Michel's 72 coupe rebuild

Hahaha no tricks, I move things around in the garage.
I moved the tool box because I needed to make space beside the oven for a powder coat cabinet where I'm going to sray parts.

everything is very loosely installed.
No front springs and the white little block is holding the front end.

Last edited:
Michel that looks great ....your thread is very helpful i am trying to figure out my best approach to fixing that inner sill that has rusted out and all you pictures give me exactly what i needed. nice work buddy!!! thks bob

Last edited:
Michel that looks great ....your thread is very helpful i am trying to figure out my best approach to fixing that inner sill that has rusted out and all you pictures give me exactly what i needed. nice work buddy!!! thks bob

Well thank you very much sir.
I'm glad this helped.

I'm a bit of on a stand still these days, cant work much on the car but I stilll manage to get a few things going like my starter that I took apart a few times to find out that it was working just fine, all it needed was a good fully charged battery LOL
Planing a few other things like the ignition I want to use etc.

Comments like these encourage me to get going again, LOL

If you need any other pics of how the birdcage sits on the frame let me know.

Maybe I should make a separate thread for the birdcage repairs.

Last edited:
thanks for the offer for additional photos, i think your work is awesome and heres some motivation for you....6 yrs worth, its ok to take a break...

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/well-getting-ready-get-serious-37-a-84877.html

I think I saw that thread before.

I will certainly go thru it again .
It's not the will to keep going, it's a bit of financial thing, the Vette is at the very bottom of the list of things to do. LOL

after all, it's a hobby and I'm in no rush.
A break doesnt mean it wont be finished.
thanks

...Maybe I should make a separate thread for the birdcage repairs.

i definitely think you should do this and title it C3 Birdcage repairs, i searched the internet to find info on this and i can tell you that your documentation and practical application of cut and fit parts is by far the most comprehensive and complete rebuilding of a birdcage out there. to alot of people they are lost in how to bend metal and breaking it down to small parts is helpful. i bend metal all the time and i picked up something from your thread that i had never done before, that was with the small 90* brace on the #2 vertical support that had the crease in the middle of it. you used a radiused piece to duplicate that, i always did that type of support braces with straignt pieces and just kept adding metal to get it round, i like your way more.

also you can use the "multi quote" option to get all your photos and links in the correct format and then "copy" that from the "reply to thread" window in to a Word or Word perfect document so you can edit it and then copy and paste back into the new thread. that way you dont lose all your work if the system goes down in the middle of a lenghty explanation.

Well after a couples of months of walking around the garage like a zombie because I cant touch anything, my right hand doesnt work and I cant get my left arm too high and not for long,

I finaly got fed up of watching Stacey Davis , wheelers dealer's etc, videos on the internet , I finaly did somekind of "work" on the Vette!!!

Actually it took me a good chunk of the day because I worked for about 5 minutes at a time it hurts too damn much. LOL

Last week end I asked my kids to move a few things in the garage.
I set it up so I could start up a few things, like clean up the under body etc.

Soo heres the bit of work done today.

1804febd05c69cc2.jpg
1804febd05c8f247.jpg

Oh and I couldnt resist turning the wrench again, took the 4 bolts of the carb and installed it.

1804febd05ca5daa.jpg

Not much, but damn satisfying.

You need a FASTER recovery !!!!:club::club::club:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EEzBNn48g[/ame]

Had nothing to do today and since I cant order parts (not before a few weeks anyway) I decided to play a bit.

First I turned the engine so number 1 is at combustion TDC - 10*

I took the old dizzy and changed the points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, coil and installed it on the engine.

I'll check the dwell and timing later.

Still need to install the exhausts, (temp) the gas pump, hook up the rad. bring up the dash and hook up the oil pressure and RPM gauges etc.

Not much but not bad considering I have only one hand at least it's getting a bit closer to start up.

Oh I also primed the engine, I'll prime it properly again before start up.

1804ff4d9bdd1e2b.jpg

After the engine is started and everything lines up.

I'll tear the frame down, recheck the welds order the few missing parts and send the frame and birdcage to powder coat.
Then I start on reassembling the body.

Last edited:
thats a good looking engine...has your wife ever heard SBC with out an exhaust? that would be fun to see if she hasnt....looks good , bob