Want to install A/C

tosa

Hi
I have a 70 coupe and I want to install A/C I was wondering if anyone has done any of the kits and which one works the best. The car is a 350 /350 4 spd. I would like a strong blowing fan.

I would also like to install A/R Torque Thrust wheels but need to know what size would fit 17x8 is I am suure someone is running these wheels please advise.
Thank You

Haven't installed air in my car yet but I think most people like the Vintage Air systems.

As for the wheels, you're right. Lots of people have done it. The biggest thing you need to worry about is backspacing. You'll need 4", or "neutral", backspace for a factory style fitment. The other thing you need to consider is the placement of the e-brake cable tab on the trailing arm. It may need to be relocated to the top of the trailing arm for proper fitment. It is a very minor job but well worth the upgrade in tire technology.

I would do 9-9.5" in the rear x17 keeps tire costs down.....I happen to have 17x9.5 '89 vette rims all around with adapters.....

255 in front 275 in rear.....

:beer:

I installed the Vintage Air kit in my 68. Good product, blows cold. Very hi tech though, everything is controlled by a computer. Only problem I've had was a stuck heater control valve.
When I needed a universal kit for a 72 Olds (no one makes a direct fit) I went with Classic Auto Air. It was simpler and easier to modify with cable controls. It's worked perfectly all this 100 degree summer.
Both were installed in LSx swap cars and both companies swapped out parts and had great customer support. Their websites also have very complete instructions.
Downside to VA, costs more, hi tech guessing not ,any parts are "servicable". high shipping costs for individual parts (buy thru a local dealer).
Downside to CAA, the air door only separates 2 sets of ducts, so you cant separate defrost from heat, some people dont like the cable controls.

I installed the Vintage Air kit in my 68. Good product, blows cold. Very hi tech though, everything is controlled by a computer. Only problem I've had was a stuck heater control valve.
When I needed a universal kit for a 72 Olds (no one makes a direct fit) I went with Classic Auto Air. It was simpler and easier to modify with cable controls. It's worked perfectly all this 100 degree summer.
Both were installed in LSx swap cars and both companies swapped out parts and had great customer support. Their websites also have very complete instructions.
Downside to VA, costs more, hi tech guessing not ,any parts are "servicable". high shipping costs for individual parts (buy thru a local dealer).
Downside to CAA, the air door only separates 2 sets of ducts, so you cant separate defrost from heat, some people dont like the cable controls.

So they cable , not like stock on the air deflector controls....I went through later model air suck solenoids to activate the dash pots on my stockish system.....be hard to do on the V/A system I"d suppose....

:crutches:

When I bought my VA, about 3 years ago, it was about $1200. The CAA universal I bought this year was $900.
Plan on a full day since the center and right side dash as well as the center console has to be taken apart.

Thanks for all the answers looks like vintage air direct fit is the way to go
and I like the rim and tire combo also.

I would also like to install A/R Torque Thrust wheels but need to know what size would fit 17x8 is I am suure someone is running these wheels please advise.
Thank You

17x8 front with 255-50 is a good choice for stock suspension height (you want the tires to fill the fender opening otherwise it looks like a 4x4 with a lift kit) 17x9 would fit the rear with 4" BS , however..... there are only a few tires that actually fit that size rim and have the correct diameter (27") for the C3 fenders....
If you want to lower the car you can run 255-40 front and 285-40 rear (17x8 and 17x9)
If you want to keep the suspension stock you're better off with 17x8 and 255-50 all around...... that 275-50 tire that Gene mentioned is only available from one or two manufacturers (Nitto 555 f.e., think BFG makes it too) .... I'd be worried the tire won't be available next time you need new rubber....

Thank You

17x8 front with 255-50 is a good choice for stock suspension height (you want the tires to fill the fender opening otherwise it looks like a 4x4 with a lift kit) 17x9 would fit the rear with 4" BS , however..... there are only a few tires that actually fit that size rim and have the correct diameter (27") for the C3 fenders....
If you want to lower the car you can run 255-40 front and 285-40 rear (17x8 and 17x9)
If you want to keep the suspension stock you're better off with 17x8 and 255-50 all around...... that 275-50 tire that Gene mentioned is only available from one or two manufacturers (Nitto 555 f.e., think BFG makes it too) .... I'd be worried the tire won't be available next time you need new rubber....

Nitto 555 on my rears for years now, but I am concerned they NLA before long also....255 then I guess....285? cross that bridge when get to it.....
:crutches: