Flood damage to some parts

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
How's everyone doing? I haven't been around much since I haven't touched the vette in over a year. Not by choice, life always finds a way to get in the way. A lot has happened, but I digress...

I was somewhat fortunate with this Hurricane Sandy. How have you all made out? :rain:

I was about 1000 ft north of the mandatory evacuation zone in my town of Lindenhurst here on LI. Well, that 1000 feet flooded quick! I have a creek in my back yard that typically floods during storms, but this one took the cake. I never expected this--no one did--and we had unprecedented flooding. Both my neighbors had roughly 2 feet of water in their house. Luckily, my house is built higher up and further from the creek. We had no flooding in the house, but the water got into my sheds. Guess what was in there that I never thought would need to be worried about? You guessed it: my vette parts...

My main storage of vette parts was closest to the creek. I had 3 feet of water in there. The other sheds had roughly 1 to 1.5 ft in them. Lost a few things, saved some others but here is a list of things that were flooded that I feel may now be trash.
What do you guys think?

-Original engine and trans. Almost completely submerged in salty water. Forced a bunch of oil out. I was saving it if I ever wanted the car to go back to stock. Is this a total loss now?

-Two Autometer electronic gauges. Never used, fully submerged to the point the faces were full. I just dried these out today ( just found them like this). Toast right?

-Original tach and speedo. Fully submerged.

-Rear brake calipers. Fell into the water. Apparently tires aren't a stable platform when they float. There is brake fluid inside, but not sure how much salty water made it in, if any.

-driveshaft and half shafts. I needed to replace the U joints anyway so the rest should be fine right?

I think that's it for the questionable stuff. I lost a lot more that was clearly junk.

One final question: since I don't have rear brakes and the car is on Quicklift (requires me to roll the car off on an angle to remove), can I safely rely on the front brakes with the rear lines open to atmosphere to hold the car in place on a roughly 10 degree angle? Should I just install the rear calipers, just to get it off the lift? I want to get the vette off the lift before winter and finally in the garage, but I won't have the funds to get new calipers before then. My only other method is using many guys and many wheel chocks. Not an easy task, these days.

Thanks for the help, as always.

-Original engine and trans. Almost completely submerged in salty water. Forced a bunch of oil out. I was saving it if I ever wanted the car to go back to stock. Is this a total loss now?

Pop the heads off, dry out, recoat with oil to keep from rusting.... blast the rest of the motor with WD40 (inside)

-Two Autometer electronic gauges.
Probably toast

-Original tach and speedo. Fully submerged.

dry the contacts for the lights on the back of the gauges, pull the plastic face off, let dry.... tach, you'll probably need a new board

-Rear brake calipers. Fell into the water.
probably fine as long as you dry them off
-driveshaft and half shafts. I needed to replace the U joints anyway so the rest should be fine right?
driveshafts/half shafts - fine

One final question: since I don't have rear brakes and the car is on Quicklift (requires me to roll the car off on an angle to remove), can I safely rely on the front brakes with the rear lines open to atmosphere to hold the car in place on a roughly 10 degree angle? Should I just install the rear calipers, just to get it off the lift? I want to get the vette off the lift before winter and finally in the garage, but I won't have the funds to get new calipers before then. My only other method is using many guys and many wheel chocks. Not an easy task, these days.

I'd put the rear calipers on, and bleed brake fluid through them
That said, your front calipers should be more than adequate to hold the car as you roll it off - keep in mind that if there is fluid in the back lines, it will blow out.

My Corvette was probably submerged as well, but not salt water.... as with anything, dry them off, re-oil anything that is bare metal - to keep the rust at bay

glad it wasn't worst

Thanks guys. I'm surprised, but happy to hear about the engine. I hope that's all it needs.

I figured the Autometers would be toast. Not expensive, but very annoying.

That's great with the brakes! I figured they were gonners. I'm glad I asked.

I will bleed the brakes since the calipers seem to be fine. At least they can get me off the lift.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse as well. Luckily, the vette itself is 20" off the ground at one of the highest points on my property. I had more wind damage done to the cover more than anything.

Thanks guys. I'm surprised, but happy to hear about the engine. I hope that's all it needs.

