My '76 restoration (long post)

Nice work, I especially like the electronics effort and the stainless projects! Winter's cold and long in the great white north eh? Seriously though, keep it up, it's coming along!!

nice work....

I have the flares and the body panels for mine, but I'll admit that I'm finding it hard to get started because fiberglass work is so itchy

Thanks!
I did start my resto one year later I would probably have gone for the CI flare set, they are awesome.
I don't get much of the itchy thing, full body combinaison, full face mask and obsessive vaccuming seems to do the job *finger crossed*

Nice work, I especially like the electronics effort and the stainless projects! Winter's cold and long in the great white north eh? Seriously though, keep it up, it's coming along!!
Thanks.
You bet it's cold. This year is loaded, shittons of snow and very cold for the season.
And yeah it's coming along, I'm reaching the point, if I wanted a vanilla Vette I could send it to the paint shop right away.
But no. It's time to do crazy things.:bonkers:

Thanks.
You bet it's cold. This year is loaded, shittons of snow and very cold for the season.
And yeah it's coming along, I'm reaching the point, if I wanted a vanilla Vette I could send it to the paint shop right away.

Yup, whileimatititis!!! Combine that with cabin fever and watch out!! :rofl:

Thanks.

YUP, I remember the yankee cabin fever for 6 months every year.....there is a REASON I moved south, it's called SURVIVAL....:suicide:

Thanks.

First bike ride to work this morning, -30°C outside (same thing in °F).
If you don't get your head cooled after that, you're hopeless (like me).:bonkers:

First bike ride to work this morning, -30°C outside (same thing in °F).
If you don't get your head cooled after that, you're hopeless (like me).:bonkers:

Been there done that LOL

Not as cold as today but...
1804f5e00f3ad4d5.jpg
1804f5e00f3d16e2.jpg

Girls on the handlebars were frozen along two fingers...
1804f5dfe00d6e38.jpg

That day I still managed to burn a full tank of fuel, little over 300 kms
Oh I cheated a bit, I had a heated vest pluged on the bikes battery under the coat.

It wasn't the cold that bothered me so much when riding in the winter, it was that slippery crap on the streets!! The sand was bad enough from sanding the roads, but that ice and snow in a turn and be.....exhilarating!!

Speaking of cold, we're reaching year's coldest day here.
In order to consider the doors complete I had to install the mirrors.

I followed the advice from Ignatz (CF) and fastened my mirrors again the door metal frame.
I had a drilling guide machined. For those wondering the angle is 8°.

mirror6_zps7d325e40.jpg

mirror1_zps7c0d9374.jpg

Took me longer as expected as I realised the driver side mirror was bent. I reformed it again the passenger side mirror and trimmed a bit of the back of the mirror to make sure the mirror would not get stuck when rotated at its maximum angles. What the point of having a remote ft you have to unstuck it by hand.

mirror5_zps7b0b60bd.jpg

On that pic you can see the bolt heads again the frame.
mirror4_zps4fa5930c.jpg

Those are the bolt I used. 1/4 coarse thread, 2".
I think I trimmed them down to 1.8"
Took some time, you have to get the length right down to a single thread, lot of install/remove.
I like those square hole head, a lot of grip.
mirror7_zps822f302d.jpg

mirror3_zpse418f7b2.jpg

the gasket : fat side up.
mirror2_zps866d1809.jpg

On the electronic front I've completed my breadboard validation for my headlight dimmer reader/led dash light dimmer project.
The PCB is eager to get printed, I just need to go pick some fine tune potentiometer before. I learned to wait to have all the needed components before etching a PCB.

I have late shark mirrors on my '72, but mine are mounted way further forward on the doors, helps with visibility.....I even use small bubble mirrors also....

:smash:

Do you remember when I mentioned those cool fuse adapter I got for Xmass?
Well, I got a little sad update about those.

interior-35-fuseadapter_zps898c9ff3.jpg

They come in pack of 8. As you can see, there is only 7 on the picture.
That's because I received only that much.
I didn't mention it at the time, I saw no reason to bash a vendor about something I'd probably get fixed.

Well, no so much.....

After I let him know I only got 7, he says he's sending me the missing one....
Two weeks later the replacement is not here (and to this day didn't make it), the ebay case is about to close and the guy's messages start to sound annoyed : he's sending me another replacement, with tracking #.
Allright then, let's wait again.
The tracked package arrive only to realise the UPS guys wants 26$ of brokerage fee before he hand me the package.
26$ buck for a mere 2.5$ part. Are you freaking kinding me???
Told the UPS he can keep his package.
I message the guy again, and he's all "I already paid plenty to get it fixed, what do you want me to do more".
Well I guess I want him to pay for the 26$, but looks like it didn't crossed his mind.
At this point I had enough, dropped the ball and gave him a bad review, no time to deal with incompetency.
So, if you feel like buying those "Automotive fuse adaptor 8 pack" on Ebay, don't say you haven't been warned.

***** UPDATE *******
02-10-2014:
I just received a package with not one replacement, but 12!, plus a corporate notepad and a pen.
I didn't ask for that much, but I appreciate the move, I'll take that as apologies.
Communication may not be their main strength but they still have a cool and unique product.
Case closed.

Last edited:
Good to hear that Ebay seller did the right thing..... Took a while though.... But now you have a few spares, that's good.....

Still winter in Montreal ? (Sorry, couldn't resist asking) .... :flash:

Good to hear that Ebay seller did the right thing..... Took a while though.... But now you have a few spares, that's good.....

Still winter in Montreal ? (Sorry, couldn't resist asking) .... :flash:
Alas, yes.
Now is the moment Montrealers start losing their legendary friendliness.
It's getting long. Won't get better until late March.:suicide:

That's why it's time to make a trip to the south. Stay tuned....

Car is stuck against the wall, here's all the room I have :
fenderflare2_zps54d99aad.jpg

Gettin' serious...

fenderflare6_zpsc114a7a9.jpg

fenderflare5_zps43b8185a.jpg

fenderflare1_zpsc76c540b.jpg

fenderflare3_zps0fbaa763.jpg

flareschematic_zps2f9b7c62.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are getting ready to flare the wheel opening? Somewhere I saw a good write up of that method. How wide are you planning?
Larry, I'm betting your refering to this article on Corvette Fever right?
If the case, yes I've read it intensively.
If you got more sources, bring'em on :)

I'm gonna flare them by a little inch, just enough to wrap the meat.

Why are you flaring it? Looks the tire fits just fine ?
Alas no they don't fit. Even with the little machining to get rid of the spacers they stick out. Just enough to cross the line that separate custom from Bubba. Pics can me misleading, they look like they fit because the camber adjustment is out of whack.

glassingholes7_zpsdbeb1650.jpg

rearfender2_zps4dd0aa44.jpg