Some interesting metal working tools

That's nuts. I can't figure out how they make the welds on regular, garden variety headers!

Yeah, there are videos of them making the merge. A lot of work, too much for me, but I'd like to try some over frame side pipe headers rather than spend $4K.

A cool project in the vid below. Lots of info, pretty informative.

Wasn't going to post this, but his pipe clamp that goes in the vice is a great idea.

Attachments

• 06A53871-47C6-4880-B608-E5983C581A4A.png
    06A53871-47C6-4880-B608-E5983C581A4A.png
    752.6 KB · Views: 1
I was always kind of interested in boom tubes. This guy has a collection.

My dewalt compound mitre saw has a laser, but I always wanted something for my chop saw. This might do it.

Using low melt alloy cores. Pretty amazing, I've never seen this before.

That looks like a lot of work. You can buy telescoping square tubing. It's a little pricey. I've used it for longer tubes, works great.

Reactions: rtj
That looks like a lot of work. You can buy telescoping square tubing. It's a little pricey. I've used it for longer tubes, works great.

I imagine if you are building enough of "whatever" it would eventually pay off.

But you are right sometimes just pay the extra up front.

It sort of happened to me. I decided to do the duck bill mod on the hf tire changer. Found out someone sells it now for $350.

Decided I'd do it myself and next thing I'm machining brass bushings. :)

Anyway it changes tires really well. But I have to beef everything original up with extra steel.

Yeah, I know, my stick welds show I need a grinder for Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3
Latest purchase. Still cleaning it up and painting. I brazed up some cracks in one cast iron cover.

Logan 210, 10 inch lathe. I wanted to stay away from anything with exposed pulleys.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 4
It cleaned up pretty good. Now it is set up, I think it is okay. But, when unloading it, I was a bit worried. Turns out it was really dirty. But, i don't think it has had a lot of use and the motor seems strong. Ordered a tool post and 6" chuck.

Now to vacuum the 8x14 HF and put it up for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That's nice. I have a small old Craftsman lathe and an old Craftsman drill press. I tried to rebuild the drill press but was never able to locate bearings for the quill.

I would have thought craftsman bearings would be standard. Someone used it a lot in order to wear them out. :)

I think the one that I have is pre war. Called the "Mohawk". I rebuilt it but was never able to find bearings for it. I did find NOS replacement chuck jaws no luck with anything else. I might try to shim the quill axially and see it I cant get some of the play out of it, but that's a project for another day.

1689624196645.png

Well, I spent way more time and money on this than I planned. But, with the new chuck, tool post, and adding more change gears it cuts pretty good.

Vintage machine shop had all the manuals. And, there were lots of YouTube videos on machining the chuck backplate. My old HF lathe sold in a week and the new owner texted he was very happy with it.

I have a project for it.

IMG_0820.jpeg

10"? That's what I need. I've got a smaller lathe but it's not useful for anything other than spacers.

Yeah, 10 inch with 6 inch chuck now. Watch Facebook marketplace, there are always old lathes. I probably paid 200$ more than I should have, but it cleaned up nice and motor seems strong. It also came with an extra 18 change gears, a steady rest, some tooling, crappy 3 jaw chuck, and a 4 jaw chuck.

I didn't want exposed pulleys. If you want to learn about Logan lathes the guy to check out is tubalcain. I'll link a video. His videos helped a lot.

The weird thing was Craigslist sold my 8 in lathe. Facebook just seemed to be 20 questions. :)

Last edited:
I don't have much space for a bigger lathe. I used to have an old Carroll 10" line shaft lathe. It was very dangerous but was in great shape. The lathe was made in ~1910 in Batavia Ohio. I am about 25 miles from Batavia and I found someone that restored them. He had a warehouse full of NOS parts. I bought everything I needed to replace new. Of course that was 1985.

Okay, I know the feeling. I'm wanting to buy a bigger mill, but will hold off.

Thought this was interesting.

I've seen some YT stuff of people macking expansion chambers for motorcycles with a pressure washer. This guy does a similar thing with a welded seam. Then tries to kill/injure himself before his amphetamines' wear off.