Misc Vintage Racing Clips

That guy doesn't give himself enough credit. That looks like a lot of fun and an ambitious project that most people would have never completed.

Years ago when Tony George started the IRL, I bought some parts from a sprint car fabricator in Indy. He told me that Tony George had bought up all the Indy Lights cars (3.8L Buick V6) because CART was not supporting the series. You could buy one with spares for $15-20K. Like a lot of things, I wish I would have bought one but part of me is glad I didn't.

That guy doesn't give himself enough credit. That looks like a lot of fun and an ambitious project that most people would have never completed.

Years ago when Tony George started the IRL, I bought some parts from a sprint car fabricator in Indy. He told me that Tony George had bought up all the Indy Lights cars (3.8L Buick V6) because CART was not supporting the series. You could buy one with spares for $15-20K. Like a lot of things, I wish I would have bought one but part of me is glad I didn't.

Yeah, he's interesting, he has a lot of videos similar to this on his channel. I won't link anymore here.

Yup, old race cars sky rocketed in price.

I used to go to Indy in the 60's with my dad. He was a USAC member so we got pit passes. That was a great time for racing, innovators and privateers.

I seems like the whole thing collaped after the Granitelli turbine cars.

The Youtube channel has some interesting stuff from the time. Art Arfons, Craig Breedlove, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtj
My in-laws lived there so we'd hear about it. It was the 90's, but the city had lots of race related activities. The Indy paper was filled with articles on the race for over a month. We lived a few hours away, but I read the Indy paper every day. Went to practice a few times. The infield looked like it was a big party. Can't imagine what it was like to be there in the 60's.

All the surrounding small airports would be filled with aircraft for days during the race. :). Hotels packed too.

Had the very good fortune in 1971 to be pitside (working for our local TV station). (I should get to the attic and find those pics.)
Saw Denny Hulme win the CAN_AM at Donnybrooke - opening year. Later caught Peter Reveson in the same type M-8 McLatren.
Always liked the fences-to-wing concept. Almost did it to the little race car, which design was a McLaren near-knock-off.

Cheers - Jim

Reactions: rtj
I liked the front to rear fences on the fenders of the last generation. Outlaw dirt cars adopted something similar.

One of the Silver State Road Racer C-3s did a roof line version. (looking for the image...)

I am similarily interested, for improving flow to a rear wing or spoiler - like the M8.
But, I am also "conflicted " regarding any advantage that might given to fluid (air) rolling off fenders and impac on drag.
That is what makes me wonder - why not more or these? Jim Hall is a smart guy - and Dan Gurney - but didn't. Hmmm?

Boy-oh-by. Could I keep a dozen PhD candidate busy for a few years.

Thanks for reminding me! Too soon old - too late Smart.

Cheers - Jim

;