Weight reduction: Running out of ideas.

3/16 Lexan windshield weighs 9 lbs. Stock was 21 lbs. So another 12 lbs. saved.
10013862_260762154098267_1289261715_n.jpg

Do you know about this stuff? I get it at the local airfield for my windshield. Really great stuff....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4[/ame]

Kicking around modifying a C5 or C6 front suspension crossmember to fit under my car. One thing that has me curious is the weight of that part. I don't know what that number is, but it does have to be fairly light to make all the cut and re-weld work worthwhile. The price for these things usually isn't cheap either, which I find a bit odd as there can't be that much demand for these things. If anyone knows the weight of these things I'd sure appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Haven't had any luck finding out the weight of a C5 front cradle yet, but have been amusing myself with other stuff in the mean time. Did a test fit of the new trans crossmember with the exhaust plugged in.
The crossmember so far has made my weight target of ten pounds less than the stock 22#piece (11.4#). I've hung on it a couple times and it feels pretty sturdy. I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to attach a dial indicator to the tunnel area and measure the crossmember deflection when I hang some weight off the center of it.

IM002399_zpsd00a84e7.jpg

I still need to grind a couple areas for additional clearance for the termination box. I screwed up somewhere while I was first measuring stuff. :censored: I still need to make a small bracket that bolts between the crossmember and the transmission mount.

Got the shifter mount built. I'm mounting the stock Muncie shifter on the transmission rather than to a bracket on the crossmember.

IM002395_zps71b290c5.jpg

Earlier test fit.

IM002393_zpsc9aecbee.jpg

I've got the replacement (tubular) shifter linkage almost finished. The swapout from the 5 speed to the Muncie should pull about 40 pounds off the car (trans: -30#, crossmember: -10#, lighter weight pressure plate: -3.5#, new shift linkage: -1#, trans mount bracket: +3#?).

Kicking around modifying a C5 or C6 front suspension crossmember to fit under my car. One thing that has me curious is the weight of that part. I don't know what that number is, but it does have to be fairly light to make all the cut and re-weld work worthwhile. The price for these things usually isn't cheap either, which I find a bit odd as there can't be that much demand for these things. If anyone knows the weight of these things I'd sure appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Well, an ebay vendor was kind enough to answer my question regarding the weight of the C5 cradle that he's selling. He says 44 pounds. I'm disappointed at the weight number because his price is very reasonable, and the steel crossmember I welded up for my car is 35 pounds. I'd have to take 20 pounds off the C5 part to make it worth my time (and expense).

The C6 Z06 cradle is magnesium and lighter (I don't know how much). I can't weld magnesium and I certainly can't justify the price that another vendor is asking for that part.

Hydraulic clutch could be a few lbs worth: "Composite" (plastic?) master cylinder, small plastic reservoir and an aluminum hydro TB. The stock Z-bar, clutch fork and frame bracket have to weigh a decent amount.

Hydraulic clutch could be a few lbs worth: "Composite" (plastic?) master cylinder, small plastic reservoir and an aluminum hydro TB. The stock Z-bar, clutch fork and frame bracket have to weigh a decent amount.

Interesting. I've got a few spare clutch linkage parts laying around. I'll have to weigh them and get an idea what my present clutch linkage weight baseline is.

Still trying to figure out how to get some more weight off the front end. Not having a whole lot of luck figuring out what I can replace, so it looks like I'll try my hand at welding up an aluminum front crossmember. Given the weight of a C5 aluminum crossmember (44#) and the time and expense to modify that, and my present steel crossmember (35#), I think I'll start rounding up some material to weld up a substitute. Here's an ancient picture when I had the present crossmember first tacked together.

IM000676.jpg

I'm painfully slow welding bigger aluminum projects, so I'm hoping I can do a decent amount of the construction before I have to take the car apart to do the final test fitting of things. I don't like having the car apart too long if it means missing an available track day.

Aluminum frame. Just do it, dont cry about it. Make 2 while youre at it ;)

Aluminum frame. Just do it, dont cry about it. Make 2 while youre at it ;)

Well, I guess I'm getting there, piece by piece. ;)

So far I've been getting my material at a local scrapyard, which is fine for small projects, but I need to find a source (and pricing!) for bigger pieces.

As you may know, we have a Nav Air base here, and so on the other side of rt17 was a scrap metal dealer.....I ASSume it's still there....I bought some stuff from them years ago....anyway.....check around your local area if you have a .mil base, and I BET there is a scrap metal dealer...

if not, lemme know some specs' and maybe I breeze on by and see what's what....easy do man.....:smash::smash::thumbs:

Why not make a chrome-moly tube cross member? There is a reason why there are so many companies making them for fox mustangs and f bodies. Tig welding it is pretty much like steel, but with matching rod material.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/mmfp-0704-fox-body-drag-racing-suspension/

"Total weight savings was also impressive, with a total drop of 56.9 pounds, mostly in the all-important end of the car, the front."

I'll confess I don't have any experience welding chrome moly. I used to hear a lot about heat treating issues when welding that material. Right now I just feel more comfortable welding aluminum.

Was at a track day in Topeka today. With me in the car, along with my helmet and a 1/8th tank of fuel, the scales read 3061 pounds. I'm 205-207 pounds, so about 210# with the helmet. That gets me a car weight of about 2850 pounds.

Why not make a chrome-moly tube cross member? There is a reason why there are so many companies making them for fox mustangs and f bodies. Tig welding it is pretty much like steel, but with matching rod material.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/mmfp-0704-fox-body-drag-racing-suspension/

"Total weight savings was also impressive, with a total drop of 56.9 pounds, mostly in the all-important end of the car, the front."

I'll confess I don't have any experience welding chrome moly. I used to hear a lot about heat treating issues when welding that material. Right now I just feel more comfortable welding aluminum.

Lots of myths about heat treating the welds on chrome moly according to the books I've read. Aluminum fatigues, so as always there are trade-offs.

Interesting work keep posting you developments.