Re-introduction of old Forum member cgc68

cgc68

:hi:fellow Forum members. I have been a member since May 2008. Retired and living in Southeast IL. with the same silver 68 T-top Corvette. I use to be on here a lot and had a body off chassis restoration going on. If you would like to review or catch up I suggest searching for my 68 project updates.

I've been away from the Forums some 2 ½ years. It is good to see some old familiar names and avatars. I wondered why you guys weren't posting on the ** Forum. My bad I was on the wrong form :bonkers:. I never lost my love for the Corvette but I do think I got burned out and just walked away. Not before we (Grandson Jason) finished the car (can you ever get finished with a C3?) and got it back on the road.

I'll try to bring you up to date on the car. I got the body back on in Dec of 2009, started the motor on Aug 7 2010 and drove the car for the first time Aug 14 2010. I'll quote myself," With no street insurance or license plate and maybe to sense I took to the streets today. It was a wild ride. I really need to get those wheels aligned. I am really happy with the way the transmission performed (rebuilt 200 4R). The shifts were very smooth. I couldn't get much speed up in town. I didn't want to draw attention to a Vette with no insurance, licenses, hood, or air breather. I replaced the old TH400 with a 200 4R. I rebuilt it myself (with a LOT of help from you Forum members)". It has preformed flawless. Good job guys!

Until this spring the car has been setting mostly. Like I said I think I burned myself out working so long. I just didn't have the push to do much on it. After we got it back on the road it had two major problems. First it just didn't seem to run/drive right and the brakes – those brakes. Since I've owned the car the brakes have been a problem.

With the help of a friend I found out why the car just didn't seem to run/drive right. The distributor was not advancing we replaced it with a $20 used one and it was like driving a different car WOW! I think the distributor was bad from day one. He told me the vacuum advance wasn't working and the secondary's on the carburetor had not been opening. With renewed interest I bought a turn signal switch to replace the old one. Right now I can't think of the proper name for it but I also bought a kid to shift the transmission automatically into and out of overdrive. He came over to teach me how to buff out my 30-year-old paint ha ha. We cleaned and buffed cleaned and buffed now I am the owner (I should say Jason since I gave the car to him) of a five footer at midnight of a new moon. Local car show this Oct. hope to be there.

As for the brakes, I really thought I had them fixed with the help of 010752 and others. The booster rod was out of adjustment. But since then I have had more brake problems:cry: . So now it may be a bad MC. I'm sure you get sick of the brake problem posts but fair warning I will most likely have to start one.

So in closing I just want to say it is good to be back.

Last edited:
Welcome back, I can relate to the walking away as it's taken far too long to finish my 73.
This year was to be the year until a change in jobs has me away from home far too much to work on the Vette. Some day I to will enjoy the feeling of the 1st drive after all the work.

Stp

Welcome back, I can relate to the walking away as it's taken far too long to finish my 73.
This year was to be the year until a change in jobs has me away from home far too much to work on the Vette. Some day I to will enjoy the feeling of the 1st drive after all the work.

Stp

You will and it will be great, I just hope your alinement will be closer than mine was it was a wild ride.

Welcome back to Vettemod man, I joined in and started my resto pretty much when you left... and still going on.
I know the danger of being burned from a resto that takes too long, I first thought (naively) I could wrap it up in one year, and sometime I can feel it coming, but I dodged it so far.
And I agree, VM is da best.