Build your own Camber Strut Rods vs VBP

SmokinBBC

Need to replace my VBP poly strut rods...so I was doing a comparison of making my own with parts from Speedway versus the VBP Racing strut rods.

I'm not trying to bash VBP setup, just trying to make a comparison. Without actually knowing what componants that VBP uses, I'm making the assumption that the joints are the same. The speedway motor joints are chome moly with teflon races. I'm guessing that the VBP setup doesn't have seals. VBP comes with the square bracket pieces (which I already have).

I could also use the aluminum tie rod tubes from speedway for a buck or so more...they have the adjusting flats on them.

Build your own can save some money.

VBP Racing Struts:

Part# 422213 224.99

Speedway parts list:

Steel Cone Spacers, 5/8" Hole$7.99 $7.99
Sku: 5464110

AFCO Swaged Steel Tube - 12"$11.99 $23.98
Sku: 10619512

3/4" Steel Jam Nuts - Pack of 6$3.99 $3.99
Sku: 1756047-LH

3/4" Steel Jam Nuts - Pack of 6$3.99 $3.99
Sku: 1756047-RH

Chrome Moly LH Male Heim, 3/4"-16 Shank, 5/8" Hole$25.99 $51.98
Sku: 91002346

Chrome Moly RH Male Heim, 3/4"-16 Shank, 5/8" Hole$25.99 $51.98
Sku: 91002146

Heim Seals 5/8" Hole, Set/6$11.99 $23.98
Sku: 91001504

Sub Total: $167.89

good job on providing part numbers, makes it easy for others :thumbs:

If your poly strut rods are shot, you can re-use your threaded tubes, unscrew and remove the poly ends and install the new rod ends....

If my tube threads are good, I won't get those...I won't get the jam nuts either.

Should have mentioned that for an extra $100 bucks you could get the Aurora joints which I think TT likes.

shouldn't be anything wrong with the tubes, I re-used mine....just remove the poly rubbish and it's done :D

I put mine together with parts from a local speed shop, sleeves and jam nuts $25 4 ends from VBP around $10 ea and the poly bushing out of the kit I bought. So mine went toghther for about $100

Ours have been in the DD about 10 years now. Guess I should see how they are doing sometime.:goodevil:

Ours have been in the DD about 10 years now. Guess I should see how they are doing sometime.:goodevil:

Yeh, my first set of poly VBP bushings lasted almost ten years.....rebuilt with a set from earlier years, and a extra wrap of some sort of poly can pronounce plastic from phone pole guide wire across the street, tough as hell yellow shit...

so far so good....

I put mine together with parts from a local speed shop, sleeves and jam nuts $25 4 ends from VBP around $10 ea and the poly bushing out of the kit I bought. So mine went toghther for about $100

That's a good price for all that. Which ends did you get from VBP? What did you use the poly bushing for?

summit and Jegs sell $10 rod ens too but I'd spend the few bux more and get the teflon lined ones

That's a good price for all that. Which ends did you get from VBP? What did you use the poly bushing for?

The poly went in the ends I got from VBP, they accept the 80-82 bushings. They're the same ends they sell as part of the smarts stuts

The poly went in the ends I got from VBP, they accept the 80-82 bushings. They're the same ends they sell as part of the smarts stuts

I have VBP struts as above, so you saying I can use 80-82 GM rubber bushings?? that would be GREAT if I could.....

:clap:

I pulled the poly strut rods. The dirvers side poly is almost completely gone. The passenger side is showing signs of heavy wear. I don't get it....it's not like I raced the car. And everything lined up well.

I put in the heim joint set-up. I went with 5/8 by 3/4. The diff mount holes were only 1/2". They use a reducer sleeve on the VBP 5/8 poly ends. I cut new bracket ends rather than trying to enlarge the VBP ones.

The joints are pretty beefy. I went with the seals it seals and cone spacers. 5/8 hardened washers filled the gaps nicely. Very tight set-up.

Dialed in 1/2 degree of camber and took it out for a test spin. The ride is much better. Not sure if it is the heims or just replacing the busted up poly struts but the feel is tight. Test spin turned into a thrill ride. Ripped around quite a few curvey roads at a rather high speed(I shouldn't do that) and it handled exceptionally.

good to hear there's a noticeable difference (improvement), I'll be installing my heim joint strut rods some time in January as part of my rear suspension overhaul :D