F98E9.jpeg
AF52D502-4EB1-4BBD-8E83-B2A99D3B5E68.jpeg

Waterneck finished… this is a 1.5" tall billet spacer with the side machined out and a filler neck welded on top. the available off the shelf options out there were too tall or didn't have the correct output. All the placement in these parts takes into account for a future motor change 😉
82758EBC-0A74-4877-86C2-FD843A758E67.jpeg

almost forgot about the scales I bought years ago! the car is dry and has no interior, but most of the rest of the car is here. i haven't done any spring or sway bar preload so I'm assuming that's where my big jump from FL to FR is. But really happy with the front and rear distribution and overall weight so far. AND this is with an iron block. It shouldn't take much to make this a really well balanced car
01C53521-DB80-46A0-B3AE-C92584A22AE9.jpeg

Looking good!
A little left-sideheavy, perhaps the driver is aboard?
Were the ARBs disconnected? Could be a differential there too.
cornerwts.jpg

I am always amazed when I check before buying a new "tool," the ones I find tucked away.
Even more amazed, when I buy one only to find that now I have a "Spare!"
I assume the unit does these calcs as one of the FNs.

Cheers - Jim