I will bleed the brakes since the calipers seem to be fine. At least they can get me off the lift.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse as well. Luckily, the vette itself is 20" off the ground at one of the highest points on my property. I had more wind damage done to the cover more than anything.

BUT you gotta get to the engine NOW, not tmrw, not next week, only take you 30 minits to tear it down, and run some WD40 through it assuming you have impacts......

drop that pan too, gotta wash that lower end down too,

Well the issue right now is that I don't have the tools to lift it and get any sort of access. I lend out my cherry picker and I'm not sure when I'll get it back. The engine/trans are sitting on a tire since I had to use my storage stand on the new engine temporarily, but lent the hoist before I could switch back. I'll just have to make a bigger case to get the hoist back.

I'm already pissed that I figured out this late, just how much water covered the damn engine.

BUT you gotta get to the engine NOW, not tmrw, not next week, only take you 30 minits to tear it down, and run some WD40 through it assuming you have impacts......

yep, no waiting... not sure why you need a cherry picker, draining the pan can be done where it sits - and if you're really good, water is heavier than oil so pulling the plug and draining the water could be done without much oil spillage (pull the plug, put it back when oil starts coming out) A little water in the bottom of the pan is probably safe until you can actually completely drain the oil pan.

yep, no waiting... not sure why you need a cherry picker, draining the pan can be done where it sits - and if you're really good, water is heavier than oil so pulling the plug and draining the water could be done without much oil spillage (pull the plug, put it back when oil starts coming out) A little water in the bottom of the pan is probably safe until you can actually completely drain the oil pan.

No, I really can't this tire covers the whole bottom of the engine. I don't even think it gives access to the spark plugs. I'm hoping to get the hoist very soon.

pull the heads, pull the transmission and roll the motor over...

You need to do it now because if you wait you'll have rust, then the motor will seize solid.
If there is rust, the motor has to be rebuilt.... even if there is rust, though, you still need to get it dry because if water rests in the cylinder too long, you'll have to sleeve the motor when its rebuilt.

I thought I could post two pictures of a couple Buick motors I've got which people left too long (one the guy "thought" it was dry, the other, well, I knew it wasn't and I got it for a mockup motor to build the exhaust and intake manifolds for a turbo project that I'm doing)... but alas, I don't have the pictures readily accessible...

Hey it's all good. I completely understand time is of the essence. I fear the worst already. I should be able to pull the heads with the tire there. At the very least, I'll do this until I can get the hoist.

I've thinking of getting rid of it for some time now. This may have sealed the deal, however, I didn't want it to go like this.

Hey it's all good. I completely understand time is of the essence. I fear the worst already. I should be able to pull the heads with the tire there. At the very least, I'll do this until I can get the hoist.

I've thinking of getting rid of it for some time now. This may have sealed the deal, however, I didn't want it to go like this.

Eh....well, screw it, at least you apparently have a house left.....some of your 'neighbors' not so lucky.....I bet the ex wife's old family house in Sayville right off a creek to South Bay, has been killed, they used to keep their sailboat right there in the back yard, in the water....:amazed::banned: they sold and moved many years ago, but it WAS a nice place.....:amazed:

Eh....well, screw it, at least you apparently have a house left.....some of your 'neighbors' not so lucky.....I bet the ex wife's old family house in Sayville right off a creek to South Bay, has been killed, they used to keep their sailboat right there in the back yard, in the water....:amazed::banned: they sold and moved many years ago, but it WAS a nice place.....:amazed:

I am VERY lucky. I don't have flood insurance. The creek--all of 10 feet wide and less than a foot deep--is about 400 feet from the house. At the peak of high tide, the creek touched the foundation! It also came half way up my driveways. That equates to about 8" to a foot, minimum, in my street.

We never saw this here. Even my neighbors, who have been in their house since it was built in the mid 60's, never saw this before. We were fortunate it was not any worse. I figured at worse an 1" or so in my furthest shed, and lifted all important stuff off the floor at least a foot to be safe...not safe enough.

I just spoke to my friend that has the lift. He should be dropping it off tomorrow. Tonight, I should have some time to pull the heads and intake and spray her down. Good thing I bought a gallon of WD40 6 or so months ago. I'm going to need it! I don't think I'll like what I see. It's been a long time since the flood...3 weeks today.

