Well hit three wood in a tile shower!

phantomjock

Greetings -- I am Jim. The SUBJECT says it all -- I bounce all over the place!
"Well hit three wood in a tile shower!"

It says introduce yourself -- so here are the stories:

Mine. I've been; an aero engineer, hang glider pilot, USAF fighter pilot, boat builder, autocrosser, liveaboard boatie, and full-time ocean cruiser (last 13 years). Looks like now I'm becomming a grease monkey-car builder!

AND, now the stories blend...

I am a 1978 Original Owner - 350 SBC, 4 speed, non pacecar, suspension - yes. I had it delivered to me in Eurpoe. Back stateside, at 100K miles (1986) I tweaked the suspension, lowered it, chopped front coils, rear monospring, smart struts, poly bushings, just about everything it seems VB&P had in the mid 80s and some VSE bits from Herb too!
I re-engined to better compete in Autocross in NC and later the DC area. At same time, did a complete strip of the factory paint, hand blocked, wet sanded, all seams fixed on the body then topped with a red white and blue paint job. Added fender louvers and a rear whale tail. Then a redo of the interior - (short time with Recaros - later sold at a loss). In 1993 moved to SOCAL - LA and did it all over in Tuxedo Black. Loaned to brother-in-law while sailing in Mexico. He had a major dashboard fire. Miracle he saved the car - but he didn't quite get it back to spec.

Next, I changed out the 4 Speed RockCrusher for a 200R4.

The car has been sitting in a storage condition for over 2 years! I have returned (temporarly to the US from sailing) and am now deep in the middle of a "MAJOR" build effort. Note -- this is not a RESTORE project.

SO, What Now?
First my OBJECTIVES -- thinking DRAG STRIP/AUTOCROSS/Sometime SHOW/DAILY DRIVER-- probably in that order too.

COMPONENTS to meet the OBJECTIVES:

1. CHASSIS/SUSPENSION -- Body is now off frame. So its grind, sand, and clean up. Tomorrow, I POR-15 the Chassis. I may build a 5 - 6 link rear end with coilovers-- hey, what else while its all apart? Been thinking hard about a DIY Rack and Pinion steering. While at the welder, a radiator relocate as a "Laydown." Spreader bar -- definately. I would like to do tube A-Arms -- but can spend the money elsewhere. For weight Reduction -- I am loosing the Battering Ram from the front end - replace with a circle track style "nerf bar" under the nose. Ditto at the rear end -- loosing the rear bumper and weight there too (see BODY). It will be outside though.

2. ENGINE and BAY -- Its a 4 bolt main Circle Track done 60 over, forged/skirted pistons/performer intake and carb. So, I'm pricing out NOS and Aluminum heads, MSD etc. Already got the prelube setup, but still need to make a catch can etc. K&M dual snorkles are on the list too. Electric fans, electric water pump. While the firewall is clear - a new plate will be made and paint too. The factory aircon/heater core is out and gone. Battery will relocate to this space. Might consider a Vintage Air setup-- if this "weapon" really returns to a "daily driver status."

3. BODY -- Í've pulled the front clip - and traded it for an Ecklers - Flip Front--its a vintage (sn #15!). It will get a rework and re-enforcement with composite balsa core and biaxial. (Did I forget to mention I am a boatbuilder too?) Some of their earlier work was a bit less than perfection.) Reverse gills look too cool, and are a consideration - and may get built. With the radiator laydown, a splitter might well be in order and on the list. Can always happen later when I pull some dat after the car runs again.

I have some molds I made of the fender louvers that may find their way on the flip front too. Still need to sort out the front inner wheel wells and might adapt some from a C4 for the task. I picked up some wide rear flares (maybe they're L88s -- they have the mudflap) that I cut off another 'vette. I'm going to clean ém up and make some molds. Then make a set for the body. Hope to adapt a set to the flip front too. The rear bumper is off and I like the KAMM-look. Looks like I'll be building a new rear "bumper" too. SMOOTHIE - will be the style - so, no trim, and shaved handles etc. Thinking is wide open on the doors, may split them horizontally and glass the lower section in place. Hmm, sounds a bit odd, but it would make a nice air pipe/duct through the main section front to rear. We'll see how it models.

4. INTERIOR -- At this point - It'll be looking pretty SPARTAN. Mostly plain dash - circletrack style/drag car. Doors may get a gutting, but then an interior fiberglass doorskin. Rear "buckets" may get sacrificed to any suspension mods. A CAGE if the times/speeds warrant -- do that later. Clearly a simple dash could come out if dash bars are needed. I need to learn more about the HUDs now available. WHich are good - crap etc.

5. WHEELS TIRES -- That is maybe good news. The ones I have will sufice while the program moves/plods along. Later, will be an issue with my Chief Financial Officer -- She who must be Obeyed! But the cheap and quick to BADASSS is maybe some wide 2 inch spacers to fill up the flares! Later, some tires for the strip -- when we get to that fork -- we'll take it.

6. PAINT -- HAHHA -- may be primer grey and 'glass a while. WHoHOOO a, "paintless Pony."

WAIT A MINUTE! I've always wanted to build a Kit Car --- I AM!!!
And thats the car story too. I'm LOVIN-IT!!! Glad to be here! Thanks for all the support in advance. Hope that wasn't too long -- see the sig line I guess...

Cheers -- Jim

Well, this '72 and me been together some 15 years, guess you got ME beat a good bit....sounds like a fun project,

I too used to sail quite a bit, smaller boats...up to a 34' morgan that belonged to my ex inlaws....I used to live in DC for 53 years....GTFO about 12 years ago...
my '72 vert has a few modifications, and I wish I left it in primer gray....:clobbered:

Welcome to VM :hi:

i would rework the hinge on the flip front, the way it's set up to hinge at the header bar means the nose will drop down and you won't be able to open the hood very far at all unless you have the front raised.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
Twin Turbo - you're right. The hinge point needs to be moved up a lot. A fellow over at the Mako Site has done some good work - I might follow his lead on that mod.
Cheers - Jim