tire pressure for car hauler??/ what do i set tires at?

bobs77vet

1700lb trailer picking up 2200 lb car? 250 mile trip, dual axle trailer rated at 7000lbs what do i set pressure at? max rating on tire or something less? right now empty and cold they are at 36psi/ thks bob

what kind of tires and what are they rated at ?

2200lbs isn't all that much considering you have four tires carrying the weight, just like on a car... that's why I would think you inflate to 32-36psi and that should do it.... now, if your tires are tiny and rated at 400lbs each then you have a problem (1600lbs total)... do the tires match the trailer's rated capacity ? the max load is normally on the tire sidewall....

The car manufacturer could care less about how long the tires last- they rate the pressures for comfort and normal driving. The tire manufacturer bases their numbers on the load rating of the tire, and could care less about comfort.
My 1 ton pickup is a good example- pressure is 65 rear (duals) and 70 in the front. It'll beat you going down the road, but the first set of tires lasted nearly 80k, I've got 135k on it now and the tires are like new.

The car manufacturer could care less about how long the tires last- they rate the pressures for comfort and normal driving. The tire manufacturer bases their numbers on the load rating of the tire, and could care less about comfort.
My 1 ton pickup is a good example- pressure is 65 rear (duals) and 70 in the front. It'll beat you going down the road, but the first set of tires lasted nearly 80k, I've got 135k on it now and the tires are like new.

The passenger tires are a lot mores prone to inner or outer treadwear due to inflation pressure than truck tires.

What are you running for that mileage, load range H :bounce:

I run around 50 with my dually when mostly empty.