So what's a good scrap price these days? Maybe I should make a good coffee table out of it? :nuts:

I am VERY lucky. I don't have flood insurance. The creek--all of 10 feet wide and less than a foot deep--is about 400 feet from the house. At the peak of high tide, the creek touched the foundation! It also came half way up my driveways. That equates to about 8" to a foot, minimum, in my street.

We never saw this here. Even my neighbors, who have been in their house since it was built in the mid 60's, never saw this before. We were fortunate it was not any worse. I figured at worse an 1" or so in my furthest shed, and lifted all important stuff off the floor at least a foot to be safe...not safe enough.

I just spoke to my friend that has the lift. He should be dropping it off tomorrow. Tonight, I should have some time to pull the heads and intake and spray her down. Good thing I bought a gallon of WD40 6 or so months ago. I'm going to need it! I don't think I'll like what I see. It's been a long time since the flood...3 weeks today.

So what's a good scrap price these days? Maybe I should make a good coffee table out of it? :nuts:

When my dad's shop flooded, several of the motors that got submerged came out cleaner than they'd ever been this side of the production floor.... as long as you dry it before the deep rust happens - it can easily be remachined and rebuilt... so no, don't scrap the block.... as for the rest of it (pistons, crank, cam, rods, heads) I probably would because then you only need a handtruck to move the block.

Whether or not we live long enough to see the value of our 75 Corvettes get to the point where "numbers matching" is of value is a good question.... honestly, the best thing I'd ever see - 20 years after I sell my 'vette someone, in the loafer crowd, complaining about how I "bubba'd" this Corvette and his trials and tribulations to "unbubba" it.... that would be just cool :thankyou:

When my dad's shop flooded, several of the motors that got submerged came out cleaner than they'd ever been this side of the production floor.... as long as you dry it before the deep rust happens - it can easily be remachined and rebuilt... so no, don't scrap the block.... as for the rest of it (pistons, crank, cam, rods, heads) I probably would because then you only need a handtruck to move the block.

Whether or not we live long enough to see the value of our 75 Corvettes get to the point where "numbers matching" is of value is a good question.... honestly, the best thing I'd ever see - 20 years after I sell my 'vette someone, in the loafer crowd, complaining about how I "bubba'd" this Corvette and his trials and tribulations to "unbubba" it.... that would be just cool :thankyou:

I have posted about this before, can't remember which forum, or know who read what......so here goes again, years ago a buddy had a Ford V8 club winner he restored to perfection, collected his awards and so the car sat for some years in his garage, he paid 13k for the car, sold it for 15k.....I was telling him at the time to make a hotrod out of it, steel body rods were going for 50k + at the time, reason why?? all the guys who wanted one when new, are not in the market anymore....this being during the 80's....same shit going to take place with any 'collector' car.....so IMO, I made my vette the way ****I ***** like it, let my son worry over it's eventual value....ASSuming it's even driveable the way this nation is heading....:friends:

Well I was keeping the engine and trans just in case I either chickened out with the swap or sold the car to keep it's 'value' higher (I bought a base engine '75 coupe for its uncollectability so I could hack it and no one would shed a tear). You only get one original block, what was suggested to me. But the engine and trans have about 110K on the clock and could use some work. Figured who ever owned the engine would want to rebuild it fresh anyway. Looks like they'll have to anyway!

And I think watching someone go through this when I'm done would be interesting. I don't think I did anything bubba'd, I wouldn't allow that, but I'm confident things could be done cleaner and better.

And my comment about scrap was just tongue and cheek, but I will be storing it better from now on. Maybe I'll even put plastic over it :lol:

I have posted about this before, can't remember which forum, or know who read what......so here goes again, years ago a buddy had a Ford V8 club winner he restored to perfection, collected his awards and so the car sat for some years in his garage, he paid 13k for the car, sold it for 15k.....I was telling him at the time to make a hotrod out of it, steel body rods were going for 50k + at the time, reason why?? all the guys who wanted one when new, are not in the market anymore....this being during the 80's....same shit going to take place with any 'collector' car.....so IMO, I made my vette the way ****I ***** like it, let my son worry over it's eventual value....ASSuming it's even driveable the way this nation is heading....:friends:

I plan on doing the same. By the time I finish it--in 40 years--it will hopefully be my perfect little dream. I don't think others will see it that way, however :crutches:

I've been highlighting my build here - but here's the more complete version
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showthread.php/33335-1975-Plastic-fantastic-aka-Corvette

I don't post my builds on corvetteforum, because there are people there who think a stock 75 is the only way to go (or even worse, a 305 powered California 81). Maybe that's kind of the key, though, I've driven stock 74-81 Corvettes and thought they were poor handling dogs - so anything done to make them faster/better was a good thing.

