fluorescent bulbs T-8 or T-12?

redvetracr

just bought a new 48" fixture for the garage, it accepts T-12 and the new T-8 bulbs which is better? I don`t care about operating cost, I just want the most light and the longest life? thanks in advance!

T8s generally use less energy but put out slightly more lumens. So, more light, less energy but compare the lumen rating to be sure you're getting a brighter bulb. Another selling point for T8s is lumen decay. All fluorescent bulbs lose brightness over time but T8s will lose it more slowly than T12s. I've forgotten the percentages but if I remember correctly, T8s lose brightness at about 1/2 the rate of T12s. So, if T12 loses 20% by the end of its life, an equivalent T8 would lose only 10%.

Color choice can impact brightness levels (or at least perceived brightness). Bulbs come in various "temperatures" such as cool white (standard fluorescent), warm white (more like an incandescent), and daylight (same color as the mid-day sun). Daylight will give you truer colors and would be my choice for the garage.

DC

I am NOT sure about this, BUT, seems I heard that you have to change the ballast transformer to run the new style bulbs......please don't take this to heart....it's scuttlebutt.....:shocking:

48" fixture and bulbs ?? is this a flourescent tube fixture?

I got three tube fixtures in the garage, installed them in 2006 or so, pretty much daily use and have not changed a tube since then..... HomeDepot cheapo deal..... :D:D

I am NOT sure about this, BUT, seems I heard that you have to change the ballast transformer to run the new style bulbs......please don't take this to heart....it's scuttlebutt...

Depends.

You can run T8 bulbs on a T12 ballast but it will shorten the life of the bulbs. You can run a T12 bulb on a T8 ballast but it will shorten the life of the ballast. There are sometimes incompatibilities with the way the end caps (where the bulbs plug in) are wired.

There are some newer ballasts that are designed to handle both types of bulbs. I assume this is what redvetracr has since he says the fixture will accept both types of bulbs. It is always best to read the nameplate on the ballast and go by what it says.

DC