Some interesting metal working tools

I have been using the HF cutoff wheels for the last 20 years they are cheap and work well. i have tried more expensive ones and they are just more expensive and don't provide extra cutting time. also I have never had one fly apart on me, I do use a guard and full face mask and if i dont have a jacket on I use a leather apron
this is such a YMMV - for me, HF (which includes any 'cheap' abrasive), lasts 1/3rd as long as name brand stuff. If we're talking body abrasives - sandpaper and such - that number is more like HF lasts 25% as long as 3M (or similar). I haven't had many blades come apart, however, if it has - it was pretty much my fault - such as using a cut off wheel as a sanding disk... Or, (and you wouldn't love me if I didn't point this out) there are some people who break anvils in a sandbox - for them, it really doesn't matter the quality.... just sayin'

I just watched the video... none of those are professional-level abrasives. Every one of those are either Home Improvement stores (e.g. Home Depot), or HF...

professional brands

Norton
3M
United Abrasives

All of those tests were of Chinesium brands... all of them... probably all made by the same manufacturer. With that said, DeWalt and Milwaukee are starting to fix their abrasives line, so some are actually pretty good.... but lord help you if you get some NOS

Last edited:
Well, I'll warn any one who buys the HF wire wheels, you need to wear a face shield and heavy clothes as they tend to throw wires. :)

Yeah, digging wire out of your denim jeans is a bit disconcerting.

I like the rivet idea:

Cutting a circle out of that wheel was impressive (if they lasted more than once)!

Yeah, I always figured those dremel wheels were too pricey and broke too easy, so thought this was interesting. I bet a punch system might work good.

The rivet buffing wheel is a good one, probably best if you use SS rivets.

I am impressed with the shears they used to cut out the small wheel. That's gotta be tough on the blades.

Reactions: rtj
interesting, around here you can buy these mega kits at costco or BJs for pretty cheap, and they have all the accessories with them

What I found was I have a drawer full of those dremel parts, but the fiber cut off wheels and the arbors get used up fast.

Well, I looked at old tire machines for months and never went and bought one. But, I upgraded to a bigger 4x4 tractor and needed to remove the turf tires and install ag's, so I broke down and bought the HF for 50$.

Just finished the first tire and figure it is a good deal. Luckily I have lots of tire irons I've gathered over the years. Rears are 33x12.5x15 fronts are 23x8.5x12.

It will pay for itself on this job.

Attachments

• 021BFF14-2410-467A-9141-EBFB551BD05E.jpeg
    021BFF14-2410-467A-9141-EBFB551BD05E.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Got the first rear done. The sledge hammer was to modify the bead breaker. :).

Car tires mount and dismount are at least $25 each. My guess is tractor tires are a premium.

When you get lake effect snow and a long uphill driveway, this is a necessity.

Yes saved some $$:

"Tractor Tire & Industrial Tire Mounting Prices:

+tube price if needed:

Dry Mount - $2.50 per Inch

example 18.4-38 would cost 18x$2.50=$45"

Last edited:
Move back to Florida. No lake-effect snow.
We'd be glad to have you!

On the other hand - bet you could make points with the neighbors on the tire mounting (if needed).
Tire Rack delivery - you mount.
Cheers - Jim

I watched 2 guys work on mounting a 20 or 22 inch rim with a low profile tire. I was there for 20 min. No success for just 1 tire. The guys, the tire and the wheel were covered in hand cleaner.

There has to be a better way! Can't imagine what they charged.

Move back to Florida. No lake-effect snow.
We'd be glad to have you!

On the other hand - bet you could make points with the neighbors on the tire mounting (if needed).
Tire Rack delivery - you mount.
Cheers - Jim
I was fixing this place up to sell so I could move back to Fl, but life threw me a curve. So I ended up staying. Now real estate has skyrocketed in Fl. But, my goal is to get south someday.

I watched 2 guys work on mounting a 20 or 22 inch rim with a low profile tire. I was there for 20 min. No success for just 1 tire. The guys, the tire and the wheel were covered in hand cleaner.

There has to be a better way! Can't imagine what they charged.
The YouTube duck bill mod seems to be the way to go. I'll have to look at 20" wheels.

I think HF recommends 16" max.

I have a bunch of rims with bald tires, I plan to dismount them myself and save some $.

I found that the Dow scrubbing bubbles or no name brand worked good. Not too messy. Better than soapy water.

Kind of off topic..

Started to get more energy, the jab a year ago seemed to slow me down.

Anyway finally got the body off and ready for sale. I noticed people on YouTube were using engine hoists and really didn't want to buy a 2 post or gantry crane right now (mostly for room/space).

But, I didn't have a big investment in this body, so went for it.

Attachments

• F84307FC-A93E-48BB-9B70-92DA5B4C1959.jpeg
    F84307FC-A93E-48BB-9B70-92DA5B4C1959.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 6
Back to metal work.

I need to build up a snowblower shaft and turn it down before installing new bearings. Mainly because the replacement part Is over $300 and the shaft is only 10 thousand undersized due to old bearing spinning.

After lots of reading decided to tig silicon bronze and machine. Turns out if you are set for aluminum, you are good to go.

This was helpful.

82629922-BA0E-44FF-B22B-D10BD7CC34B5.jpeg

I had to do it twice, but saved over 300$ as I would have had to buy the shaft and sprocket.

10 or 15 thou just pealed off on the lathe, so I undercut about 50 thou on the radius and cut some groves in that. Then brazed a second time. Seems solid now.

I knew when I bought it this drive needed work. The seller was honest obout it, saying it needed bearings. It probably would have lasted a long time, but why chance it as 3 ft of snow would probably be on the driveway when it broke.

It's always a good feeling when you can fix something (rather than buy new). Good info