Not to mention, somewhere out there is a 1 ton flat bed with a 454 from a stone-stock, numbers matching 4 speed 74 Corvette where I pulled the motor (it was absolutely the best performance thing I could have ever done for it as I replaced it with a 12.5:1 327 with all the good stuff)... needless to say, I don't fit in at CF :) but I mention this because I'm a bit biased

I've been highlighting my build here - but here's the more complete version
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showthread.php/33335-1975-Plastic-fantastic-aka-Corvette

I don't post my builds on corvetteforum, because there are people there who think a stock 75 is the only way to go (or even worse, a 305 powered California 81). Maybe that's kind of the key, though, I've driven stock 74-81 Corvettes and thought they were poor handling dogs - so anything done to make them faster/better was a good thing.

Not to mention, somewhere out there is a 1 ton flat bed with a 454 from a stone-stock, numbers matching 4 speed 74 Corvette where I pulled the motor (it was absolutely the best performance thing I could have ever done for it as I replaced it with a 12.5:1 327 with all the good stuff)... needless to say, I don't fit in at CF :) but I mention this because I'm a bit biased

I never documented my build there either for the same reasons. Honestly, the only reason I frequent the forum at all is for the LSx thread, but even that has sort of died off.

After I changed the suspension in this thing, it actually felt alive. No way a stock suspension would have ever felt this way. Stock can be good, but it isn't for everyone. I stand by that.

And that 327 must have screamed!

Back on topic for a sec...
So I dove into the engine last night around 10pm when I finally had a free moment. I wasn't too happy with what I saw...

Just valve covers off, sitting on the tire. See what I mean about no access to the pan?

IMG_20121119_215902.jpg

IMG_20121119_215852.jpg

IMG_20121119_220607.jpg

IMG_20121119_215911.jpg

Not looking good!

IMG_20121119_221313.jpg

After I pulled the first header, this came out:

IMG_20121119_220559.jpg

And the bad news....

IMG_20121119_222756.jpg

IMG_20121119_222804.jpg

IMG_20121119_222902.jpg

IMG_20121119_224749.jpg

IMG_20121119_224744.jpg

I fogged the shit out of her with WD40 and shot 5w30 around the rings from an oil gun. Much better, but we're not out of the woods. Hopefully, I can lift her out of the tire and drain/drop the pan and continue down my fogging path.

I presumed (dumb of me) that it was an automatic behind the motor... ummm, forget the 350, drain the transmission, pull its side cover and get it as dry as possible.... fortunately with manual transmissions, there are fewer bare surfaces to rust.

Still, looks like you caught it soon enough. the 455 I had, was inside for awhile before I bought it, but had water in it when I pulled it apart

What's an "automatic"? :confused: I do not know of such things...

Yes, the transmission is next. I don't know if the side cover is 100% clear. I'm hoping since the slip yoke was in place, I should have very little water in it. Regardless, I'll put the bitch and drain her. I think I'll find a cheap engine stand on CL and put her up a little higher. I can throw the trans on a shelf.

Back in the 70s, I probably bought at least 50 flood cars at different times thru insurance auctions. Typically, the time period was at the earliest 45 days on these vehicles, from the time they were flooded until I had them in my hot little hands.
Every one I ever bought ended up running properly with virtually no downsides. Several, I sold to friends, so I did have a history to follow up on.

Normally, I would drain the fluids, fill the engines with diesel fuel to the top including valve covers, remove the spark plugs, turn over to expel any water. then run them until hot and change oil again.
Never had to take any apart. When I flushed them, since water is heaviest,it all runs down into the pan and is drained first there. Then running them till hot took care of the rest of it.
Same with all transmissions, just drain and fill to the very top, don't even have to run them immediately, they can just be stored that way.

I'm sure they lost a little longevity, but it was not evidenced by the ones I was able to keep track of.

What I see in the posted pictures is no big deal to me. :yahoo: