Michel's 72 coupe rebuild

thats a good looking engine...has your wife ever heard SBC with out an exhaust? that would be fun to see if she hasnt....looks good , bob

If you knew them both you wouldn't be able tell who's the biggest petrolhead.:wink:

Last edited:
thats a good looking engine...has your wife ever heard SBC with out an exhaust? that would be fun to see if she hasnt....looks good , bob

I you knew them both you wouldn't be able tell who's the biggest petrolhead.:wink:

Denis, Jo just read your comment, she had a good laugh, LOL

Thanks Bob, trust me on this one, she doesnt care how loud this thing is going to be.

Her Harley is much louder than mine and if she could (not get in trouble), it would be straight pipes...

when I bought my sidepipes back in 2005 I could not make up my mind on the mufflers so I thought it's a good idea to driveit without mufflers just to see how loud it is.... stupid me..... I set off all of my neighbor's car alarms LOL

yeah, adding mufflers is a good idea :thumbs:

Sooo Fastphil came home today to help me.
We had a good day preparing the engine for startup.

First, we got that used dizzy that we turned into a oil primer,
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8466

As I was seeking the local scrapyards for a used dizzy or trying to buy a oil primer I realized that nobody knew what I was talking about.

So I did a separate thread in the tool forum, to show how easy it is to make this tool.
I know a lot of people have those in theyr tool box.

Then we installed the gas pump and as I expected, because of the frame gussets I welded, it's a very tight fit.

1804ff8ec20160c2.jpg

I knew that when I made the gussets and the options are
1: install a gas pump that is smaller than the original,
2: install electric gas pump.
3: cut thee gusset and adjust the space for the pump.
we'll see later, the original fits for the startup.

Water pump also had an issue, the pulley was slightly rubbing on the pump, but with a bit of persuation (grinder) everything fits just right.

1804ff8ec2063ec4.jpg
1804ff8ec2084a2d.jpg

Then we brought up the gauge cluster to install the oil pressure gauge
1804ff8ec2041fd8.jpg

Soo not much but a bit closer......

Tomorow I'll get a few things, hoses clips belts etc

Last edited:
Indeed it was a productive day, although not the kind of productivity that is actually visible... Visually, the engine grew a rad fan, and lost a distributor and its wiring. But we got a pretty good idea of what needs to be done tomorrow (and/or any other day before we start the engine). We're still on the fence about putting the mufflers on for the startup. We're now thinking it's gonna be scary loud, so maybe we should err on the side of caution, although it's gonna create some more work for us.

We'll see what happens.

I happened to pass by Summit Racing in McDonough, GA the other day (one of the perks of being a long-haul truck driver), and I picked up some of the remaining necessities to get Michel's engine running.

I picked up a new Summit 110 gph mechanical fuel pump to replace the stocker we mounted last weekend. The stocker is a tight fit with one of the plates Michel welded to the frame, and the new pump isn't as tall. That, plus the added flow, made it an almost-necessary upgrade. Anything else would have been a step in the wrong direction. I also picked up some fittings to adapt the new pump's threaded fittings to the temporary rubber fuel lines we're going to use to get the engine running.

I also picked up a cheapo chromed dipstick because Michel seems to have misplaced the original one somewhere in the garage. I'm sure I'll find it immediately after we install the new one.

Nearly inconsequential in the bigger picture, I also bought a new coolant bypass hose. That's the one that goes from the front of the intake manifold and bends down 90 degrees into the top of the water pump. We had jury rigged a regular straight hose that makes a loop upwards to keep it from kinking, but we were afraid air might accumulate there and cause problems. At $5, the new hose with the 90 degree bend is cheap insurance.

Last weekend we also went to the parts store to get a thermostat and a V-belt for the water pump. It seems V-belts for cars have gone the way of the dinosaur, so we walked to the other end of the store and grabbed one intended for a lawn mower or snow blower or some other small appliance. We knew what length we needed, so we chose it and the next size up. Good thing we did because we ended up needing the next size up, which was 33 inches. The thermostat is a 160 degree unit. We chose a sooner-opening version to keep the engine from running too hot while we break in the cam.

There may be a couple more loose items that we need, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting blindingly bright now. I can't wait!

Last weekend we also went to the parts store to get a thermostat and a V-belt for the water pump. It seems V-belts for cars have gone the way of the dinosaur, so we walked to the other end of the store and grabbed one intended for a lawn mower or snow blower or some other small appliance.
Dorval autopart has tons of belts, but is not open on weekend.

I you knew them both you wouldn't be able tell who's the biggest petrolhead.:wink:

Thanks Bob, trust me on this one, she doesnt care how loud this thing is going to be.

Her Harley is much louder than mine and if she could (not get in trouble), it would be straight pipes...

wow then you have a keeper for sure!!!

wow then you have a keeper for sure!!!

Little story about Jo.

Everyone around us knows how she's a serious Mustang maniac, she has a 95 GT and just love Fastphil's Cobra.

Of course, for years, I've been trying to interest her into Corvettes.

Last time we were in Vegas, GM had a promotion in one of the hotels parking lot where you could take GM products around a track.

They had a few Cadillac CTS-V, Solstice, couple of Hummers and a fleet of C6 Corvettes.
We took 2 rides each around the short track, 1rst and second gears only BUT.

As she got out of her first lap, even if she claimed that she wasnt "impressed", she just couldnt get the silly grin off her face!

She said "the hell with shifting on such a short track, I stayed in first gear and red lined the damn thing all the way, IT sounded better that way!''

Last week, as we were at our friday night hotrod gathering, she started to ask what was the difference between C5 and C6.

Sat in one of my friend's C5 vert, a 24 hrs blue LeMans edition and liked it

Next thing she tells me, "well, IF we are going to buy one... it has to be manual and a convertible"

Hummm, A keeper allright LOL

Lucky bastards, my second ex, the kids mom, TOTALLY HATED my '73 Grandville convertible, for a 5500 lbs tank, it ran ok, taught the kids to wear seatbelts in it....:hissyfit: got nothing but grief over that car from her,

Wife here now, is tolerant of the vette, cause she knows it not going anywhere, and it predates HER, so I bought her a '91 Miata so she can have fun in decent weather....:yahoo:

Lucky bastards, my second ex, the kids mom, TOTALLY HATED my '73 Grandville convertible, for a 5500 lbs tank, it ran ok, taught the kids to wear seatbelts in it....:hissyfit: got nothing but grief over that car from her,

Wife here now, is tolerant of the vette, cause she knows it not going anywhere, and it predates HER, so I bought her a '91 Miata so she can have fun in decent weather....:yahoo:

my wife, before we were married, went with me to a car show (second date) and decided she liked a C6 Z06, blue the best at the car show (kind of sad, though, since my car was also entered in the same show). I decided she had taste at that moment. The Spider, is going to be that same blue.

As for Miatas, it's nice that you have such a friendly car :)