Engine upgrade for Blue Angel 69 (part II)

Well, It's starting to come together in spite of the frigid cold weather up there in St. Louis. I'm starting to get bored down here in Florida and wanting to get back and finish the build. I'll wait until it warms up a little...... -9 degrees this morning I hear. I'll be content to let progress muddle along for now :crylol:

We opted for the Super Victor intake. It's not an EFI intake but we will machine it for the shorty injectors angled in about 15 degrees so as to provide for a more direct spray on the intake valves. A low profile fuel rail will need to clear the custom drop base needed to seal to the L-88 Hood chamber. An Accel 4500 series Low profile Throttle body, 2000 cfm is planned.

1752f574fbc68c0.jpg

Last edited:
Getting closer!! Got the Intake drilled and Injector bungs welded in. Angled 15 degrees so they inject onto valve and also more compact top end. Decided to go with the ultra low profile High Flow 4500 Style 4 Barrel Throttle body from FAST. Hopfully we can get the engine on the Dyno in a couple of weeks. Took delivery of a Tremec TKO 600 so its time to start pulling the old school engine and transmission out of the car. Donnie's got his car off to the paint shop so we have an open widow at the hanger. :bump:

175353c47d0ec97.jpg

175353ca9272338.jpg
175353ca91ccfff.jpg
175353ca91a10bb.jpg
175353ca924c5a6.jpg
175353ca9226430.jpg
175353ca91f398a.jpg

Yours is a whole lot prettier but here is a pix of the one I did in my garage long about '92 or so.....I had the pads TIG'd in place and drilled.....

this fit on a Pontiac 455, the water passage section was separated off for ease of install/mods....and lost over the years.....

:smash::trumpet:

Attachments

• pontiac injection 008 - Copy.JPG
    pontiac injection 008 - Copy.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 22
Big Block Removed

We got the old Big Block 427 and driveline removed with out dropping or damaging anything. Now waiting on the engine builder. BlueAngelEngineRemoval1_zps629781a3-1.jpg
BlueAngelBBC_zps3247994b.jpg

A question on the table!! Should I paint the engine block and heads an electron blue color or leave it unpainted aluminum?. Pro's and cons to either I think? Whats do you guys think?

Natural finish. Anything else makes an aluminum engine look like a poser showcar engine.

JMO

Damn, Didn't think of that "Con"!! Poser is the last thing I want to be called..... well almost the last. :suicide: :waxer:
With Marine engines, we have to paint them or they really turn to shit.

Natural finish. Anything else makes an aluminum engine look like a poser showcar engine.

JMO

Damn, Didn't think of that "Con"!! Poser is the last thing I want to be called..... well almost the last. :suicide: :waxer:
With Marine engines, we have to paint them or they really turn to shit.

Man you not kidding, a buddy with a AFB on his 350 chebby in a ~24' boat has storage problems, I told him to take the carb off every year, tape up the intake with duck tape, put a hunk of plywood on it, and weight with a brick, the carb went ONE year and almost destroyed over the winter....:surrender:

Poser Bob

OK guys, I guess I have a new handle.... Poser Bob. :smash::D

After much pontification, I opted to paint. I'm not much for keeping the engine bays clean so Urethane paint seemed the way to go. RamJet is already showing signs of oxidation. This should stay fresh for a longer time and be easy to clean with high detergent solution and rinse with vinegar treated water.
Besides that I can tell all that its an old iron block out of a bus. :lol: Sleeper so to speak.

1753619bb367293.jpg
1753619bb414a18.jpg

We trial fitted the Jones accessory kit today. I really like how compact and sturdy it looks.

1753619da0f2c0a.jpg