windshield bond

[and bedded the stainless down into the RTV eliminating the metal clips, it's sealed tighter than whale pussy now...and that's waterproof..

Shit Gene, I just spit my beer all over the computer screen laughing.

I had a shade tree once install a windshield on my 84 trans am and as you know urethane is used for that window. He used RTV and the window came out. Is that good enough reason why RTV shouldn't be used. RTV will never bond strong enough and in a roll over I pity a fool that used it. Heck when you slam doors on a hot day you can see hatchbacks move imagine what the windshield is doing at that time.

I believe the reason to not put urethane on paint is simple, the paint can lift from the metal for whatever reason and the bond is ruined.

watch some youtube glass installation videos.

As far as using RTV... If you had the choice to make the windshield a structural part of the birdcage, why wouldnt you?

Because it's gonna crack?

Don't know if that was or is the intention with the thickness and design of the glass. The C3 glass has gotten thinner than the older OEM stuff?

does any one sell the old type windshield?

It HAS>> interesting, I would have to call the glass company that supplied my camper glass, that fellow knows more than the commercial outfits....

but that's on Tuesday if anyone really cares, I will call....

:surrender:

[
I keep forgetting about the rust thing. None of my cars have any.:lol:

Yep, So Cal is a paradise. You just need to learn mexican or be mexican.

80* was the high today. 80* for the Rose Parade. Shorts and flip flops in Jan. :)

Wasn't for the FLU I could have done shorts and flip flops also, but at my age it's white socks and sandals....and I don't have to CARE what anyone else thinks, damnit....:twitch::eek:

and guess what? I pay nearly ZERO prop taxes and NO state income tax....

gotta LOVE Disney....

:thumbs::smash:

After the last experience that I just encountered with having a "pro" install my trucks windshield, I will never let a "pro" glass installer near my vehicles again. The installer broke or lost some of the windshield molding clips so rather than replacing them, he decided to fill that part of the windshield channel with windshield urethane and stick the molding back in place. One month later the truck is in the body shop for a repaint and ends up getting the molding ruined and a crack put in the new windshield in the process of trying to remove the molding. All because the jackass glues it on.