wierd brake thing

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
All of a sudden I have noticed that my brakes will fade intermittently. Seems I can go 49 out of 50 stops and the brakes are perfect, but on that 50th stop, the pedal will go to the floor. Once I pump the pedal a couple times the brakes are perfect again, and will be for another 48-49 stops.
Just strange that there is no sponginess to them in between. Hard as a rock, then nothing at all.
Thoughts?

That's weird indeed. Check if the MC is not leaking fluid although if it did one would expect the pedal to be spongy all the time. Maybe a piston is cocking in the bore and or pumping air?

I have found that a set of rotors I had on the rear of my car had been cut, and as such they would grab the pads and push them in/out concentrically forcing against the pins, wearing hell outta the pad tabs, and eventually it got so worn that I was wondering where that clicking sound came from when going slow.....up in the air, remove the wheels, idle/first gear...and it was most obvious, two new rotors/set of pads, done.....it got SO bad that one of the O ring pistons was cocked in the bore.....

also check that switch ...the brass block the brown brake sw wire goes to....that stupid switch section has been known to give weird troubles, as the O ring get old, and it maybe even drip fluid slightly, I just flat removed mine and ran a simple block to the front two lines, like in the rear.....

I"m going to for go any booster mentions on account of I will get stepped on.....

:harhar:

An anecdote, hopefully not a distraction...

On the way to work I was pissed at a colleague who accepted 93% as a benchmark for performance. So I was preparing my riposte asking if he'd accept a 7% failure rate on his brakes?

Then I got to work, read your post and all my anger fell apart. I wish I had your answer but you mangaed to get me thru the anger with my mouth shut. Thanx;)

Any loss of fluid or transfer from one reservoir to the other?
Nothing I can tell. Fluid is still over the transfer slot in the MC. Hasn't lost any. Kind of a mystery at this point. Will dive into it next week.

No problem Steve. Unfortunately, 93% is not acceptable when it comes to braking performance. I suppose if I got 93% of max every time I pushed the pedal, that would be one thing. But 93% of the brake pedal pushes good with a 7% failure rate, well, that's just waiting for the time I'm coming up behind a Lambo or something.