Removing & Re-using Spicer u-Joints

vette427sbc

Driving myself crazy here... How do I remove a spicer u-joint without breaking the plastic seal at the bottom of the cap? I dont see how I can push the cap out of the shaft far enough to pull it off without crushing the plastic seal. Two are already broken after my first attempt and I dont feel like spending another $100 on 4 new joints :suicide:

I have a new 1350 Spicer U-Joint laying under some magazines on my dining room table.....I'm drowning in car parts here! On this U-joint, the plastic seals are basically the same diameter as the caps. If you push the caps out on the yokes, the plastic seals will push out also. A couple of months ago, I removed a U-joint and had no problem with the plastic seals.........however, the U-joint I removed was unused. (I had to remove the U-Joint because one of the roller bearings had fallen to the bottom of the cup.) Hey!, I'm not perfect....it'd been may years since I replaced a U-Joint.

Bottom line..sorry on my Spicer, the plastic seal is the same diameter as the cap.

I had some shafts shortened and they replaced the seals for a couple of bucks. They must be available without buying the whole joint.

OK so the plastic seals arent an issue anymore, but how do I get the actual caps out?? The joint will only push each cap out of the shaft .5" before bottoming the body on the half shaft... grabbing them with vise grips the best option here? I already got one (cap) out using this method, but the other is fighting me and getting marked up by the vise grips.
Might be easier to just leave them in and sell the whole assembly (flanges and all). The joints are only a few years old.

On another note... I never realized how heavy these Spicer 3" steel shafts are! At least Ill be getting a nice weight savings out of this. If I have to get new joints and flanges Ill be getting pretty close to the cost of the Denny's alu. shafts :banghead::gurney:

just been doing alot of u-joints lately actually. best method i found was to use a vise to grab the cap after you push it so far out. the caps are hardened..... i haven't re-used any of the joints i've taken apart but i can't recall marking the cap up with the vise.

If you have the old style black rings they are brittle and will probably break removing them. If you have the new joints with white rings they can be removed much easier. I have grabbed the end of a cap in a smooth vise and worked it out.

I think I still have stock on the black rings if you need some.

If you have the old style black rings they are brittle and will probably break removing them. If you have the new joints with white rings they can be removed much easier. I have grabbed the end of a cap in a smooth vise and worked it out.

I think I still have stock on the black rings if you need some.

Ok Ill try using an actual vise...
The black rings are definitely brittle! Can I use the white ones? PM me how much the rings are and how I can pay you... Id like to cross this project off the list soon

No I was told the white rings are different and will not interchange with the black. I'll shoot you a PM after I check to see how many I have left. I stocked them because they would break at times just removing the caps. They sure hold up once installed though.