Buinicorn

SuperBuickGuy

I always wanted a flat top wagon.... thought I found a non-rusty one - it was, it wasn't rusted in the normal spots.... and it had been hit in the right rear

I'll give background next post but here's where I'm at
Did I say this was a solid car? well, it is now
1xmuVXmh.jpg
9zL4DIrh.jpg
zjIfmUnh.jpg
9zL4DIrh.jpg

so time to take it even further apart.... the driver's side doors haven't been removed - and the rear left doors ... well, they fought.edited
if you're counting, only one of these came off as intended
ufsRajbh.jpg
I love heat
bfCaLX0h.jpg
I win
w6rGPtMh.jpg
zpzxL7Ph.jpg

I need to strip the rest of the shell.edited do some minor clearancing, fix a couple small spots then get to coating

Last edited:
more coloring in the lines
a box
ZBrdfoih.jpg
looks like another warranty is going to get its feelings hurt
47sLfTYh.jpg
for those wondering... the 64 Buick support is different than the Chevelle
aH1mMnEh.jpg
now it fits
eBjFbooh.jpg
B0bGPCIh.jpg

in other news, starter is bolted in and the converter is as well
vJJrgJWh.jpg

and revisit something... where the dark spot I heated to fix oil canning.... it worked! I really didn't get it that warm.. ~ 200 degrees, maybe... I put a block behind then heated it briefly... worked great
​​​​​​​csk6kJ8h.jpg

I bought this car 3 years ago for $200 and a set of S10 v8 conversion headers... no title, and on a whim - leaving a swap meet, had been looking for a flat top wagon (I'm not a fan of the skylights) - and they are rare.
7u1m3Xth.jpg
other than surface rust and a bit of mud in the quarter... it seemed solid in all its normal 'rust' places... yeah, oops
TUmMbwKh.jpg
T4EcYQxh.jpg
what really drew me to this car was the radio-delete... this was as bare-bones as you could probably buy a Buick then.... no power steering, no power brakes, just a 300/automatic (and the 300 was MIA)
dXSk9B8h.jpg
tFqSYL7h.jpg

what I didn't know was this car had a reputation for taking people's money. It's got 4.10 rear gear and drag-studs.... that said that is the plan for it

initially, I bought a GNX "hot air" motor for it but mostly because it was $400, came with the 200r4 and the quick ratio steering box (the car was really, really rusted).... that said, technology has really done a lot with the 3.8 - and eventually, that will find a home in it.... but I had a 6.0 LS from a Denali and figured it'd be a cheaper/quicker way to make this run

2 years I got the title by tracking down the owner 2 owners prior.... who is a pastor. This is interesting because the pastor who baptized me drove stripper cars and carried tools in the back to help people. He was a legend at buying the loss-leader from a dealership - which were usually cars with the same spec as this car. He would, after that deal was done tell them he'd like to buy another same-car for his wife, but this was the going-to-church car so he wanted ALL the bells and whistles. What's funny is he'd get that car for a loss too.... weirdest part was even though the dealership lost money on both cars, they'd visit his church... and laugh about how well he did. It really is a gift.

I'm not much into slow cars, so my goal here is "nothing to see here, just an old guy in an old wagon" .... who just blew by you so fast that it turned your Lambo inside out. It will be sliver/red interior... and honestly look about the same as when it arrived.... it will have a/c because Buick... but this motor is the stocker that I'll pull once it's on the road to replace with something in the neighborhood of a 1000-1500 hp 3800 V6... nothing to see here, just some big/old/wagon.

outside of today's shenanigans with my FJ40,edited I hooked up the fitech timing control.... almost burned my truck down twice, but now it works fine....

I did other things
first was get the steering column out ... that was a lot more pain that I was expecting
mYbpjTvh.jpg
then came the yoyo of up and down to clearance the floor for the 4L80e. I refuse to cut and add metal... so I heated and banged
mP6HwERh.jpg
BYeBOPKh.jpg
banging, round 2
AzzdEDHh.jpg
round 3 (keep in mind, up and down)
ft4sKKdh.jpg
what needs clearance - the cooler fittings
OTtgSinh.jpg
and took the wiper box off the firewall (it is seized solid)
uF52gSxh.jpg

new tool.edited do I recommend? maybe.edited It's about as powerful as an air die grinder - the straight kind.edited So it is useful, but keep in mind I punched one hole with it and did the rest with my larger Makita..... which is dying because I use it to smoke coming out - and it keeps working but the writing is on the wall for it (and my Makita sawzall)

