Weight reduction: Running out of ideas.

... Not sure I want Aerospace, my other car has them.

Hmmm -- there is a "rest of the STory there I'd like to hear. Doesn't have to be here - maybe a PM if better. I have the Aerospace Calipers - but yet to STEP on them. Still "in-build."

Cheers - Jim

@69427-- the hurst super shifter 3 is way better than the factory shifter, and has a plastic ball.

I sold the Hurst shifter years ago when I pulled the Muncie out and put the DN five speed in. I ran a Hurst shifter with the five speed, and never liked the feel. Downshifting from fifth to fourth at speed was always an adventure with that piece. I'm not ready to spend additional money on a shifter at the moment, and with the stock shifter mounted on the transmission, instead of remotely mounted on the crossmember, it ought to be a bit more precise this way. If I'm wrong, I'll change it. But for now I'm going to give it a try.

... Not sure I want Aerospace, my other car has them.

Hmmm -- there is a "rest of the STory there I'd like to hear. Doesn't have to be here - maybe a PM if better. I have the Aerospace Calipers - but yet to STEP on them. Still "in-build."

Cheers - Jim

Not a big deal, I sent them the hubs and calipers from my car for rebuild. Great customer service, good turn around, quoted price was reasonable. Got Chinese bearings. I'd have paid extra for quality bearings for extra safety. I'll probably change them when everything else is done.

I took my stock windshield out and it weighs 21lbs. I will let you know what the 3/16 Lexan one ways in a week when I get it.

So my stock deluxe door panels weigh about 11 pounds each. There is weight to be saved if you also take out inner door release and lock handle mechanism and rods. I also found the power window motor cover weighs 1 pound so I will be taking those out as well. I am thinking of making some new door panels and release handle to save 20lbs total between both sides.

1959250_258916020949547_1567993696_n.jpg

New aluminum panel weighed 2 lbs. I still have to bend edge and cover with vinyl so that may add 1 more pound. Total weight savings with door handle mods will be 20 lbs.

I used C2 door handles and the plastic chrome balls... just plasma cut a slot and two mounting holes... they work great as you just push forward on them...

I need to skeletonize the rest of the steel in the door and make an alloy trim panel thum_16532aecb6a1d70.jpg

I used C2 door handles and the plastic chrome balls... just plasma cut a slot and two mounting holes... they work great as you just push forward on them...

I am going to use aluminum lever pretty much just like you did yours and also have to push forward.

I took my stock windshield out and it weighs 21lbs. I will let you know what the 3/16 Lexan one ways in a week when I get it.

Do you have lexan side windows too?

No stock glass with stock power windows. Those will be last to go if I have to.

'80-82 glass is thinner than the earlier car glass and should bolt in on your car.
Best I could do to keep the weight down and keep the power windows. Ive also been casually looking for a lighter window motor out of a new car to replace the factory brick of a motor
423da201.jpg

Do you have lexan side windows too?

No stock glass with stock power windows. Those will be last to go if I have to.

'80-82 glass is thinner than the earlier car glass and should bolt in on your car.
Best I could do to keep the weight down and keep the power windows. Ive also been casually looking for a lighter window motor out of a new car to replace the factory brick of a motor
423da201.jpg

IF the motors on your car are the old round types, like many other of that era.... you MAY find some junkyard motors/gearboxes that will bolt right in, they are black and square looking, not round/silver like many others.....

I just remember some switch over I did on my cars over the years, and I THINK it was on this '72 vette....I put the smaller motors out of junkyard on it, but your car may already have the square black ones.....

:nuts:

Looks nice. Did you do the beading? That makes all the difference in panels.

I recall a local shop can openering mine the night before a race. He said, "stop on your way out of town and I'll have them!" He delivered and all I had to do was transfer the Dzus fasteners at the track.

Guess who got all of my business until he moved back east.....

Looks nice. Did you do the beading? That makes all the difference in panels.

I recall a local shop can openering mine the night before a race. He said, "stop on your way out of town and I'll have them!" He delivered and all I had to do was transfer the Dzus fasteners at the track.

Guess who got all of my business until he moved back east.....

A friend did it for me.

1558430_259331627574653_1666665389_n.jpg

Door panel with vinyl weighs 3 lbs.

That looks great. There is an alum dash in one of the old l88 race cars that would match those nicely. Edit: The Owens Corning car.

Last edited: