Cooling fan question

Sam Cogley

My '77 currently has one of the legendary mid-90s Lincoln Mk. VIII fans installed, driven by a DC Controls variable-speed module. However, I trimmed the shroud a bit too much and the blade touches the radiator on the higher speed setting (which it never sees unless I trip the override switch, I have yet to re-install the A/C). I have a second, untrimmed Mk. VIII fan sitting around waiting to be installed, but today at the Pick-N-Pull that just opened in Springfield, I found a very interesting electric fan in a Lincoln Town Car. Overall, it's just about as big, has just about as many electrical doo-dads, and has the same basic 4.6L modular V8 as the Mk. VIII. The Mk. VIII has some more power output due to a lot of fancy go-fast parts on top of the block.

Anyway, the Town Car fan is the same 18" size as the Mk. VIII part, but with a different (larger) motor housing and somewhat different blades. Most interestingly, the shroud is angled instead of straight. In the original application, the wide part was mounted at the top so the fan was blowing downward, but turned over it looks like it will be a pretty close match for the C3's original mechanical shroud, and bring the fan blades much closer to perpendicular with the ground.

Is anyone familiar with this fan? Considering the similarities in the donor vehicles, I can't imagine that it flows much less air than the Mk. VIII fan, but I can't find much in the way of specs online. Worthy of note, it appears to use the same connector and triple 12-ga. wiring harness that was used on the Mk. VIII. I can't imagine Ford would have wasted that much money on wire unless the motor pulls some serious amperage. We're talking about the company that set Mustang dashboards on fire because they figured that no one would ever drive around with their fog lights on all the time.