ikA7Pb1h.jpg

these were done with the Makita - this is the rear-most mounts on the car and both were rusted solid - so no choice but to cut replace the nuts and weld back (when I get my nuts)
Qs60nTXh.jpg
fDjww8Jh.jpg
I can't imagine why GM made this nut-holder so complex
NFyweNlh.jpg

this was done with the new tool
TLNogP9h.jpg

finished welding the battery box
Ksa1U6Mh.jpg

the rest of my evening was a fan-favorite wire brush the dirt off the underside
c4NbR5th.jpg
I weighed it, 10 lbs of dirt
2J6I6SNh.jpg

tomorrow a bit more cleaning then likely put the body back on because the motor may be ready for my Corvette.... I need to get it out of the shop because the next parts of the Buick are dirty in both dust and overspray

now that the block has been fully seasoned...
6k9HLSKh.jpg
time to get after it
DEgaRZvh.jpg
HwsvqxAh.jpg
the first step is clean up the block... interestingly this is a 5/8" bore block (oil passage which makes it a 74 and later block)
HQP6mv6h.jpg
and the edges
vTX2WP5h.jpg

so the back story is I need to get these parts in one place (and I may throw the car together enough to drive).... but most importantly, we may be moving soon and the safest way to transport it is together

​​​​​​​

for the next week or so, this gets front burner... I've got to get the floor painted so I can mount the body to the frame....edited
first, remove harness
Ye9FzDZh.jpg
remove frame
nIwi0K4h.jpg
put on Corvette dolly
Xm7Cvbhh.jpg

I also really need to start planning the details... things like power windows and such.... I think I have most of what I need to make it mobile.... but no gauges - if what I use needs dash mods, now would be a pretty good time to do it.... and on and on... very comfortable, fast, fast, car... one I could race if the vehicle I'm towing becomes incapacitated....edited

time to make the safety experts cringe
IazvgBwh.jpg
the goal here is get the sand out (more of the sand), and get the grease off the underside.... this is round 1
pHi99Leh.jpg
vu6bY30h.jpg
also do a bit of spot rust treatment
p13QMqwh.jpg
can't see the difference but a lot better
BkM0oLMh.jpg
while the frame waits for remarriage
H3m30Iyh.jpg

NEyqwfNh.jpg

I know, I know, I should go back to Corvette only content.... but alas, you need to suffer to really appreciate C3 content.
time to set the car in place
3BbKnnLh.jpg
front brackets
07LZfd3h.jpg
assembled
aYuy3SPh.jpg
in the back, I'll use the hinge mounts to hold it
zd7IAuYh.jpg
welded
3kdmRPOh.jpg
it even holds on the back
3kdmRPOh.jpg

ugh, I don't like undercarriages
however, it needed a full wire-wheeling plus washing... so that's what it got....edited

vktty4U.jpg

the owner of the C3 and his wire wheeling endeavors tonight
JW2oXhD.jpg

been kind of busy with other stuff.... but did get the floor welded in
wBrS26T.jpg

Also got the turbo flanges....edited

Tomorrow is track day - so probably no update

Discussion forum, don't worry about it not being a Corvette:) . We're here for the cars.

Wow, big project.

well, 1200 miles, 3 days and a few new things
bsF3vxrh.jpg
we have a new terrorist... cute little bugger, though
the quarter in its wavy glory
tf2zZQDh.jpg
amazing how little effort can really make it a lot better
7vbtKjMh.jpg
just a push
16V57EOh.jpg
also a push here
gFytESUh.jpg
I'm going to pull the skin off but I want to do the fixes while it's still in its 'jig' also have a bit of sill rust repair....

should get the car back in the shop tomorrow night

oh and the other thing, we're moving in 3 weeks 250 miles away... that said, it's an amazing new shop

never think the fender is perfect... it is not
vCjIlwKh.jpg
6dCk8XUh.jpg
I hate doing it, but I'm going to break it down to several components - which means spot weld drilling -
K5RBMFsh.jpg
mostly because it's easier to fix the dents as a single panel - however, the lower lip is really thin - so where I'm drilling out the spot welds will be replaced....
Zg4DWJ8h.jpg
it's remarkable that it was filled with Idaho dirt but not rusted out
t19mo5kh.jpg