Shift Linkage Adjustment on Muncie M21

68RAT

Is there a DIY instruction page on how to adjust the linkage on my 68 Muncie M21?

I'm having troubles getting it into 1st without hitting the center console. There is a good 1/2 inch at the bottom when in 2nd but 1st is so tight it is touching the console.

It also seems to get stuck in reverse once in a while (rarely) but when it does it is a REAL pain to get it out of reverse. It's like it is stuck in 1st and reverse at the same time. Car won't move forward but really stuck bad in reverse.

Looking for an instruction page with diagrams and pictures and a picture or measurements of the tool needed.

68RAT

My muncie used to hang up once in a while also...there are bushings between the shift rods and the levers...check those...

obviously degrease and relube the shifter itself....

hitting the front in my case was a matter of the fitment of the console itself, make sure all the bolts are in there and the ebrake console does not in fact set on top of the shifter console section, it does to cover the rear/side screws, but not any further, the position of the shifter console/plate is too far to the rear if so...you can also try adjusting underneath,.....

I had heard that later stick shift trannies took even ATF for fluid, instead of that old heavy 90 w gear oil stuff, so I changed to 30w synthetic engine oil, the thing shifted SO much easier, felt like a modern 4 cylinder car, nothing there....huge improvement....

once I got all that above, the thing never hung up again....

:smash:

Make this tool,remove rods from trans levers, slide tool in shifter,adjust rods to slide back into trans levers,pull tool out.
shiftertool23.jpg